Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever gotten an upgrade on award flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM

Has anyone ever gotten a an upgrade on an award flight? Opup or otherwise?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Me personally a complimentary upgrade, no. And there were empty seats up front.

Have I heard of it for others, yes. But its few and far between.

It would be nice if AS were to allow upgrades on awards, even if just at the gate.

Last edited by beckoa; Dec 21, 2015 at 8:51 pm Reason: clarified
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Would be nice if AS allowed upgrades on award tickets
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:01 pm

Hi -

I once was able to purchase a paid upgrade. But only after everyone else had boarded the plane.

Also, once I was only able to confirm W space on one leg, even though I had redeemed for A. When I got to the gate, they issued me a boarding pass in F.

But never anything in advance.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I've gotten lucky a few times in the past but always at the gate or ticket counter. Never hurts to ask at the counter if F has checked in full when the upgrade list is extremely short or has no names on it.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Twice but only at the gate. It has been several years since it last occurred.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
During the last three years of my first career (2006-2009), I was commuting between JNU and SEA. The JNU-SEA segment would normally occur on the late Sunday night flight, which typically had low loads. This was back in the days when the Miles and Money award ticket had real meaning, and were my first choice to buy for these trips.

When checking in, I would ask the agent if there were any upgrades available. When there were, I would usually be upgraded. Most of the time it worked, sometimes not. I would say my success rate was ~75%.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS-MM 75K, Marriott Plat Lifetime, SPG Plat Lifetime, HH Gold
Same experience as Meej.

Got upgraded twice on award tickets. Mrs Magiclamp talked to the gate agent and asked if there were any F seats available and they upgraded us.

Since then we always ask the gate agents, very rare though to get the upgrade
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I've done the paid upgrade at check in on awards before. Definitely luck of the draw, and not sure if they are still allowing it.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, DL, Marriott, Hilton Honors Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Once, and at the gate like the previous posters.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by hiima
Has anyone ever...
On FT, the answer is almost always yes.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k, Skyteam Elite Plus
I once had an Avios booking which turned into an unfavorable schedule change. No favorable flights had award availability, and I was rebooked into an upgradable fare, which later cleared. But, this was once, and never happened again.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Chugach
I've done the paid upgrade at check in on awards before. Definitely luck of the draw, and not sure if they are still allowing it.
Paid upgrades are allowed...its complimentary for elites were interested in.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I saw it happen on a flight from SEA to LAS a couple years ago. F had 2 empty seats, I was sitting in F and overheard FAs discussing whether or not they could bring a "gold couple" up front who were traveling on award tickets. Ultimately they decided they could, although they definitely recognized the possibility of being reprimanded.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Myself personally, never. However, twice I have used my miles to give coach seats to family and friends where they have been upgraded. Once was with family from Cabo to SFO (IIRC), the other time was friends of ours from SEA to LIH, and we weren't even on the flight with them. Go figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.