Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by sullim4
I was upgraded to first on tonight's BWI-SEA flight. Am curious to see how things go...
If same as January, It will be....

Black Tuscan Kale and Baby Mesculun. (Cauliflower, pumpkin seeds, pecorino cheese)

Entree was Herb roasted chicken w/ pesto olive oil; acorn squash w/ garam masala and lemon risotto or

Alaskan cod w/ white mustard sauce. Herbed red potatoes and mushrooms.

Creme Brulee for dessert.

Jiburi
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
If same as January, It will be....

Black Tuscan Kale and Baby Mesculun. (Cauliflower, pumpkin seeds, pecorino cheese)

Entree was Herb roasted chicken w/ pesto olive oil; acorn squash w/ garam masala and lemon risotto or

Alaskan cod w/ white mustard sauce. Herbed red potatoes and mushrooms.

Creme Brulee for dessert.

Jiburi
They've changed transcon catering this month to a small plate service as ASFlyer has posted above. So it'll definitely be different.

Not sure what they are doing on the shorter routes, but hopefully some improvements!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
not I but here are a couple of the menus being offered -
Each breakfast includes the fruit and pastry plus a choice of three of the options listed. Lunch/Dinner starts with a first bite, includes a roll and then a choice of three of the options listed. Menu choices could change, flight depending.
For lunch/dinner, do the three items you get to choose include dessert? Basically what I'm asking is if you could have the salad, two of the "small plate" entrees and also dessert.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
For lunch/dinner, do the three items you get to choose include dessert? Basically what I'm asking is if you could have the salad, two of the "small plate" entrees and also dessert.
Look closely, dessert is a separate, sixth item.

I'm inclined to say that everybody gets dessert.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
AS Flyer,

Has Alaska considered how requests for 3 of the same plate, either by choice or dietary restriction, will be handled so that the entire cabin gets a decent selection? Or if pax select three of the more main entree-ish items?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by United757
They've changed transcon catering this month to a small plate service as ASFlyer has posted above. So it'll definitely be different.

Not sure what they are doing on the shorter routes, but hopefully some improvements!
If you read AS Flyer's earlier posts about the new transcon meal service, it seems nothing is changing on the shorter routes (including mid-cons) other than the fact that you must now pay if you want a food item from Y.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If you read AS Flyer's earlier posts about the new transcon meal service, it seems nothing is changing on the shorter routes (including mid-cons) other than the fact that you must now pay if you want a food item from Y.
Well, that's no fun.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
On board and the menu is at the seat. Everybody gets the skewer, and you get a choice of three of the other items. Everyone gets dessert.

How do I post pics from my iPhone into a post?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On board and the menu is at the seat. Everybody gets the skewer, and you get a choice of three of the other items. Everyone gets dessert.

Congrats on being the first FTer to post about the new meal service! Hopefully you can figure out a way to post some pics.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:26 pm

I hope so too! I'm anxious to see how the selection varies. The choices at least SOUND pretty good.

And they even have skillet bacon jam. I'm one of those plant eaters, but many of you may find that stuff quite yummy. I've heard lots of praise for it.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by PDXPremier

Congrats on being the first FTer to post about the new meal service! Hopefully you can figure out a way to post some pics.
I'm anxiously awaiting the first descriptions and photos of the new meal service. And thank you for posting sample menus, AS Flyer.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If we could post pics directly from an iPhone, I'd post way more food pics here.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
OK, here's the mini report from tonight's BWI-SEA (flight 767).

I've attached the new menu card, my entree choices (the cod, chicken marsala, and the fruit/cheese plate), as well as the dessert. I'm sorry that the rotation on the photos is off... they show up fine on my machine locally. A few notes:

- My apologies for not getting a picture of the skewer. It's presented in a very small square plate, and it's a small toothpick-sized skewer containing a grape tomato, a spinach leaf, and a small ball of mozzarella. There is a balsamic topping. I wasn't a fan, although I don't like balsamic.

- Fruit/cheese looks pretty close to identical to what's served back in Y, although it's usually my wife that orders it, so I can't say for sure.

- I really liked the chicken. It had a grilled flavor to it that seemed unusual for airline chicken. The sauce was good, the potatoes were significantly better than polenta.

- The cod was ok - not much taste to it, kind of bland. The purple potatoes though were really good.

- The desserts were both good. The duo was a coffee cheesecake and plain cheesecake.

- This is A LOT of food. Significantly more than the old program. You aren't getting ripped off with this new program.

I wholeheartedly approve and hope AS continues ahead with this.
Attached Images    
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks...really looking forward to my Boston trip next month Now who flew a breakfast transcon today??
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:39 pm

Thanks!

Looks good. I'm really looking forward to my next flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.