Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

AS and HA

Hi All AS Experts,

I'm wondering if I buy "2" separate tickets
AS 749 ATL-SEA
HA 29 SEA-OGG
with 45 min connection in between
Can they check my luggage all the way through or I have to do the check-in when I arrive at SEA
Thanks !!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AS should be able to ticket HA...not sure the fare, but would require a call. Not all fares are combinable. Does the AS to AS metal not work? As for two seperate tickets- in theory it could work, but you're dealing with contract workers at checkin so it might not be successful. And I'm not certain AS' policies these days for situations like this either- some back & forth has occurred.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
They aren't going to check your bag through and that's extremely risky connection. you will be responsible to buy a new ticket on HA if you miss your connection. Unless of course HA is willing to reschedule you for a missed flight outside their control for no charge, which i doubt. If you even attempt this do not plan on checking any bags, carry-on only. now if they run out of overhead bin space you would be without your items
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AS should be able to ticket HA...not sure the fare, but would require a call. Not all fares are combinable. Does the AS to AS metal not work? As for two seperate tickets- in theory it could work, but you're dealing with contract workers at checkin so it might not be successful. And I'm not certain AS' policies these days for situations like this either- some back & forth has occurred.
I'm trying to arrive at KOA before 5:30, but the flight operated by AS is gonna cost me 800 while flying in this way only cost ~ 400 so ....
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
They aren't going to check your bag through and that's extremely risky connection. you will be responsible to buy a new ticket on HA if you miss your connection. Unless of course HA is willing to reschedule you for a missed flight outside their control for no charge, which i doubt. If you even attempt this do not plan on checking any bags, carry-on only. now if they run out of overhead bin space you would be without your items
if they can't check my bag then big NO for sure lol
thanks though
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't get on one ticket either as the published minimum connect time from AS-HA is 90 min
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
If anything is not timed right this won't work for you. It's not unusual for a delay or even headwinds to put you out of sync. Then you'll be responsible for a ticket for the flight you missed.

what are your dates?

Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
Hi All AS Experts,

I'm wondering if I buy "2" separate tickets
AS 749 ATL-SEA
HA 29 SEA-OGG
with 45 min connection in between
Can they check my luggage all the way through or I have to do the check-in when I arrive at SEA
Thanks !!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
If anything is not timed right this won't work for you. It's not unusual for a delay or even headwinds to put you out of sync. Then you'll be responsible for a ticket for the flight you missed.

what are your dates?
2/4 one way only
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

One would be crazy to do a 45-minute interline connection with carry-ons; certifiably insane to try it with checked luggage.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You can't get on one ticket either as the published minimum connect time from AS-HA is 90 min
And while OP might be able to interline bags if the connection was over MCT, under MCT = not gonna happen.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by WebTraveler

what are your dates?
If you miss the second flight, HA would most likely rebook you on the next flight without paying a change fee or the fare difference. Logistically, I don't know if the OP can wait for the next HA flight though.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Didn't realize this was the case. Thanks for the unfortunate update.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I doubt they will do this for you. AS refused to interline my luggage when I booked ANC-HNL on AS and a separate HNL-OGG ticket on HA. I don't remember the connection time, but it was enough to get my bag, transfer terminals, re-enter security, and board the HA flight. So clearly there was enough time to interline the bag, but they couldn't risk the liability.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by koopas
If you miss the second flight, HA would most likely rebook you on the next flight without paying a change fee or the fare difference. Logistically, I don't know if the OP can wait for the next HA flight though.
Most likely = questionable... far from guaranteed (especially since, as far as they're concerned, you're just starting a new trip with them and them only).
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And while OP might be able to interline bags if the connection was over MCT, under MCT = not gonna happen.
I want to add that MCT is not the SCT (sensible or sane, you pick) it's just the minimum the 2 airlines are going to accept on same ticket and still take responsibility under the COC if they make you late to your connection spot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.