Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
I've read about these short seat pan comments. What exactly does that mean and how much of a difference does it mean?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel
But keep in mind that 16 (and 17) will have shorter seat pans. I've done transcons in exit rows, but I'd rather have a non-PC normal seat.
I generally still prefer 17 Aisle and 16 Aisle. But I tend to use the whole legroom of those rows, hitting the under seat bar in front.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
There is definitely more pitch in the exit row, at least 1-2 inches based on my empirical experience, and row 17 is preferred due to the recline.

I cannot both put my backpack under the seat in front of me and stretch my legs in PE. I can, easily, in row 17.
Its actually the other way around, 40" of pitch between rows 4 and 6 and 38" of pitch at the exit rows. However pitch really can't be used as a comparison due to the first class seat. Seat pitch is measured from the forward mounting stud on one seat to the same point on the next seat. Because the first class seat is longer, it takes up the extra pitch.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And aren't the trays different too?
The slides that the trays are mounted to allow for more extension at the exit rows.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by pfpdx
I've read about these short seat pan comments. What exactly does that mean and how much of a difference does it mean?
The exit row seat bottoms are closer to the floor and shorter front to back by around an inch in both directions. To get them closer to the floor, there is a seat pan that mounts to the frame, with a cushion and cover on top of that. In contrast, the rest of the coach seats use a aluminum frame with fabric stretched over it and a padded cover on top of that.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Putzy
The exit row seat bottoms are closer to the floor and shorter front to back by around an inch in both directions. To get them closer to the floor, there is a seat pan that mounts to the frame, with a cushion and cover on top of that. In contrast, the rest of the coach seats use a aluminum frame with fabric stretched over it and a padded cover on top of that.
I don't even know what you just said! We sit in 17 all the time, no problems. I've sat in PC, no problems. To me it's get in, sit down, shaddup. Honestly, maybe if you're 7 feet tall you'll notice a difference, but not most people. I prefer the exit row as I've droned on about before because it's the perfect location for the Y lav...the carts go by, we get up and run to the back, we come back and cart is just getting to 17. More forward and I'm trapped behind the cart for a long time - and NO, I won't use the F lav when I'm in Y - I hate the parade when I'm in F, and I personally won't be part of it when I'm in Y.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Putzy
Its actually the other way around, 40" of pitch between rows 4 and 6 and 38" of pitch at the exit rows. However pitch really can't be used as a comparison due to the first class seat. Seat pitch is measured from the forward mounting stud on one seat to the same point on the next seat. Because the first class seat is longer, it takes up the extra pitch.
I was responding to a question about Premium Economy seat pitch generally, not just row 6 (which is an odd duck because, as you note, of the First Class seat in front of it).

The exit rows do have more effective legroom than PE. I personally avoid row 6 because of the limited underseat storage and fewer power outlets, as well as the annoying curtain that, if you're tall (as I am), seems very close to one's face.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist
Snack Box Update or Lite Bites in Premium Class on LAX-SEA.
Fig bar, almonds and gummy bears.

Looks like cranberries are out in this rotation.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Flying to Anchorage this weekend, first time as an AS elite. I thought I was on the Premium Class "waitlist," but I just was able to select Premium Class on my own and move up for free when the 72 hour window open. Is this how it always works?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Flying to Anchorage this weekend, first time as an AS elite. I thought I was on the Premium Class "waitlist," but I just was able to select Premium Class on my own and move up for free when the 72 hour window open. Is this how it always works?
Depends on your elite status and your fare class, but doesn't sound unusual:

Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by pbelmore
Depends on your elite status and your fare class, but doesn't sound unusual:

Got it, so if there are empty Premium Class seats at 72 hours, Gold can select them? I thought it was a waiting game like with First upgrades (which I already cleared just under 72 hours. Yay!).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Got it, so if there are empty Premium Class seats at 72 hours, Gold can select them? I thought it was a waiting game like with First upgrades (which I already cleared just under 72 hours. Yay!).
Where were you seated before? It's possible you qualified for the upgrade but were in an exit row so you wouldn't have been automatically upgraded. That happened to me for months before I realized they had made that change in the process. If that's not it I'm not quite sure, as I know you can't just select a PC seat during the upgrade window unless your upgrade has cleared (at least I've never been able to).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by pbelmore
Where were you seated before? It's possible you qualified for the upgrade but were in an exit row so you wouldn't have been automatically upgraded. That happened to me for months before I realized they had made that change in the process. If that's not it I'm not quite sure, as I know you can't just select a PC seat during the upgrade window unless your upgrade has cleared (at least I've never been able to).
Only one one (of four) legs was I in the exit row.

Coincidently (or not?), once I moved to the exit row the two legs that were in the 72 hour window upgraded me to first within a minute.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Does the last row (row 9) of premium economy on the 737-900 have a normal window or is it just a wall?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Does the last row (row 9) of premium economy on the 737-900 have a normal window or is it just a wall?
On the 900ER its a window. On the 800 I think it is a wall on the left side, not sure on the 900.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.