Search

Checked Bag Approx 4" Oversize?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:51 am
DUT
Original Poster

Programs: MVPG
Checked Bag Approx 4" Oversize?

I will have one checked suitcase measuring total approx. 66", the Alaska limit is 62". Any experience with agents pulling out a tape measure to verify at check-in? The suit case looks a little big, but not enormous. Weight is approx. 32 lbs, so not a weight issue. Pretty much like a regular black roller suitcase. I'm MVPG, so two pcs free so long as not oversize (which this technically is). Flying ANC-KOA and return next week.

BTW - it is a suitcase which contains a Ritchey Breakaway road bike. You cannot tell a bike is inside this suitcase unless its opened.

I couldn't find any recent threads on this topic. Wondering if anybody has experience with by the book agents measuring bags...?

Thanks,
DUT
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I regularly check a bag that's a couple of pounds overweight and a slightly too large - probably 64". They've never mentioned the size of the bag (it looks like a 'regular' suitcase and they've never measured it. I usually ask if they need me to "balance' the weight by moving something into my smaller bag and they always say no. I'm usually in F but it's often on an award ticket in F so one might think they'd be a bit tougher. Anyway, no question and no charge ever. Good luck!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've had issues checking stuff with weight. Never have measured my yellow duffel for size. Its probably close to max of 62" when full.

I brought a bike back from PUW once- was oversized so I shoved other stuff in the box pushing it over 50 lbs. But once a fee is triggered for oversized, its not triggered for a second due to weight (50-75 lb)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...equipment.aspx

Unfortunately bikes are not exempt. If you print your tag at home it might have a better shot- but not certain.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Never have seen them measure dimensions, but YMMV.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:39 pm

depnds who checks you in
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:30 pm
DUT
Original Poster

Thanks all...that's more or less what I expected (short of a grossly oversize bag)...

I'll report back next week when flights have been completed...
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by patpatpatme
depnds who checks you in
This.

My last few flights I have had to travel with two bags. (First class flights) Always made sure bags were at 50 lbs or less. One time checked in and one bag was 52 lbs, agent said no problem, both bags are less than 100 lbs you are OK.

My last flight, however, had the same issue but the agent this time said no we don't combine bag weights, so one of your bags is overweight. I had to pull a couple things out to make weight on the one bag.

I just think it depends on who checks you in and you need to be prepared to pay for it if the wrong agent checks you.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:50 am
DUT
Original Poster

Update...

No charge checking in this morning in Anchorage!

To clarify, my concern was over dimensions, not weight. Agents have the scale for weight, but dimensions (i.e. when to measure bags) is more subjective...

Thanks for all the feedback!

DUT
spamman808 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by DUT
No charge checking in this morning in Anchorage!

To clarify, my concern was over dimensions, not weight. Agents have the scale for weight, but dimensions (i.e. when to measure bags) is more subjective...

Thanks for all the feedback!

DUT
Now for KOA... I suspect you might be ok, but if there's an issue it would arise there as its a contract station. Enjoy the N/S

And I'd think weight is the primary thing agents are looking at- or if its obviously oversized (55" TV comes to mind )
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:30 pm
DUT
Original Poster

10-4. I'll report back on the Hawaiian check-in experience...

And I'm not on the nonstop, it was sold out, going thru rainy Seattle today :-((
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:53 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by DUT
10-4. I'll report back on the Hawaiian check-in experience...

And I'm not on the nonstop, it was sold out, going thru rainy Seattle today :-((
Well you're missing the snow
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:42 am
DUT
Original Poster

They did not charge me out of Kona!
spamman808 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM
Flying SJC-SEA on Sunday, at check in the agent noted that my golf bag may be oversized. I said I'd checked it for years with no comment. She said rule was 82 inches (I think) over all three dimensions, which seemed low. Is this a new rule? (She did not charge me when I gently pushed back. Of course, I'd already paid $25.)
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DUT
I will have one checked suitcase measuring total approx. 66", the Alaska limit is 62". Any experience with agents pulling out a tape measure to verify at check-in? The suit case looks a little big, but not enormous. Weight is approx. 32 lbs, so not a weight issue. Pretty much like a regular black roller suitcase. I'm MVPG, so two pcs free so long as not oversize (which this technically is). Flying ANC-KOA and return next week.

BTW - it is a suitcase which contains a Ritchey Breakaway road bike. You cannot tell a bike is inside this suitcase unless its opened.

I couldn't find any recent threads on this topic. Wondering if anybody has experience with by the book agents measuring bags...?

Thanks,
DUT
The S&S bag is regulation size and I have never been questioned, checked it over 100 times. A friend travels with the Ritchey and has been questioned a few times but never charged. The best response is to say it is regulation sized. If they jump on the fact there is a bike in there explain how it is a specially designed so it fits in a regulation sized bag.

When I first started traveling with my S&S backback case 10 years ago none of the check in folks knew what it was. Now those kind of bags are super common. They all know what it is, what is in it, and never ask questions.

One thing to note is to make sure you keep it under 50 pounds. I can check up to 70 pounds but when I pack it that heavy it comes to the special oversized bag location, which often adds time.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I have been traveling with a scuba diving bag, weight has been the only concern. Have taken a 20" folding bike on 3 trips this year, 2 on AS, had one minor issue OGG-SAN when the AS ticket agent refused to check it until it was first physically inspected by the TSA.

Just bought a used Ritchey BreakAway, with the "oversized" Ritchey bag - do not expect any issues. In the unlikely event I am charged a fee, I will invest in an S&S "compliant" case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.