Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
SJC-HNL

Date the flight was taken: 16 Jan
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 837 SJC-HNL
Time of Departure: 9:05 am
Length of flight: 5:45
Class of service: F
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Mimosas, juice, Dasani bottles at the seat
Meal served:

Fresh Seasonal Fruit (Grapefruit and Berries)
Warm Fresh Pastries (scone or cheese danish)
Choice of Entrees: Scrambled eggs w/shrimp & scallions, yukon gold smashed potatoes OR Cheese blintzes w/pineapple compote, scrambled eggs & chicken apple sausage

About T-2:30 from landing, warm nuts were served, along with Mai Tais

About T-1:00 from landing, a snack basket was passed through the cabin, including chips, pretzels, cookies - all packaged items.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
[QUOTE=AKCuisine;26020221]Date of flight: 1/13/16
Flight and Route: AS #80 ANC-SEA
Time of Departure: 10:00 AM (AST)
Length of flight: Approx 3 hrs 20 mins
Class of service: First

Pre-Departure Beverage: Dasani water bottles at the seat. No offer of other PDB.

Meal served: Lunch

The pacing of service on this flight was more than a bit off. We were nearly 45 minutes into the flight before the FA made her way through the F cabin to take the first beverage orders and describe lunch.

A few minutes later warm towels were passed, still later followed by a packet of snack mix - but no beverage to sip with it. It was almost an hour into the flight before any of the passengers received something to drink other than the bottle of water that was at the seat when we boarded.

Lunch finally arrived about 90 minutes into the flight. It was described as a chipotle chicken sandwich with slaw. When it did arrive it was pulled chicken in a mildly spicy red-tinted BBQ sauce on a ciabatta roll, with a side of slaw comprised of julienned broccoli stems and carrot with bits of purple cabbage. There was also a bag of Tim's Cascade chips. Wow ... slaw AND chips on the same tray. That must have been a catering error, since usually it's either one or the other - never both. A Cougar Mountain gourmet oatmeal raisin cookie was dessert. (Side note: Raisin cookies that masquerade as chocolate chip are one of the reasons I have trust issues.)

Lunch - Chipotle Chicken Sandwich, Slaw *and* Chips

I had this exact meal (including the cookie AND the chips) w/the exact service issues from PDX-ORD on 1/14. How can it take 70 minutes to get a F class passenger a beverage from wheels up? I do not get it but I thought the service, while kind, was remarkably slow...going home tomorrow and now have 0 expectations...which is kind of a bummer because if you pay for a F class seat, you'd expect F class service. Tomorrow I expect at best, slow service, and until the planes are retrofitted to provide 41" of legroom in first class, an economy plus seat. I will consider United on my next journey---which surprises me to say aloud but the legroom is the same and economy plus is cheaper than Alaska F
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
1/12 PHX-SEA 730p departure: Pasta, a "large" salad and cookie. I passed, but it looked good when my neighbor got his.

1/13 SEA-PHX 650p departure: Same thing as above, but served in courses. I had flown with this FA a couple times and she really hustles.

1/17 PHX-SEA 730p departure: Same as above, just had the cheese plate from the back.

1/17 SEA-PDX 1030p departure: snack mix before we got on the plane. Ended up sitting around waiting for pilots for 45 minutes. Not sure why they insist on boarding 45 minutes early when they know the pilots won't be landing for 30-40 minutes.

1/18 SEA-PHX 825p departure: really soggy cookies. Like really, really soggy.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
Lunch finally arrived about 90 minutes into the flight. It was described as a chipotle chicken sandwich with slaw. When it did arrive it was pulled chicken in a mildly spicy red-tinted BBQ sauce on a ciabatta roll, with a side of slaw comprised of julienned broccoli stems and carrot with bits of purple cabbage. There was also a bag of Tim's Cascade chips. Wow ... slaw AND chips on the same tray. That must have been a catering error, since usually it's either one or the other - never both.
I was aboard AS29 ORD-SEA last Saturday and we had the exact same meal. Slaw, Tim's chips, and Cougar Mountain cookie all sharing the same tray, so, not a catering error. Sole option in F. I liked the sandwich; the slaw was pretty damp and runny.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by BOB W
1/16/2016 AS 109 SEA-ANC 6:55 PM Departure

PDB-Water at the seat, drink and meal orders taken prior to takeoff (easy since we left 20 minutes late)

Hot towels soon after takeoff. Meal consisted of grilled chicken breast, potato wedges with gravy and sautéed red cabbage. Flavors were bland. Chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Not worth a photo although the salt and pepper packet was on the tray. Browne Cab was offered.

No mixed nuts or snack basket. Service was OK, but nothing special.

Similar meal, but a different experience ...

Date of flight: 1/14/16
Flight and Route: AS #147 SEA-ANC
Time of Departure: 5:30 PM (PST)
Length of flight: Approx 3 hrs 30 mins

Pre-Departure Beverage: Dasani water bottles at the seat. Once again, no offer of other PDB.

Meal served: "Snack"

The word "snack" is in quotes because one can never predict how much food will be served - it could be a half sandwich and some chips, or a light dinner like the one described by BOB W.

Damp towels were passed early in the flight, but no snacks. There never was any snack mix the entire flight. Beverages came out on a tray holding a salad of mesclun with balsamic vinaigrette and a whole-grain roll.

