Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013
MM's receive a complimentary meal or picnic pack when flying in the main cabin. With regard to the rollout of the 2/1 policy change - will that benefit apply to MM's sitting up front, i.e., will we be able to receive a fruit and cheeseplate from Y for free when sitting up front?
Most likely, no.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

Snack basket was offered to MSY last Sunday. The snack basket was spotted on the return (with bananas!) but never offered. I was sad.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lalala
Snack basket was offered to MSY last Sunday. The snack basket was spotted on the return (with bananas!) but never offered. I was sad.
SEA-MSY is catered as a mid-con so it should always have the snack basket. Let them know on Alaska Listens if the snack basket was loaded but never offered because that's just laziness...I was on a UA flight years ago where the snack basket ended up being for the FAs rather than the passengers for which it was intended
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
The snack basket is currently offered on midcon, transcon and Hawaii flights. SEA-ANC is not considered a midcon. Beginning 2/1, the snack basket will not be available on the midcons, only transcon and Hawaii flights.
Thanks for the clarification...are warm nuts still going to be catered on mid cons?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by pcoll
Really disappointed to find Fruit and Cheese no longer gratis in F. This kinda sucks

It was comforting to know I always had this as a good option if meal was no up Alaska F standards. Case in point, pasta primavera last week. Glad I had the Alaska Classic Choice instead the hot meal.
The lady in front of me asked for the fruit & cheese from the back and it was brought without question last night on AS 109. SEA-ANC. I was in 3D.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
The snack basket is currently offered on midcon, transcon and Hawaii flights. SEA-ANC is not considered a midcon. Beginning 2/1, the snack basket will not be available on the midcons, only transcon and Hawaii flights.
Is that a very large SQUEAK I hear from AS. While all of the other majors continue to expand the F offerings, AS taketh away. SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK....how cheap can they be when raking in record profits?

Next they will switch to McCormick's for the F cabin alcohol.....
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS
I think there needs to be some "push back" from MVP Alaska flyers regarding the new Policy on F passengers requesting food from Y.

I will let " Alaska Listens " know that this is a change we are not happy about.

Paying for F should allow passengers to get something that works for them.
It seems the quality of F is being downgraded , again. How much more will they try to remove from F service?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
Is that a very large SQUEAK I hear from AS. While all of the other majors continue to expand the F offerings, AS taketh away. SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK....how cheap can they be when raking in record profits?

Next they will switch to McCormick's for the F cabin alcohol.....

That's not a "squeak" at all - the First Class meal is upgraded substantially on the transcon flights and I suspect the costs were increased substantially as well. The removal of the snack basket from the midcon flights isn't going to be missed by anybody but a few people here for the most part. In my experiences those baskets were largely untouched on the midcon (STL, MCI, MSP, ORD, IAH, DFW, AUS, SAT) flights. I can not underscore the waste involved with the snack baskets on the flights to those places that I've been on. They will remain on the longer flights. Over the last year, meals have been upgraded to most midcon and west coast destinations. Which airlines are upgrading meals on First Class domestic flights now?

Last edited by AS Flyer; Jan 17, 2016 at 7:54 pm
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Thanks for the clarification...are warm nuts still going to be catered on mid cons?
yes
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
SEA-MSY is catered as a mid-con so it should always have the snack basket. Let them know on Alaska Listens if the snack basket was loaded but never offered because that's just laziness...I was on a UA flight years ago where the snack basket ended up being for the FAs rather than the passengers for which it was intended
SEA-MSY is catered as a transcon
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013
MM's receive a complimentary meal or picnic pack when flying in the main cabin. With regard to the rollout of the 2/1 policy change - will that benefit apply to MM's sitting up front, i.e., will we be able to receive a fruit and cheeseplate from Y for free when sitting up front?
I'm assuming that the answer is no as a meal would be provided, though I haven't seen the question asked and answered. When in main cabin a meal isn't provided so you're able to have a comp food item.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Rumored 2/1/16 Elimination of Midcon Snack Basket

My objection sent via website feedback.

I noted that AS competes with AA on SEA-DFW and SEA-ORD. AA offers an appetizer and cake with Lunch and ice cream with Dinner in F on these routes and AS is even less competitive in F without the snack basket.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 17, 2016 at 9:04 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The removal of the snack basket from the midcon flights isn't going to be missed by anybody but a few people here for the most part. In my experiences those baskets were largely untouched on the midcon (STL, MCI, MSP, ORD, IAH, DFW, AUS, SAT) flights.
Not at all my experience between SEA-ORD and -DFW.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SEA-MSY is catered as a transcon
Ooops! I meant to say trans con which matches the rest of my comments...thanks for correcting my typo
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think maybe a compromise might be in order here...mid cons typically have one choice and trans cons are moving to five choices...since it's only the trans cons that are changing (for the better in terms of more choices) it would make sense to eliminate free Y food items on those flights, but keeping the status quo on the other non-trans con flights...just a thought

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.