Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

"Seats for this flight are under airport control"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan

We fly AS alot, living in Seattle, and I have never had this happen. I just booked flights to Burbank from Seattle in mid-March, using a companion certificate. When I went to choose seats, I got the message above for the outbound flight. For the inbound, there were only 2 seats available, not together, but I did choose those. Anyone know what is going on? Are these flights oversold?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enzian
We fly AS alot, living in Seattle, and I have never had this happen. I just booked flights to Burbank from Seattle in mid-March, using a companion certificate. When I went to choose seats, I got the message above for the outbound flight. For the inbound, there were only 2 seats available, not together, but I did choose those. Anyone know what is going on? Are these flights oversold?
If you're an AS elite, which I assume since you said you fly AS a lot, and there are only 2 seats available, that's a good sign that it's a VERY full (if not almost oversold flight) since elites are able to pick from any seat on the aircraft. If you're not elite, most if not all of the first half of the Y section will be blocked out so your choice of seats is more limited and in that case the elite section could be empty, but the non-elite section full (and therefore it isn't necessarily a "full" flight).
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Poster

We are not elite---by flying AS "a lot" I meant that it is the only domestic airline we fly. But we fly short West coast routes and do not accrue enough miles for elite status.

So should I be concerned? I still have time within the 24-hour period to change to a different flight (if there is one with seats). It would be a less convenient flight so not a change I want to make if this situation is nothing to cause concern.

On the other hand, we would rather make that change now than get bumped at the airport.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:54 am

We are not elite---by flying AS "a lot" I meant that it is the only domestic airline we fly. But we fly short West coast routes and do not accrue enough miles for elite status.

So should I be concerned? I still have time within the 24-hour period to change to a different flight (if there is one with seats). It would be a less convenient flight so not a change I want to make if this situation is nothing to cause concern.

On the other hand, we would rather make that change now than get bumped at the airport.
Have you checked to see what's for sale by fare bucket? Seat maps are not a reliable indicator of how many seats are available to sell. If you need assistance, what are your dates and flight numbers?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG
You should be able to do a dummy booking to see all seats including those available to elites. Most of those open at check-in. They do hold off some for airport assignment too.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Feb 25, 2016 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
One of the "tricks" of many frequent flyers is to always "View Seats" before booking. That gives you a good idea of whether your preferred seats are available.

For example, I strongly prefer an aisle seat. So, I will "View Seats" before booking a flight to make sure that there are aisle seats available. Depending on the fares, I generally would select a flight where I can get an aisle seat. If there is a big difference in the fares, I have been known to endure a window or middle seats.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

To clarify---I have already booked the flight---last night, so still,within the 24-hour change/cancellation period. It is Flightn520 on March 8. I did not check the seat map before booking. When it came to seat selection, the map showed all seats Xed out, and the message about "airport control" appeared. The two other non-stop flights that day have only a few middle seats left.

What is odd is then before I booked, it said "only 3 seats left at $xxx" and it still says that after I booked two of those seats.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
One of the "tricks" of many frequent flyers is to always "View Seats" before booking. That gives you a good idea of whether your preferred seats are available.

For example, I strongly prefer an aisle seat. So, I will "View Seats" before booking a flight to make sure that there are aisle seats available. Depending on the fares, I generally would select a flight where I can get an aisle seat. If there is a big difference in the fares, I have been known to endure a window or middle seats.
Yes, that would be a good practice, but I usually book flights way in advance----4-6 months ahead---so haven't had to worry about availability of seats. This is a last minute trip.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
To clarify---I have already booked the flight---last night, so still,within the 24-hour change/cancellation period. It is Flightn520 on March 8. I did not check the seat map before booking. When it came to seat selection, the map showed all seats Xed out, and the message about "airport control" appeared. The two other non-stop flights that day have only a few middle seats left.

What is odd is then before I booked, it said "only 3 seats left at $xxx" and it still says that after I booked two of those seats.
I just pulled up flight 520 on March 8th and I see 38 open seats when I click on the seat map and all of them are in row 6 through the last exit row. They of course are only available for advance assignment if you have elite status.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks. So will those seats be available to non- elites at checkin? Or are we really at risk of being bumped because we have no seats assigned?

Last edited by enzian; Feb 25, 2016 at 10:57 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:51 am

Thanks. So will those seats be available to non- elites at checkin? Or are we really at risk of being bumped because we have no seats assigned?
F7 D7 P7 U7 A2 Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L7 V7 K3 G2 T0 R0 N7 W0 E0

There are plenty of seats for sale. Check in right at 24 hours prior and you should have many good elite seats to choose from.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Although probably not relevant to the OP's situation, when does Alaska'a upcoming "Economy+" seating go live ? Has AS announced the process for booking, costs, etc. for both Elites and non-Elites yet ?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat
F7 D7 P7 U7 A2 Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L7 V7 K3 G2 T0 R0 N7 W0 E0

There are plenty of seats for sale. Check in right at 24 hours prior and you should have many good elite seats to choose from.
Are those the fare buckets? Do they overlap? They add up to more than 100 seats available,which I assume is not correct.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:16 pm

Are those the fare buckets? Do they overlap? They add up to more than 100 seats available,which I assume is not correct.

7 is the maximum shown for any fare bucket, so 7 means at least 7 available,
D, P, U, A are all subsets of F - the first class cabin.
Z, S, B, M, H, K, L, V, K, G, T, R, N, E, W, V are all subsets of Y - the coach cabin
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Generally, fare buckets are "nested" within each other. Plus, "7" is typically the maximum number of available seats displayed (that is, "7" means 7 or more seats available).

My earlier suggestion was simply (in the future) to remember to check seat maps before booking. It seems that AS is blocking nearly half the plane for elites, if you look at the seat maps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.