Row 1 - 737-400 bad F seat

Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Row 1 - 737-400 bad F seat

Will be flying AS F for the first time this summer ANC- SEA. Only seat available is row 1- seat guru (which I know is not always reliable) says it has limited leg room and smell from lav. Just wondering opinion on this row from actual flyers? Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:47 am

I think all the F seats on the 400s and 700s are terrible. It's basically an economy seat without the physical middle seat. The bulkhead rows are tight, but not unbearable.

Oh, and the 400s smell because they're old. You're not going to smell the lav in row one.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Most 400's have the old 800 series F seats. They are not economy seats by any stretch of the imagination- much wider. With the newer seating (less padding) there seems to be improved room over the old F seats as they are thinner. But row 1 is a bit more tight.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
It's fine, take it and enjoy the flight!

Neil
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by off2rome
Will be flying AS F for the first time this summer ANC- SEA. Only seat available is row 1- seat guru (which I know is not always reliable) says it has limited leg room and smell from lav. Just wondering opinion on this row from actual flyers? ThaInks
I've spent a bit of time on the -400s and prefer row 2 when it's available. Row 1 is not as desirable to me because of the single window and lack of underseat storage. But if my only option is row 1, I'd choose 1C if it's available - despite my usual preference for a window seat, that particular aisle seat feels less 'boxed in' than the others. YMMV.

Originally Posted by United757
I think all the F seats on the 400s and 700s are terrible. It's basically an economy seat without the physical middle seat. The bulkhead rows are tight, but not unbearable.

Oh, and the 400s smell because they're old. You're not going to smell the lav in row one.
Sorry, but that is completely inaccurate. The seats on the 400s are a bit older, but they are definitely not economy seats. They are wide, well-padded, and seem to be a bit more reclined (when in the upright position) than the F seats on the 800s and 900s. I personally find them to be more comfortable when contrasted to those newer seats.

These older seats also seem positioned a bit higher than those on the newer aircraft, providing more under-seat storage in front of rows 2 and 3. The lack of in-seat power boxes also provides a bit more storage space - just carry an external battery back-up in your carry-on if you're worried about charging your device during flight.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Sorry, but that is completely inaccurate. The seats on the 400s are a bit older, but they are definitely not economy seats. They are wide, well-padded, and seem to be a bit more reclined (when in the upright position) than the F seats on the 800s and 900s. I personally find them to be more comfortable when contrasted to those newer seats.

They have reconfigured the 737-400s with the older 737-800 F seats, which are the same found on the 737-700. I did like the older 734 seats.

I'm a 75K and have been flying AS for years. Yes, it's an exaggeration, but to be fair, they are by far the worst domestic F seat I've ever experienced. They are narrow, thin, lack padding, the tray tables remind me of those in bulkhead Y seats, and because the gap between the seats is so large, there's absolutely no privacy.

It looks like a Y seat that's missing a middle.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:19 pm

And for reference, these were the old F seats found on a majority of the 734s (some had even older seats that resembled larger versions of what was found on the MD80s):

Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by United757
And for reference, these were the old F seats found on a majority of the 734s (some had even older seats that resembled larger versions of what was found on the MD80s):

That's the first time I've seen pillows and blankets on AS in years (maybe ever)...this must be an old picture since I thought that "test" was over.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
That's the first time I've seen pillows and blankets on AS in years (maybe ever)...this must be an old picture since I thought that "test" was over.
I know the second photo was from 2008, first one was from 2009?

Yeah, it's been a while since we've had pillows and blankets.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

There's quite a few blankets these days...and as they are 'one time use' I'm getting a stack
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:56 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
#1 you cant smell the lav

#2 leg room may be limited slightly but I think overall its more of a "brain games" type scenario where you mind actually plays tricks on your perception. In any case if you want lots of room for your legs sit in 1C since half of your space has unlimited leg room
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:00 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
thats an Athena find a cure bottle of water with AS branding on it. in the picture so that had to be pre the big ban from AS on water bottles from some supposed FAA fine or threatened fine. The blankets are back on night flights^ and the bottles are back but are Dasani and not AS branded. I have 15 or 20 of those AS Athena bottles. Wondering what I could sell them for now or 20 years from now, airlines memorabilia seems to sell quite well especially when they get bought or merge
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
Row 1 on the -400 is just fine, decent leg room, just missing the space under the seat in front but it is way better then being in Y. Have a good flight.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:08 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by Quattro
Row 1 on the -400 is just fine, decent leg room, just missing the space under the seat in front but it is way better then being in Y. Have a good flight.
row 1 on any AS jet these days is pretty much no worse than rows 2 3 or 4 when it comes to stowage under the seat. The under seat stowage sucks since those power boxes were added. A briefcase barely fits under that thing. My travel backpack that Ive been using for years no longer fits. All thats in it is a change of clothes(Im 5-8 150lb so its a small amount of clothes), a laptop, bose QC15s, minimal toiletries, and some other tiddly stuff like a mini mag light, pens, coins, aspirin, maybe beef jerky or trail mix etc... And it no longer fits unless I try to cram it in. It used to fit easily.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:11 pm

Not as good as other F seats but MUCH better than coach. Try it. I bet you'll like it. I've never smelled the lav.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.