Wiki Posts
Search

60 new E175 jets on the way for Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
60 new E175 jets on the way for Alaska

Saw this, 30 on order and 30 options. Brad said "Portland will be seeing a lot of the 175" lets hope some of those are on new routes. http://www.seattletimes.com/business...regional-jets/
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Might be a 734 replacement too...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:32 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
so AS is buying them outright and not using Skywest? At least thats how I read it. Assuming this will phase out most of the Q400s and all of the CRJ 7s there isnt much of a net increase in a/c. Would be nice to see these things replace the Q400s in Alaska
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

CRJ replacements are on order already for operation by oo. This should end up as a net positive,
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ANC
so AS is buying them outright and not using Skywest? At least thats how I read it. Assuming this will phase out most of the Q400s and all of the CRJ 7s there isnt much of a net increase in a/c. Would be nice to see these things replace the Q400s in Alaska
It does read like Alaska Air Group is buying them. That doesn't mean AS will operate them; I think that the regional jets operated by regional airlines are sometimes owned or leased by the regionals and sometimes owned or leased by the marketing carrier. And, of course, it's possible that QX will be operating some of them. A fleet that large would easily be large enough for it to make sense, unlike the much-smaller fleet of CR7s that Alaska Air Group moved from QX to Skywest in the name of fleet commonality.

I also assume that this is part of Tilden's stated plan to move towards retiring the Q400s, which makes it even more likely that QX will operate some or all of these planes.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
As I understand it AS has ordered 23 E175's for use by Skywest, which will replace all CRJ's and add to the Skywest/Alaska fleet. In addition AS ordered 30 more E175's with option for 30 additional. All of those will go to QX and replace most, but not all of the Q400's. This will give a net increase to QX. As best I can tell the Q's will operate routes in the 400 miles and less area. My guess is QX wil replace some west coast flying with the E175's and free up some AS 737's.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Nothing is official I don't think. Though I don't doubt this is accurate.
From the article:
Alaska Airlines spokeswoman Bobbie Egan said “no final decision has been made, no documents have been signed and our board of directors has not approved any new jet purchase.”
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
As I understand it AS has ordered 23 E175's for use by Skywest, which will replace all CRJ's and add to the Skywest/Alaska fleet. In addition AS ordered 30 more E175's with option for 30 additional. All of those will go to QX and replace most, but not all of the Q400's. This will give a net increase to QX. As best I can tell the Q's will operate routes in the 400 miles and less area. My guess is QX wil replace some west coast flying with the E175's and free up some AS 737's.
I also think some West Coast flying out of SEA currently done with 734s (and other 737s) will be replaced with E175s, if AS is going to be operating over almost 100 of them. It's a reasonable way to respond to AA and DL adding a ton of capacity to SEA/PDX-Greater LA/Bay Area.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Nothing is official I don't think. Though I don't doubt this is accurate.
From the article:
Alaska Airlines spokeswoman Bobbie Egan said “no final decision has been made, no documents have been signed and our board of directors has not approved any new jet purchase.”
Agreed. There may be an "understanding" but no ink has been signed.

Might happen Wednesday...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
No link to make it "official" but the BoD has approved Horizon Air to bring 30 regional jets onto the property. Manufacturer and type to be determined shortly (here's hoping they're E175s!).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by SOCguy
No link to make it "official" but the BoD has approved Horizon Air to bring 30 regional jets onto the property. Manufacturer and type to be determined shortly (here's hoping they're E175s!).
You're word is good enough!

Cool
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k, Skyteam Elite Plus
I hope they're E175s! They are the one regional aircraft that I truly don't mind flying on!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:03 pm

I'm hoping it's the Bombardiers instead; they seem to be excellent from a passenger experience perspective.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dickerso
I'm hoping it's the Bombardiers instead; they seem to be excellent from a passenger experience perspective.
CRJ-900s? Are you high?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Originally Posted by dickerso
CRJ-900s? Are you high?
dickerso, are you referring to the still-almost-fictitious C-Series? Who knows what the passenger experience will be? And the reliability? I'll take the E-jets, which are actually in service and have been for more than a decade. And 2x3 beats 3x3 seating, but 2x2 is even better from a passenger perspective.

If you're referring to the CRJ-900, I'm with 3Cforme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.