The main plate was described as "roast chicken" but it consisted of some bits of chicken in a bland cream sauce (creative use of leftovers?). That dab was accompanied by sweetened sauteed purple cabbage and some warm red potato wedges that lacked any salt or flavor. Fortunately, that was remedied with the pat of butter left from the roll - along with the packet of salt they've been placing on trays since the hubbub erupted about its absence.

Actually, the dish was relatively tasty, even if it didn't look very first class. But it sure as heck wasn't a "roast chicken breast" or "grilled chicken breast."

During the remainder of the flight there were no snacks, no nuts, no cookie or dessert ... not even a Seattle Chocolate on the tray.

Finally, Cougar Mountain gourmet oatmeal raisin cookies were handed out right before the 'ding' signaling our final descent. I think the FA completely forgot about the cookies or snack mix.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC, SPG, Global Entry
Date of flight: 1/20/16
Flight and Route: AS #364 SEA-OAK
Time of Departure: 10:10 AM (PST)
Length of flight: 1 hrs 40 mins

Pre-Departure Beverage: Dasani water bottles at the seat.

Meal offered: Cheese and fruit platter, the same one available for purchase in Y, except on a real plate.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium

1/12 SEA-ANC 8am
Brisket with eggs, potatoes, fruit and Danish. Odd combo and the brisket was really fatty. Not desirable so early in the day.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium

1/14 ANC-SEA 4pm
Chicken BBQ sandwich, Tim's chips and cole slaw. Passed for a Mediterranean snack pack.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by dayone
Heck, I'd settle for just taking the inflight drink orders prior to takeoff.
Me too!!! I cannot figure out why I cannot get a drink for 45-60 minutes after wheels up...and it is systemic. F class cabin is full for a long time while the plane fills up. What's wrong w/taking drink orders on the ground, and start serving drinks once plane climbs through 10,000 AGL-or even offer a "boarding" drink. On the other hand, Alaska only serves Dewar's scotch, so it's not that big a deal because I absolutely hate the stuff....Dinner from ORD-PDX on 1/19/16 was a separately plated salad, then chicken marsala, polenta, green beans, and warmed cookies for dessert. It was all okay but nothing special. Best part of the flight was the excellent service.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Date the flight was taken: 16 Jan
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 837 SJC-HNL
Time of Departure: 9:05 am
Length of flight: 5:45
Class of service: F
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Mimosas, juice, Dasani bottles at the seat
Meal served:

Fresh Seasonal Fruit (Grapefruit and Berries)
Warm Fresh Pastries (scone or cheese danish)
Choice of Entrees: Scrambled eggs w/shrimp & scallions, yukon gold smashed potatoes OR Cheese blintzes w/pineapple compote, scrambled eggs & chicken apple sausage

About T-2:30 from landing, warm nuts were served, along with Mai Tais

About T-1:00 from landing, a snack basket was passed through the cabin, including chips, pretzels, cookies - all packaged items.
Same meal on PDX-HNL, even though annoyingly, it took them almost 2 hours to get the main course out. I've been on AS flights before where they try to stretch the meal service over several hours -- I don't mind for midday flights, but with a 7am departure, I'd like my breakfast before 9am.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
Same meal on PDX-HNL, even though annoyingly, it took them almost 2 hours to get the main course out. I've been on AS flights before where they try to stretch the meal service over several hours -- I don't mind for midday flights, but with a 7am departure, I'd like my breakfast before 9am.
This particular Hawaii breakfast has been around forever....at least switch in one of the transcon menus for variety. Just because you're flying to Hawaii doesn't mean every entree has to have pineapple added to it....a denver omelette and hash browns work just fine.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:28 pm

Date of flight: 1/22/16
Flight and Route: AS #468 SEA-SAN
Time of Departure: 3:50 PM (PST)
Length of flight: 2 hrs 40 mins

Pre-Departure Beverage: Dasani water bottles delivered to the seat just before departure.

Meal offered: Tex-Mex Salad with Focaccia Bread. Due to the flight timing and meal times, about 2/3 of the cabin asked for the Fruit and Cheese platter, which was happily offered. The crew was amazing and were super attentive!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stngfn
Date of flight: 1/22/16
Flight and Route: AS #468 SEA-SAN
Time of Departure: 3:50 PM (PST)
Length of flight: 2 hrs 40 mins

Pre-Departure Beverage: Dasani water bottles delivered to the seat just before departure.

Meal offered: Tex-Mex Salad with Focaccia Bread. Due to the flight timing and meal times, about 2/3 of the cabin asked for the Fruit and Cheese platter, which was happily offered. The crew was amazing and were super attentive!
Enjoy that *free* fruit and cheese platter for another week and then it goes bye-bye. Anyone flying transcon F in February? Looking forward to the first report about the new small plate meal service.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: AS G75K
1/21/16 - AS505 SNA-SEA 7:40p

Water offered. Drinks and meal orders taken about 20 minutes after wheels up! Patty gave us fantastic service up front. The meal offered was pasta primavera...urf! They need to retire this awful meal. I had a salad and a fruit & cheese plate which was wonderful. Patty was happy to oblige and provided perfect service.

Not looking forward to having to pay to avoid this crappy meal in the future.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
SEA-LAX on AS418. Artisan granola or scrambled eggs w/ beef brisket.

LAX-SJD on AS262. Texmex salad. Had a turkey sandwich instead from the main cabin menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.