Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Also connecting to PDXSAN which is listed as snack 700PM ish departure. Any recent experiences or similar markets to indicate what a snack consists of?
Here is the answer to your question:

Originally Posted by 3ur0tr45h
1/13/16 SNA-SEA AS505 740p
Pasta Primavera. The pasta was cooked nearly perfectly but it was overall a pretty rough offering. Didn't taste good and everyone in F was unimpressed and kinda grouchy. The salad was also lackluster. Oatmeal raisin cookie for dessert basically tells the whole story...meh and nobody likes it.
Snack will be a small plated pasta, salad, or sandwich...only a single choice will be available. Hopefully a better experience for you than what is listed above.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Bretmd
They were "officially" serving the Browne wines in November and December. The Browne cab is much better than their typical Alaska fc wine; worth about $25 a bottle. I was pleasantly surprised a few days ago when they were still serving it on my flight instead of the chateau ste Michelle.

Thanks for that update on the wine - that was the first time I knowingly had encountered it. The FA brought out the bottle, showed it to several of us, and asked what we thought of it.

The majority of my other flights in December and earlier in January were limited service milk-runs down through Alaska. Or a crazy lightning-strike delay with a combi- cargo aircraft substituted for our passenger jet -- ie: no first class.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
The Chateau Ste Michelle red blend that they were serving is quite nice and still available at the Anchorage Costco's for about $13.00
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Here is the answer to your question:

Snack will be a small plated pasta, salad, or sandwich...only a single choice will be available. Hopefully a better experience for you than what is listed above.
Ask for coach food if you don't like sound of the FC offering.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
1/15/16 as745 Atl-sea

No menus loaded on plane. Told it's Alaskan cod vs chicken Marsala.

Cheers to One Flew South! Manhattan with a dragon roll and duck confit. Yum!!!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by emma dog
No menus loaded on plane. Told it's Alaskan cod vs chicken Marsala.

Cheers to One Flew South! Manhattan with a dragon roll and duck confit. Yum!!!
Dessert was described as key lime pie. More like slightly tart vanilla pudding with two raspberries on top. It was tasty, but not anything to write home about.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Ask for coach food if you don't like sound of the FC offering.
Just FYI - this will no longer be an option eff 2/1. At the same time, you can also expect a very nice upgrade to the first class menus on transcons starting in February as well that should negate the need to order from the Y menu.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Just FYI - this will no longer be an option eff 2/1. At the same time, you can also expect a very nice upgrade to the first class menus on transcons starting in February as well that should negate the need to order from the Y menu.
Looking forward to the upgrade, but transcons usually are not the issue. For me, it's the Cobb salad snack that sends me begging for a cheese tray.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Pictures of meal to be added later... The dreaded (by others) polenta strikes again (more for me)...
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The transcon meal service is typically the "best" AS meal service in terms of both quality and quantity...and one of the only times when you actually have a choice. I do actually like the Cobb salad snack although a few slices of avocado would be nice

Since AS transcons already have salad, entree, dessert, warm nuts, and a snack basket....the only "holes" I see when compared to some of the UA/DL/AA transcon flights would be some type of appetizer, ice cream sundae for dessert, and maybe a plated fruit and cheese plate (which would eliminate the need for asking for one from Y). If they add an appetizer, I hope to see some variety since "appetizer" on many airlines is usually code for raw seafood of some kind whereas "appetizer" on many restaurant menus includes a variety of options such as spinach/artichoke dip, chips & salsa, etc.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jan 16, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
deleted
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Looking forward to the upgrade, but transcons usually are not the issue. For me, it's the Cobb salad snack that sends me begging for a cheese tray.
The new First Class service, as presented to us, looks really nice. It's a "small plate" service. The menus will have five items on them, you'll be able to choose three. You should get your choice most, if not all of the time. I'm told that the servings are generous. Each tray will come standard with a roll/pastry and a "first bite" (salad/fruit?) already and the dessert will be the same for everybody. I don't know if the service will be rolled out to the shorter flights or not - or if some version of it will. While also being a nice service, it should be executed more quickly - allowing more time to watch movies or work or rest instead of sitting with dirty dishes while waiting for everyone else to be served. I think it will be a more "First Class" experience in terms of food service... keeping in mind that it's a domestic 737, not an Emirates A380. Concurrent with the roll out of the new service (eff. 2/1) will be the change to policy as far as First Class being able to request food from Coach on any flight. It will no longer be complimentary, though you may order and pay for an item from Coach if you wish.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The transcon meal service is typically the "best" AS meal service in terms of both quality and quantity...and one of the only times when you actually have a choice. I do actually like the Cobb salad snack although a few slices of avocado would be nice

Since AS transcons already have salad, entree, dessert, warm nuts, and a snack basket....the only "holes" I see when compared to some of the UA/DL/AA transcon flights would be some type of appetizer, ice cream sundae for dessert, and maybe a plated fruit and cheese plate (which would eliminate the need for asking for one from Y). If they add an appetizer, I hope to see some variety since "appetizer" on many airlines is usually code for raw seafood of some kind whereas "appetizer" on many restaurant menus includes a variety of options such as spinach/artichoke dip, chips & salsa, etc.
I think the beauty of the new service is that you can choose what you want. Don't like polenta? Don't order the dish with Polenta on it. Don't like kale? Don't order the dish with kale in it. There are options - more of them - for you to create your own experience. Limited, of course, by whatever is on the menu for that particular day, but you'll have more options than you presently do.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I think the beauty of the new service is that you can choose what you want. Don't like polenta? Don't order the dish with Polenta on it. Don't like kale? Don't order the dish with kale in it. There are options - more of them - for you to create your own experience. Limited, of course, by whatever is on the menu for that particular day, but you'll have more options than you presently do.
Sounds interesting.. have flts between SEA-SAT in mid-February. Hoping I get to try this new food out.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Sounds interesting.. have flts between SEA-SAT in mid-February. Hoping I get to try this new food out.
Interesting indeed. Iirc B6 does this type of service with Mint, and it's widely regarded as a positive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.