Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

First Class service standards (meal plating/courses, hot towels, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class service standards (meal plating/courses, hot towels, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:12 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
I flew SEA-IAD-SEA and had the lunch/dinner menu with choice of salad, fruit/cheese, cod, chicken, and pasta both times. On the outbound, the f/a served the whole meal on one tray so between my wife and I we got pictures of everything on the menu. There was no appearance of the snack basket on either flight.

The food is decent, having increased choice is great, but the service seems slow/hard for the f/as.

Based on reports upthread, it seems like it would be better to split the service of cold and hot items into seperate courses, this would get food to hungry pax sooner and would seem like a "nicer" service. To me, serving so much at once seems a bit less-nice than the old three course meals. It's a bit odd to be served the salad and hot options all at once (and it's odder still when dessert is on the same tray)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Still only one FA working the F cabin? Always felt bad for the FA since they had to prep/plate the meals, serve drinks and food, etc. by themselves unless someone from the back helps. On AA, they usually have 2 FAs working the F cabin.. one working the galley, the other working the cabin.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Still only one FA working the F cabin? Always felt bad for the FA since they had to prep/plate the meals, serve drinks and food, etc. by themselves unless someone from the back helps. On AA, they usually have 2 FAs working the F cabin.. one working the galley, the other working the cabin.
Sounds like with some of the FA's the F position might become more junior on routes like RDU due to the "increased workload" ~ yes this was FA gossip
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Is this new service on breakfast flights as well? It would be great not to be stuck with a egg dish for those of us who are not big fans.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by lalala
Is this new service on breakfast flights as well? It would be great not to be stuck with a egg dish for those of us who are not big fans.

Yes, on the trans-cons. It's been covered over in the What Will Alaska Be Serving in First Class 2016 Edition thread.

This post by CDKing includes specific information about the breakfast along with photos.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Yes, on the trans-cons. It's been covered over in the What Will Alaska Be Serving in First Class 2016 Edition thread.

This post by CDKing includes specific information about the breakfast along with photos.
will check it out. I'm flying to RDU this week. I usually pick up a banana at the BR and a chocolate soda at Dilettante and then top it off with a multivitamin.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Herein lies one of the ongoing problems I've seen with Alaska's service:

There appears to be a standard - as you've indicated above - but little to no enforcement of that standard. As a passenger it's frustrating to be served by a slacker who's too lazy to do the service properly. I should imagine as a flight attendant it's equally frustrating because these people - through their haphazard approach to service - have the potential to cast you all in a diminished light amongst new or occasional flyers.

Does any self-policing go on amongst the crews?
Ditto for me. Was on KOA - PDX a while back in first and had FA basically drop tray with everything - nuts and all courses and go sit down. Snack basket 40 minutes out. Worst service I've had on AS.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I flew SEA-BWI and BWI-LAX last month. On both flights the FA served the meals one course at a time and later served the nuts and snack basket. both flights seemed to be a more junior crew, but they knew what they were doing.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS
HNL/SEA flight was also sub par. What is it about Hawaii flights?
FA in F overwhelmed and frustrated. Hard to relax when FA is "testy" .
I can understand some of the frustration, new menus and prep, and no wine opener on board to open bottles. Wine came fromY, a glass at a time. Not good wine.
She said it was the worst flight she has had in 20 years.
I felt bad for her.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS
Update on transcons small plate choices.
Flew F today SEA /LAX . Actual choice offered for breakfast . 2.5 hour flight.
FA did mention in our chat that the choice of 3 of the small plates would be changing.
She said it now be only 2 choices. FA's have complained that the trays are too heavy and meal service is too difficult with 3 choices of the 5 offerings.
Truth or rumor, who knows? This is the new "chatter".
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
FA did mention in our chat that the choice of 3 of the small plates would be changing.
She said it now be only 2 choices. FA's have complained that the trays are too heavy and meal service is too difficult with 3 choices of the 5 offerings.
What was the "choice" on SEA-LAX...if the non-egg option was yogurt/granola, then that's really nothing new...it's been that way for awhile now. If it was eggs or another hot entree like french toast, then that's definitely news. I hope they don't go from 3 to 2 choices on transcons....for one, they don't need to put all three dishes on the tray at once and since their loading all 5 choices per passenger, that would be a ton of wasted food.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pcoll
This is a flight attendant, once again, making stuff up. I wouldn't even say this is a rumor. This is just a FA making stuff up.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
What was the "choice" on SEA-LAX...if the non-egg option was yogurt/granola, then that's really nothing new...it's been that way for awhile now. If it was eggs or another hot entree like french toast, then that's definitely news. I hope they don't go from 3 to 2 choices on transcons....for one, they don't need to put all three dishes on the tray at once and since their loading all 5 choices per passenger, that would be a ton of wasted food.
They are no longer loading all 5 choices per passenger. They've refined how much is being boarded based on the experience thus far. So far, since they've changed the #'s of what's being boarded I've yet to see anyone not get exactly what they wanted so it was a good decision. I haven't heard anything about changing the numbers from 3 selections to 2. And yes, it really is necessary to put all items on one tray. With the way this service flows it would be difficult, at best, trying to do it in courses.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
They are no longer loading all 5 choices per passenger. They've refined how much is being boarded based on the experience thus far. So far, since they've changed the #'s of what's being boarded I've yet to see anyone not get exactly what they wanted so it was a good decision. I haven't heard anything about changing the numbers from 3 selections to 2. And yes, it really is necessary to put all items on one tray. With the way this service flows it would be difficult, at best, trying to do it in courses.
Whew...glad that was a rumor. Is the plan to rotate the five choices monthly? I'm assuming the fruit and cheese platter will be the one constant.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Glad to hear this, AS Flyer. Not that you're speaking for the airline or anything , but glad nonetheless.

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
This is a flight attendant, once again, making stuff up. I wouldn't even say this is a rumor. This is just a FA making stuff up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.