Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Not at all my experience between SEA-ORD and -DFW.
well, I'm certainly not discounting your own personal experiences but my experiences, and that of my co-workers, is that the snack baskets largely go to waste on the midcon flights. I was a huge proponent of the snack basket - I loved the idea and thought it was a great improvement so it's not as though I want them to go away necessarily. The waste is pretty sad though. I'm glad they'll remain on the transcon and Hawaii flights, they're appropriate there for sure.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:24 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Maybe PDB's will return to "all" flights with this meal enhancement?

And speaking of food, maybe they will cater a light snack service on the ANC-SEA redeye's? Currently, nothing offered and I've been denied Y snack last two flights...
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA G; DL G

BNA - SEA 1/17. Departs at 4:55 p.m. First Class. Dinner served. Chicken Marsala with Green Beans and Salad. 4:45 flight time. Warm nuts just after 10,000 ft. Warm cookies for dessert.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
my experiences, and that of my co-workers, is that the snack baskets largely go to waste on the midcon flights.
Aren't most of the snack basket offerings (except bananas) sealed items? If so, it seems like they could be recycled with very little effort, and reused rather than wasted.

My experience is that snack basket usage is directly proportional to the number of FA offerings. Frequency = consumption.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by DUT
ROTFLMAO

This would be a reverse squeak. Not going to happen.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Aren't most of the snack basket offerings (except bananas) sealed items? If so, it seems like they could be recycled with very little effort, and reused rather than wasted.

My experience is that snack basket usage is directly proportional to the number of FA offerings. Frequency = consumption.
Lol....I like that equation...frequency = consumption is definitely my motto when it comes to food consumption while traveling....not that that is necessarily a good thing (for me)...I am always amazed when I see people pass on in-flight first class meal service...I am one of those weird people that starts wondering what will be served from the moment I book the flight
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DUT

And speaking of food, maybe they will cater a light snack service on the ANC-SEA redeye's? Currently, nothing offered and I've been denied Y snack last two flights...
PDBs are basically something I could take or leave...but I've never understood the reluctance on the part of AS to offer this service...the beverages are already loaded, right? This would seem to mean the increase in cost would be minimal.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
PDBs...but I've never understood the reluctance on the part of AS to offer this service...the beverages are already loaded, right? This would seem to mean the increase in cost would be minimal.
According to AS, since the plane loads from the front, it is impossible to offer the PDB with all of the pax boarding to the back of the plane without serious disruption of the boarding process. I can see how this would be a problem that could cause delays.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BOB W
According to AS, since the plane loads from the front, it is impossible to offer the PDB with all of the pax boarding to the back of the plane without serious disruption of the boarding process. I can see how this would be a problem that could cause delays.
A large percentage of my million miles on UA were on narrow-bodied aircraft boarded at door 1L where I received my selection from anything in the cart. Yes, this was a long time ago, but the boarding process was the same. Almost every DL flight I've been on (albeit not that many) has boarded from 1L, and has had a full array of PDB. All of my VX flights have been on narrow-bodied aircraft boarded at door 1L and with limited exception, the entire cart is available for PDB, and sometimes, there's time (and an offer) for a second.

I do not recall for a moment in my 25+ years of most frequently flying in a premium cabin that I ever suffered a delay because of PDBs.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Still don't understand it as AS tends to board early (before the published boarding time) and other airlines offer PDB in their FC cabin. That extra time should be enough to take drink orders and serve.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:19 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Still don't understand it as [...] [t]hat extra time should be enough to take drink orders and serve.
Heck, I'd settle for just taking the inflight drink orders prior to takeoff.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A large percentage of my million miles on UA were on narrow-bodied aircraft boarded at door 1L where I received my selection from anything in the cart. Yes, this was a long time ago, but the boarding process was the same. Almost every DL flight I've been on (albeit not that many) has boarded from 1L, and has had a full array of PDB. All of my VX flights have been on narrow-bodied aircraft boarded at door 1L and with limited exception, the entire cart is available for PDB, and sometimes, there's time (and an offer) for a second.

I do not recall for a moment in my 25+ years of most frequently flying in a premium cabin that I ever suffered a delay because of PDBs.
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Still don't understand it as AS tends to board early (before the published boarding time) and other airlines offer PDB in their FC cabin. That extra time should be enough to take drink orders and serve.
Heck, I'd settle for just taking the inflight drink orders prior to takeoff.
What part of "The SQUEAK" are you guys not getting?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
What part of "The SQUEAK" are you guys not getting?
I've stopped being loyal to any particular airline and will buy F on occasion or whatever premium economy product (AA and DL) an airline may have. Being an east coast flyer, my AS flights are very limited.

I was surprised by the F experience I had this past Friday and feel that it was closer to a pmUS flight than a transcon in a highly competitive market. Somehow DL and AA manage to fly you on a narrow body and serve pre departure beverages. The FAs also will get out of their seats at 10,000 feet to then begin beverage service, especially when it's inside a normal meal window (the flight leaves at 6:40, so they try to feed pax sooner than later vs on my flight when the meals didn't start rolling out until closer to 9 pm EST).

I was surprised by both the meal choices and the lackluster appearance. I did not order the meal because I ate before getting on the plane. I'm glad I made that choice because, while the portions appeared to be large, the food itself looked very unappetizing. Plus they loaded only 8 & 8 of the meals with the cod being forced upon the last 6 passengers being given choice.

As far as the snack basket. It wasn't offered in a timely fashion. It was only brought out after lights were dimmed from dinner and people were in sleep mode. It's possible that I'd have noshed on it had it been offered closer to 8 pm vs 11 pm, or had been available for a la carte consumption near the lav.

I think AS's F hard product is OK, but it isn't particularly competitive when compared to DL. The digiplayer was nice, but I think DL offers better IFE with live TV. the seats may be better on DL as well, but it's a close call and is dependent on what type of plane you get.

I am interested to learn more about the enhanced meals and hope AS is able to compete effectively with an improved product. Even AA has discovered they can cut the experience only so far and attract passengers willing to pay for F.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: AS
Next 4 trips will be in F.
One before 2/1 and then the rest Feb and March.
It will be interesting to see what has changed. Last F was December. ( no sparkling wine available).
Will report and post pics.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
As746 sea-atl 1/18

Same menu as atl-sea. Salad, chicken masala with asiago polenta and green beans, or cod with lentils and acorn squash. Key lime cheesecake for dessert.

Edited to add:
I had the cod. It was "ok" but nothing special. The lentils were a bit flavorless and the squash didn't add much. The salad on the other hand was outstanding for a domestic F salad.

There was a fair amount of light turbulence today and service didn't start until 45 min into the flight. Food was delivered around 2 hours in (noon pacific time). Desserts were complete by 3 hours in. Nuts were brought around 30 minutes later. No snack basket. We landed with a little more than 4 hours total flight time.

My wife had the salad and cheese plate. I was impressed with the cheese --overall pretty tasty in comparison to my cod piece.

Last edited by emma dog; Jan 18, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.