Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Lemonade is awesome! I particularly love their Basque Chicken. It's really good. If you like a good burger, The Habit in terminal 6 is really good. Made to order and pretty delicious. I also like the taco place next to it. In any case, you can't go wrong with one of the three options above, IMHO.
FWIW, The Habit was actually voted "America's Best Burger" by Consumer Reports a couple of years ago. http://www.businessinsider.com/ameri...-burger-2014-7

I do like the Habit (still think In-n-Out is better). It's grilled for that smoky flavor, and I make it "healthier" by subbing in a wheat bun and adding a side Caesar salad instead of fries (and it's a decent amount for not much more). They also used to have alfalfa sprouts as a topping, but that went away during the E. coli scare, and I haven't asked about it since.

The taco place next to it is Wahoo's Fish Tacos.

Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
A wheat burger and a salad instead of fries??? This sounds like a public school cafeteria lunch....no thanks
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
A wheat burger and a salad instead of fries??? This sounds like a public school cafeteria lunch....no thanks
You did see the "sub" and "add" right? If you want a regular white sesame bun and fries, that's the default setting.

(And I don't know what public school serves wheat and salad with their burger... mine sure didn't )
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
You did see the "sub" and "add" right? If you want a regular white sesame bun and fries, that's the default setting.

(And I don't know what public school serves wheat and salad with their burger... mine sure didn't )
Times have changed...almost every bread item, including the cinnamon rolls are cooked with wheat flour...and French fries can only be served on a limited basis. You should see what's in the vending machines...not that it's a bad thing, just different, probably due to stricter federal nutritional guidelines.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
cinnamon rolls are cooked with wheat flour
I always did dislike those cinnamon rolls made with non-wheat flour.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan

I do like the Habit (still think In-n-Out is better). It's grilled for that smoky flavor, and I make it "healthier" by subbing in a wheat bun and adding a side Caesar salad instead of fries (and it's a decent amount for not much more). They also used to have alfalfa sprouts as a topping, but that went away during the E. coli scare, and I haven't asked about it since.
I personally think the Habit isn't all that good but then again to each their own, but better then anything the domestic airlines are serving these days
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
6/9 AS740 LAX-BWI no idea what was served, I slept through it all. I tried to stay awake for the first drink service but after 30-45 minutes from wheels up with no appearance from the FA, gave up and turned in until we were awoken for landing. The FAs on this flight were not the most friendly, but I guess it's a crappy schedule to have to work.

On the positive there were blankets and I still tote around my inflatable pillow from the previous iteration of take home P&B, so it was about as good as you can get for comfort in a poorly reclining 738 seat.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jun 10, 2016 at 6:15 am
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
6/9 AS740 LAX-BWI no idea what was served, I slept through it all. I tried to stay awake for the first drink service but after 30-45 minutes from wheels up with no appearance from the FA, gave up and turned in until we were awoken for landing. The FAs on this flight were not the most friendly, but I guess it's a crappy schedule to have to work.

On the positive there were blankets and I still tote around my inflatable pillow from the previous iteration of take home P&B, so it was about as good as you can get for comfort in a poorly reclining 738 seat.
You need to write this up please. Not acceptable. Regardless of whether it was a red-eye flight or not.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
You need to write this up please. Not acceptable. Regardless of whether it was a red-eye flight or not.
I was thinking the same thing. With red-eye flights, I wonder is some FAs (not you of course) wait a little longer to start service hoping more people will fall asleep, but I would think service *should* start as soon as possible so that those that want a drink and/or snack could finish and get to sleep faster.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:04 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I wish AS portion sizes were more predictable. Just had "ravioli" on PDX-ORD, and although it was tasty, the portion was tiny: five small ravioli with tomato sauce, bread stick, small side salad, brownie. This is listed as "lunch," but I've had much more substantial "snacks." Really poor for a 3.5 hour lunchtime flight.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jpdx
I wish AS portion sizes were more predictable. Just had "ravioli" on PDX-ORD, and although it was tasty, the portion was tiny: five small ravioli with tomato sauce, bread stick, small side salad, brownie. This is listed as "lunch," but I've had much more substantial "snacks." Really poor for a 3.5 hour lunchtime flight.
My 7:50PM flight from LAX-SEA this evening had a similar meal.. four strips of chicken thigh, three large cheese raviolis, one breadstick, one small side salad, and the pre-packaged brownie. Pretty tasty meal.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
My 7:50PM flight from LAX-SEA this evening had a similar meal.. four strips of chicken thigh, three large cheese raviolis, one breadstick, one small side salad, and the pre-packaged brownie. Pretty tasty meal.
I've seen a picture of that, but it's not what I had. Mine came without chicken, and there were five dollar coin sized ravioli, so much less food. I need to start taking pictures of this stuff...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Since you'd asked about what would be served on your evening "snack" flight and I had a similar one, on a similar length route, I was curious if we would get the same meal. Sounds like we did...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26746226-post748.html
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by northwesterner
Since you'd asked about what would be served on your evening "snack" flight and I had a similar one, on a similar length route, I was curious if we would get the same meal. Sounds like we did...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26746226-post748.html
Definitely looks the same! Your chicken pieces look bigger though
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
On AS 18 this morning ("snack" redeye SEA-JFK) they served a pita/hummus plate with a grilled chicken skewer. Huge step up from the Cobb salad I've had on that route in the past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.