Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:55 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS
Posts: 2,290
Really disappointed to find Fruit and Cheese no longer gratis in F. This kinda sucks

It was comforting to know I always had this as a good option if meal was no up Alaska F standards. Case in point, pasta primavera last week. Glad I had the Alaska Classic Choice instead the hot meal.
pcoll is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:53 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Posts: 7,414
What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

My fruit plate was gratis on Sunday, however I did request a plate and silverware and they grudgingly supplied.
lalala is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:56 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Posts: 7,414
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Quote:





Originally Posted by PV_Premier


Looking forward to the upgrade, but transcons usually are not the issue. For me, it's the Cobb salad snack that sends me begging for a cheese tray.




The new First Class service, as presented to us, looks really nice. It's a "small plate" service. The menus will have five items on them, you'll be able to choose three. You should get your choice most, if not all of the time. I'm told that the servings are generous. Each tray will come standard with a roll/pastry and a "first bite" (salad/fruit?) already and the dessert will be the same for everybody.
I hope this makes it easier for non-meat eaters to enjoy what food were given.
lalala is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:53 pm
  #49  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 10,669
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Sounds interesting.. have flts between SEA-SAT in mid-February. Hoping I get to try this new food out.
I think AS Flyer said this was being rolled out to transcons next month, not mid cons like SEA-SAT.

I am excited to see how this looks on breakfast transcons...I want my three choices to be quiche, French toast, and hash browns
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:54 pm
  #50  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 10,669
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
The new First Class service, as presented to us, looks really nice. It's a "small plate" service. The menus will have five items on them, you'll be able to choose three. You should get your choice most, if not all of the time. I'm told that the servings are generous. Each tray will come standard with a roll/pastry and a "first bite" (salad/fruit?) already and the dessert will be the same for everybody. I don't know if the service will be rolled out to the shorter flights or not - or if some version of it will. While also being a nice service, it should be executed more quickly - allowing more time to watch movies or work or rest instead of sitting with dirty dishes while waiting for everyone else to be served. I think it will be a more "First Class" experience in terms of food service... keeping in mind that it's a domestic 737, not an Emirates A380. Concurrent with the roll out of the new service (eff. 2/1) will be the change to policy as far as First Class being able to request food from Coach on any flight. It will no longer be complimentary, though you may order and pay for an item from Coach if you wish.
Will the kids snack packs still be a free option for children traveling in F?
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:51 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by lalala
I hope this makes it easier for non-meat eaters to enjoy what food were given.
agree. Alaska isn't that great for vegetarians. Any improvement on this front would be welcome.
josh_sea is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:02 pm
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Posts: 20,269
Lordy, the interface for uploading from an iPhone suck-diddly-ucks. One picture at a time, apparently
Attached Images  
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:04 pm
  #53  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Posts: 20,269
The mains.
Attached Images  
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:05 pm
  #54  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Posts: 20,269
Salad. Also, the Browne Cab was on the flight. Quite tasty. The meal was fine if nothing amazing.
Attached Images  

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 17, 2016 at 4:08 pm
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:15 pm
  #55  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Posts: 8,202
1/16/2016 AS 109 SEA-ANC 6:55 PM Departure

PDB-Water at the seat, drink and meal orders taken prior to takeoff (easy since we left 20 minutes late)

Hot towels soon after takeoff. Meal consisted of grilled chicken breast, potato wedges with gravy and sauted red cabbage. Flavors were bland. Chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Not worth a photo although the salt and pepper packet was on the tray. Browne Cab was offered.

No mixed nuts or snack basket. Service was OK, but nothing special.
BOB W is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:44 pm
  #56  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 10,669
Originally Posted by BOB W
1/16/2016 AS 109 SEA-ANC 6:55 PM Departure

PDB-Water at the seat, drink and meal orders taken prior to takeoff (easy since we left 20 minutes late)

Hot towels soon after takeoff. Meal consisted of grilled chicken breast, potato wedges with gravy and sauted red cabbage. Flavors were bland. Chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Not worth a photo although the salt and pepper packet was on the tray. Browne Cab was offered.

No mixed nuts or snack basket. Service was OK, but nothing special.
AS Flyer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the snack basket was originally suppose to be served on mid cons (like SEA-ANC and SEA-ORD) but it seems to be showing up only on trans con and Hawaii flights now...is that a recent change?
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:20 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,938
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Will the kids snack packs still be a free option for children traveling in F?
nope
AS Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:21 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,938
Originally Posted by josh_sea
agree. Alaska isn't that great for vegetarians. Any improvement on this front would be welcome.
Though I haven't seen the February menu selections, I think vegetarians will be pleased as there should be more to choose from.
AS Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:24 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,938
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
AS Flyer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the snack basket was originally suppose to be served on mid cons (like SEA-ANC and SEA-ORD) but it seems to be showing up only on trans con and Hawaii flights now...is that a recent change?
The snack basket is currently offered on midcon, transcon and Hawaii flights. SEA-ANC is not considered a midcon. Beginning 2/1, the snack basket will not be available on the midcons, only transcon and Hawaii flights.
AS Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:47 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: JNU
Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Posts: 2,891
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Concurrent with the roll out of the new service (eff. 2/1) will be the change to policy as far as First Class being able to request food from Coach on any flight. It will no longer be complimentary, though you may order and pay for an item from Coach if you wish.
MM's receive a complimentary meal or picnic pack when flying in the main cabin. With regard to the rollout of the 2/1 policy change - will that benefit apply to MM's sitting up front, i.e., will we be able to receive a fruit and cheeseplate from Y for free when sitting up front?

UPDATE: I have asked AS the question and will share the reply upon receipt.

Last edited by dave1013; Jan 18, 2016 at 12:03 pm Reason: Update
dave1013 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.