Customer care "discount code"

Old Jan 5, 16, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Customer care "discount code"

I got a $100 discount code from Customer Care as compensation for a very long delay. I don't fly AS much these days (I miss them, but they don't fly the routes I need), so I have few opportunities to use this and I'm a little bit out of the loop on their policies.

I am planning a trip now where I could use Alaska, and I also have a companion fare from my AS credit card. But it appears that since these are both considered "discount codes," and you can only have one discount code per transaction, there's no way to use them together. Is that right? It seems kind of disappointing that Customer Care would compensate me with something that they know can't be used in conjunction with any other discount. Has anyone succeeded at convincing them to apply the discount manually?
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Only one discount code per reservation.

However the date listed on the code is a 'book by' date, so one has quite a bit of time to use it. ^
Old Jan 5, 16, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MVP
Also disappointing to find that these cannot be used for all published fares. We tried to use one for discounted F and found that it can only be used for full F. Y fares seem more flexible for these codes. But yes, only one per PNR.
Which is why we would do 2 one ways to use up codes from customer care.
Old Jan 22, 17, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If a $200 discount code is applied to a $150 purchase, what happens to the balance? Is it retained and can the code be reused to capture the balance?
Old Jan 22, 17, 7:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
From the terms and conditions you can read by clicking on the discount code name in your account:

Discount Code is relinquished at time of ticketing and void for future changes or purchases
You won't get the $50.

Neil
Old Jan 22, 17, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
From the terms and conditions you can read by clicking on the discount code name in your account:
I just got the code and it's not in my account yet, so nothing to click. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jan 22, 17, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
I just got the code and it's not in my account yet, so nothing to click. Thanks for the clarification.
You can book with an additional refundable (or if you're MVPG or higher that doesn't matter) flight and then you can essentially bank the discount until that ticket expires.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: