Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Family of 4, 2 credit cards, 2 companion fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family of 4, 2 credit cards, 2 companion fares?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Question Family of 4, 2 credit cards, 2 companion fares?

I was planning on getting an Alaska credit card and using the companion fare for a planned (but not booked) spring break trip. Should my husband get one as well, so each kid can get a companion fare? The ticket is pretty expensive so we would definitely save some money. But, would we have to do two separate reservations? Is that risky? I am worried about two things (1) what if we book one set of people and then the other goes to book but the flight is sold out? is there a way to book all 4 at the same time? (2) if we have to book 2 separate reservations, is there a risk of one set of people getting bumped?

Also, I am anxious to make a reservation because Orbitz said there were less than 8 seats left on these flights (I wouldn't book on Orbitz, just checking for flights). I am worried the flights might sell out before I get my companion fare code...any advise on that? Is that even accurate?

Thank you!!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FT! The companion fare codes are added to your Alaska Mileage Plan account very quickly, often before you even receive the credit card. I wouldn't worry too much about the flight selling out.

But I'm not really an Alaska flyer (just a user of their Mileage Plan program ), so I'll let others add more detail.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Great way for a family of 4 to mitigate costs.

Several years ago one could call AS to book this on one PNR, but I don't think AS permits companion certificate bookings over the phone anymore.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by travelfam7700
I was planning on getting an Alaska credit card and using the companion fare for a planned (but not booked) spring break trip. Should my husband get one as well, so each kid can get a companion fare? The ticket is pretty expensive so we would definitely save some money. But, would we have to do two separate reservations? Is that risky? I am worried about two things (1) what if we book one set of people and then the other goes to book but the flight is sold out? is there a way to book all 4 at the same time? (2) if we have to book 2 separate reservations, is there a risk of one set of people getting bumped?

Also, I am anxious to make a reservation because Orbitz said there were less than 8 seats left on these flights (I wouldn't book on Orbitz, just checking for flights). I am worried the flights might sell out before I get my companion fare code...any advise on that? Is that even accurate?

Thank you!!
(1) then you can cancel the first two passengers without penalty within 24 hours of booking

(2) Alaska is not as often overbooked as other carriers. It's not like delta or United. When you do your initial search look for four seats. If available, then book one right after another with a companion fare.

I think you will be ok and save some money, too!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:51 am
AAL

We've used 2 companion certificates for 4 travelers for years. You will have 2 different confirmation codes (one for each pair of travelers), but we've never had a problem getting bumped or separated. You can link your reservations so Alaska knows you are traveling with others; I do that, but I've never had a situation where it's been an issue.

One person on each reservation must be designated as the primary traveler. The primary person could fly alone, if the secondary person cancelled, but the secondary person cannot fly alone on that ticket. So take that into consideration in configuring your pairs, should someone's plans possibly change.

Also, if a traveler has MVP status, the other person on their reservation can get an elite seat assignment. So if two people have status, you probably want them in separate pairs.

Sure can make a family vacation more affordable!

My daughter recently got her own credit card, and the companion code was in her account before the card arrived in the mail -- less than 2 weeks after she applied.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Perfect! Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. This forum is amazing....so much to learn!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We do this every year. 2 credit cards, 2 companion tix on same flight, 2 reservation records. All 4 get miles. Never had a problem booking them separately. One child goes with each parent (in fact this is the only way you can book it if the parents hold the credit cards) - this is better in the unlikely event of irregular ops as it won't leave a child stranded without a parent.

I would not worry about the fare selling out. Orbitz is trying to sell tix, so they are not going to add comments like "Hurry - only 50 seats left on this flight"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.