Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by emofeng
From what i've read so far, Is the BA website the best place to find CX availability? If it is available, I can call AS to help me book it?
Correct. But I did manage to find one discrepancy in availability while switching some flights earlier this year--i.e., one particular CX flight showed three seats open in J on the BA site, but the AS agent couldn't see it. Thankfully other flights on the same route that day were open.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by emofeng
Hi all. I just status matched my UA 1K to Alaska MVP Gold 75k. I'm based in SFO and have never taken a single AS flight(plenty on VX though).

For 2017, I'm planning to fly AS a lot more. I'm still learning the frequent flyer program and reading this sub-forum definitely helps.

My main goal is to acquire AS miles to redeem them for CX use(from SFO to JNB/SYD in Business/First). From what i've read so far, Is the BA website the best place to find CX availability? If it is available, I can call AS to help me book it?

I'm planning for something in October of 2017 or January of 2018, so I was looking into availability prior to transferring starpoints(to VX then AS of course).

Thanks guys! excited to be here.
Correct. Keep in mind that CX flies to more destinations than just SFO, so checking multiple routes will leave you much more flexible with award availability. If you want to limit yourself to west-coast flights then also consider LAX and YVR, that'll give you more daily flights with availability if you're willing to position. Combining them in the same AS award will be a bit of a pain because AS has no non-stop SFO-LAX or SFO-YVR flights.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:02 pm

1st time MVPG

New to gold and see I have four upgrades now. Still confused on how all this works but....I am looking at a flight from SEA-MCO that's $299ow I clicked on mvpg and the $424 flight shows up and has a solid blue F. When I click on it and then go to pick seats it puts me in coach...So I;m guessing it doesn't mean its immediately available for upgrade? Is that right? Sorry for being a newb to this whole upgrade thing. (PS. Using a $99 companion fare also)
Attached Images  
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
Flew LAX-SEA early morning during the holidays. FA announced it was a full flight.
I don't think I've ever seen this before but there was an open seat in First Class.
How often have you seen open seats in FC?
Should that give me hope that my new MVP status might actually get me upgraded sometimes?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by shand32783
New to gold and see I have four upgrades now. Still confused on how all this works but....I am looking at a flight from SEA-MCO that's $299ow I clicked on mvpg and the $424 flight shows up and has a solid blue F. When I click on it and then go to pick seats it puts me in coach...So I;m guessing it doesn't mean its immediately available for upgrade? Is that right? Sorry for being a newb to this whole upgrade thing. (PS. Using a $99 companion fare also)
If you make your way through most of the purchase process, the final page before confirmation will have an option immediately below the check boxes for first and premium class upgrades if you're on a GGU-eligible fare and there's U space. You'll then be able to apply the GGU immediately after purchase.
Should that give me hope that my new MVP status might actually get me upgraded sometimes?
As an MVP this year, I got upgraded on four of my seven eligible Alaska flights (and even two of my four Delta flights), I think in large part because I tend to book several months out. Keep in mind, though, that now fare bucket is a factor in upgrade order, so I'm expecting my upgrade frequency to go down a bit.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I did a search and did not seem to find any definitive answer on this so my apologies if I missed anything. I'm booking flights operated by DL to be credited to my AS account and I'm debating between F or W. In looking at Alaska's mileage chart, it shows W fares (premium economy) earn according to original booking class. Except W is the original booking class. I know for a while when DL introduced the W fares that they were earning 0 miles on AS, but with the addition of W to the accrual chart, I'm just trying to figure out if the extra money is worth it to requalify early for my AS status. These are for flights operated before the partnership ceases. Anyone with experience with this care to chime in on the accrual rate? Thanks!

Edit: Answered my own question by looking around on the booking page. For those interested, while W may be the class shown on the DL page, when you reach the trip summary page, scroll down to the bottom and in the blue box click on "Fare Rules, Changes & Cancellation Policies". This will bring up the fare code for each segment. The first letter of the fare code is the "original booking class". It seems that most W fares book into V or X (anyways the numerous routes and dates I was looking at all booked into one of these two), which earn only 50% of flown miles on AS. Worth the extra money for the F upgrade in my particular case.

Last edited by aves17; Dec 31, 2016 at 7:26 am
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by shand32783
To clarify: If you want to use 2 of your upgrade certs you should select the MVP® Gold guest option to get the qualifying fare. That fare would probably be lower than $424. On the other hand if you want to use your MVPG status to upgrade at time of purchase and save your upgrade certs for another flight you should select the MVP® Gold button. Either way you can use your companion fare and, as always, be sure upgrade space is available (white letter F in dark blue box) just before buying.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aves17
I did a search and did not seem to find any definitive answer on this so my apologies if I missed anything. I'm booking flights operated by DL to be credited to my AS account and I'm debating between F or W. In looking at Alaska's mileage chart, it shows W fares (premium economy) earn according to original booking class. Except W is the original booking class. I know for a while when DL introduced the W fares that they were earning 0 miles on AS, but with the addition of W to the accrual chart, I'm just trying to figure out if the extra money is worth it to requalify early for my AS status. These are for flights operated before the partnership ceases. Anyone with experience with this care to chime in on the accrual rate? Thanks!

Edit: Answered my own question by looking around on the booking page. For those interested, while W may be the class shown on the DL page, when you reach the trip summary page, scroll down to the bottom and in the blue box click on "Fare Rules, Changes & Cancellation Policies". This will bring up the fare code for each segment. The first letter of the fare code is the "original booking class". It seems that most W fares book into V or X (anyways the numerous routes and dates I was looking at all booked into one of these two), which earn only 50% of flown miles on AS. Worth the extra money for the F upgrade in my particular case.
There have been a few circumstances where W was actually the underlying fare class and no miles were earned so you do need to through those steps every time when looking at economy comfort flights
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:08 pm

Thanks

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
To clarify: If you want to use 2 of your upgrade certs you should select the MVP® Gold guest option to get the qualifying fare. That fare would probably be lower than $424. On the other hand if you want to use your MVPG status to upgrade at time of purchase and save your upgrade certs for another flight you should select the MVP® Gold button. Either way you can use your companion fare and, as always, be sure upgrade space is available (white letter F in dark blue box) just before buying.
I would say yes....that's where I was going with this question. If I book the $424 fare my companion and I can upgrade immediately without using the gold upgrade coupons correct? Do I just call and ask for the upgrade then?

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
To keep database issues at a minimum, we rotate large threads annually. While this one is now closed to posting, we've started a new one for 2017, which you can find here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...e-new-old.html

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.