Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Refresh the app by pulling down from the top. Sometimes, just touching on 'my account' and going back will sync the trip. If it still doesn't update, take down the app and re-open it.
Thanks. Worked for Wednesday's comp upgrade for me but March Companion Fare/GGU Hawaii trip still has old seats. Something to do with having a companion on the reservation?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Separated on UG List

Hello, fellow frequent flyers,

I've got an Upgrade question for y'all.

I'm MVPG flying with a non status AA member. I bought the tickets a month ago at same time on the same reservation OW SEA-BWI operating today in fare class G.

As you can see I, Gra/J, am MVPG and Vir/J is AA plan (does not have an AS account).

What's strange is that the AA member Vir/J is first on the upgrade list and I, Gra/J, am 4th on the list.

Does anyone have an explanation of why we got separated by two others on the upgrade list and why the non MP member is ahead of the MVPG member?

I did ask the agent working the flight about it. I'm guessing her explanation is complete nonsense. Nontheless here it is:

She said the list shows her that Vir/J is Gold and Gra/J is not. She said that all non status on the same reservation go below all MVP and that the system swapped up. She went on to tel me that million milers are always on top and that if some one has more miles than me they are on top.

Last edited by JimmyJoe; Jan 13, 2016 at 9:49 am
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:29 pm

I am a newbie trying to get first rewards trip. Using Avios -> Alaska.

The flight I want (6/3 Friday afternoon) has only one award seat left, but there's two of us. What are the chances that another one will open up? BA person said to keep checking back on website. Otherwise I can get a much later time with award seating, but would prefer to get in a bit earlier.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by vasher
I am a newbie trying to get first rewards trip. Using Avios -> Alaska.

The flight I want (6/3 Friday afternoon) has only one award seat left, but there's two of us. What are the chances that another one will open up? BA person said to keep checking back on website. Otherwise I can get a much later time with award seating, but would prefer to get in a bit earlier.
It depends on which route, but it sounds like there are multiple frequencies available. What I would do, personally:

- Secure the one seat on the flight that you desire;
- Book the 2nd seat separately on the later flight.

I don't know how Avios works... can you switch flights later without penalty, if availability opens up? If so, then just keep checking on that. If not, then wait until the day of departure, then use AS's same-day change feature to change to the flight you want ($25 for non-status pax).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:34 am

Just sent in a status match request from AA Plat to (hopefully) MVPG.

I'm curious if I'll get the four upgrade certificates through matching or if that's only through earning that status outright. And would I be eligible for upgrade certificates as a new year gift next January (assuming they offer it again)? Found conflicting results so I figured I could get some clarification here.

Also, if I do get them, can you combine guest upgrade certificates with the companion certificates from the BoA AS card?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
Just sent in a status match request from AA Plat to (hopefully) MVPG.

I'm curious if I'll get the four upgrade certificates through matching or if that's only through earning that status outright. And would I be eligible for upgrade certificates as a new year gift next January (assuming they offer it again)? Found conflicting results so I figured I could get some clarification here.

Also, if I do get them, can you combine guest upgrade certificates with the companion certificates from the BoA AS card?
I matched to MVPG in Nov and received the 4 GGUs plus the 2 gifted. And yes you can use them with the companion fare.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I matched to MVPG in Nov and received the 4 GGUs plus the 2 gifted. And yes you can use them with the companion fare.
Thanks for the clarification. I believe my status will only be good until the end of this year, whereas matching after October keeps you good the remainder of the year plus the entire next year. And I'm not sure I'll be able to stay MVPG after this year, so I guess I'm just curious if I'd still get the option for the certificates if my status drops off.

In other words, is it a reward for being MVPG the previous year? Or a reward for carrying it over into the next year?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
Thanks for the clarification. I believe my status will only be good until the end of this year, whereas matching after October keeps you good the remainder of the year plus the entire next year. And I'm not sure I'll be able to stay MVPG after this year, so I guess I'm just curious if I'd still get the option for the certificates if my status drops off.

In other words, is it a reward for being MVPG the previous year? Or a reward for carrying it over into the next year?
Isnt it neither, but a reward for BECOMING MVPG, regardless of previous/future status?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I just bought an ex-PDX ticket on FI for September, but unfortunately FI doesn't participate in Precheck. I've gotten a bit spoiled with Pre since I got Global Entry last year, but mainly I'm just concerned about long security lines given that I'm departing on a Friday afternoon after heading to the airport straight from work. So I'm thinking about buying a refundable fare on a Precheck-eligible (i.e., US) so I don't have to worry about getting stuck in line; does anyone have experience doing this on AS to know if they don't like it and whether I should try it with a carrier I don't use, like UA?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by jinglish
I just bought an ex-PDX ticket on FI for September, but unfortunately FI doesn't participate in Precheck. I've gotten a bit spoiled with Pre since I got Global Entry last year, but mainly I'm just concerned about long security lines given that I'm departing on a Friday afternoon after heading to the airport straight from work. So I'm thinking about buying a refundable fare on a Precheck-eligible (i.e., US) so I don't have to worry about getting stuck in line; does anyone have experience doing this on AS to know if they don't like it and whether I should try it with a carrier I don't use, like UA?
I *think* that once you check in, you have to call to get your refund. In other words, you can't do it online. Just book a PDX-SEA shuttle route as they are the most frequent.

But wouldn't it just be easier to simply wait in the regular line? It's not that bad. Once you spend the time booking and canceling, you will have used up the time saved.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by sturges
I *think* that once you check in, you have to call to get your refund. In other words, you can't do it online. Just book a PDX-SEA shuttle route as they are the most frequent.

But wouldn't it just be easier to simply wait in the regular line? It's not that bad. Once you spend the time booking and canceling, you will have used up the time saved.
On top of that, Pre-Check isn't guaranteed, and I'm betting a one-way, refundable fare is one of those that might trigger the "random selection" of a pax to go through the regular screening process. Wouldn't that be a hoot?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
On top of that, Pre-Check isn't guaranteed, and I'm betting a one-way, refundable fare is one of those that might trigger the "random selection" of a pax to go through the regular screening process. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

I get SSSS far too often to try to play that game.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
That's the main reason why I always check in the day before the flight online or on my phone, to make sure I have Pre on my boarding pass and find out if I have to be at the airport earlier.
I *think* that once you check in, you have to call to get your refund. In other words, you can't do it online.
...aaaaaand that seals the deal then, since I won't actually be saving any time. At least I can count on the line at D/E security to be better than A/B/C.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:34 pm

AA/BA codeshare earning

Have a question about earning miles on Mileage Plan for a ticket bought on aa.com with AA flight numbers but operated on BA metal.
It is not within the eligible flight numbers range on AA but since both AA and BA are Mileage Plan partners, it should work, no...?
or not...? it's going to be the deciding factor whether I purchase through AA or BA.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
Have a question about earning miles on Mileage Plan for a ticket bought on aa.com with AA flight numbers but operated on BA metal.
It is not within the eligible flight numbers range on AA but since both AA and BA are Mileage Plan partners, it should work, no...?
or not...? it's going to be the deciding factor whether I purchase through AA or BA.

Many thanks in advance!
not really, no

multiple problems

To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.

same text for BA

so the flight needs to be marketed AND operated by the same airline... so an AA-marketed, BA-operated flight won't count, regardless of the flight number. If the flight number is ALSO not eligible, then you have a double no-no. Why do you think it says "flight numbers eligible" if AS is just going to ignore it? the flight numbers are also restrictive if the flight is BA marketed&operated, that restriction doesn't go away just because you're using a codeshare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.