Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zxd
I received a .message to upgrade to PC for $50 a ticket (two px so I upgraded both), the message said Free beer, wine, and drinks. I did it mainly for this benefit. I upgraded, got on the flight, and asked for a drink - they said it's a dry flight and no beverages are offered. I sent a message to Alaska customer care and that said it means only if it's available on the flight. How am I supposed to know that? They gave me a $25 flight credit, I wanted a refund for the whole thing and they refused.

Any advice? Isn't this false advertising?
CC chargeback. Service not provided. Include the original message.

I would file a DOT complaint too. It's unfair and deceptive to send you an offer to upgrade a specific flight, and, as part of the offer, claim that certain services are provided, and then not provide those for your specific flight.

If they want to provide services on some flights only, fine, but they can't tout those services when trying to sell you an upgrade on a flight that doesn't have them.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jul 18, 2022 at 11:51 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
CC

If they want to provide services on some flights only, fine, but they can't tout those services when trying to sell you an upgrade on a flight that doesn't have them.
They certainly can if there is an asterisk by the offer and fine print that says "on available flights" or something of that nature.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
They certainly can if there is an asterisk by the offer and fine print that says "on available flights" or something of that nature.
Maybe. That's up to DOT to decide. The question is whether the ad is deceptive, not whether it's technically correct when including the fine print.

I would argue that it's deceptive and therefore against DOT policy. It's not a generic ad to upgrade; it's a specific offer for a specific flight. AS could choose not to mention the benefits that don't exist on the flights in the offer; they choose not to.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Maybe. That's up to DOT to decide. The question is whether the ad is deceptive, not whether it's technically correct when including the fine print.

I would argue that it's deceptive and therefore against DOT policy. It's not a generic ad to upgrade; it's a specific offer for a specific flight. AS could choose not to mention the benefits that don't exist on the flights in the offer; they choose not to.
I would definitely have to see the email before agreeing it was deceptive but it's up to the OP to decide what to do.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by zxd
I received a .message to upgrade to PC for $50 a ticket (two px so I upgraded both), the message said Free beer, wine, and drinks. I did it mainly for this benefit. I upgraded, got on the flight, and asked for a drink - they said it's a dry flight and no beverages are offered. I sent a message to Alaska customer care and that said it means only if it's available on the flight. How am I supposed to know that? They gave me a $25 flight credit, I wanted a refund for the whole thing and they refused.

Any advice? Isn't this false advertising?
Also wondering what route this was, as my non-status companion recently received an offer to ug from main to F for only $42 during OLCI. The flight included a choice of three cold meal options, so the ug was a no-brainer for the priority boarding, wider seat and legroom, food, drinks, and baggage allowance (if needed). But, premium class ug for $50 on a route that is too short for drink service sounds pretty steep to me. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:03 pm
zxd

Programs: A3
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Also wondering what route this was, as my non-status companion recently received an offer to ug from main to F for only $42 during OLCI. The flight included a choice of three cold meal options, so the ug was a no-brainer for the priority boarding, wider seat and legroom, food, drinks, and baggage allowance (if needed). But, premium class ug for $50 on a route that is too short for drink service sounds pretty steep to me. Just my 2 cents.
The route was LAX to LAS- there was no *; yes there were the other benefits but really for such a short flight I didn't care, I guess the extra leg room was a plus
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by zxd
The route was LAX to LAS- there was no *; yes there were the other benefits but really for such a short flight I didn't care, I guess the extra leg room was a plus
Only 236 miles, so below the 350-mile cut-off. That being said, I agree they really should make it more clear before you pay to upgrade.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:51 am

If you buy premium class (with cash, not a free upgrade) on an alaska mileage award flight (alaska metal) - what's the policy if you cancel this award. The miles and $5.60 is supposed to be refunded but what about the premium class buyin of $50 or so.

I wasn't able to do this cancellation online and the chat rep "made an exception" to refund me the premium class fees (along with redeposit my miles), since they weren't able to have the system deposit money in the wallet. What's the actual policy here for award flights and premium class cash-buy.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Nov 30, 2022 at 10:07 am
Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
It's definitely supposed to be refundable, but the question is which form of payment
If a customer voluntarily changes his/her flight once purchased, a refund for the Premium Class paid upgrade purchase will only be provided if a refundable fare was purchased, in which case the refund will be applied to the original form of payment.
If a non-refundable ticket is cancelled, then both the ticket price and the Premium Class paid upgrade purchase will be credited to the customer's Wallet for future travel. Wallet funds may not be applied towards Premium Class paid upgrade purchases.
​​​​​​​I'm pretty sure all award travel is considered a refundable fare (especially on AS metal where you don't have the 12.50 partner booking fee) so to me I think it should go to your original form of payment, but it's not clearly spelled out so agents will interpret it differently, sigh
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:33 pm

Quick question on how these seatmaps work if I may.

I just booked roundtrip AUS->SEA for July 4th weekend through an AA Marketed Codeshare. I'm an AA elite that should get automatic access to Premium class. When I look at the seat map, they all show as "uanvailable" for the flight, none showing as occupied.

I tried searching this thread for "unavailable" but didn't see much discussion. Are they all taken even though they aren't showing occupied, or is something wrong?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ChillyDawg

I just booked roundtrip AUS->SEA for July 4th weekend through an AA Marketed Codeshare. I'm an AA elite that should get automatic access to Premium class. When I look at the seat map, they all show as "uanvailable" for the flight, none showing as occupied.

I tried searching this thread for "unavailable" but didn't see much discussion. Are they all taken even though they aren't showing occupied, or is something wrong?

Thanks,
Chris
Unavailable and occupied are different. You could also try just searching for the same flight on alaskaair.com to view the full seatmap. If you are Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum and the fare class is not X you should be able to select a Premium Class seat.
ChillyDawg likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

Thanks,
Chris
From your AA confirmation email, use the AS PNR to bring up your flight on AS. With eligible fare class or status, you should have access to PC when you select seats.

James
ChillyDawg likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by remyjette
Unavailable and occupied are different. You could also try just searching for the same flight on alaskaair.com to view the full seatmap. If you are Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum and the fare class is not X you should be able to select a Premium Class seat.
Thanks, the seats are completely empty on the alaskaair.com seatmap, so I think I realized what's blocking it. The fine print on the AA page says I can only upgrade one companion, and there's two listed on the ticket. I think rather than it allowing me to choose two out of three seats, it's just blocking me from all of them. That's annoying. Funny part is it still let me pick row 17 for all of us. I guess I could either split PNRs or just stick with row 17 for all three of us. Is there a big difference outside of no chance at an upgrade?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thanks, the seats are completely empty on the alaskaair.com seatmap, so I think I realized what's blocking it. The fine print on the AA page says I can only upgrade one companion, and there's two listed on the ticket. I think rather than it allowing me to choose two out of three seats, it's just blocking me from all of them. That's annoying. Funny part is it still let me pick row 17 for all of us. I guess I could either split PNRs or just stick with row 17 for all three of us. Is there a big difference outside of no chance at an upgrade?
That goes for AS Elites too. MVPG+ can upgrade 1 and only 1 companion on a PNR. PC is technically an upgrade and has a fee attached. MVPG75K/100K & AA equivalent can choose PC at the time of booking and have the upgrade fee waived on any non-Saver Main Cabin fare class if and only if there no more than 1 companion on the PNR.

The exit row isn't distinguished on AS as it is on AA as MCE. AS Elites & Oneworld Elites can choose them.

If you would all like to sit in PC together the best option is to split the PNR, 2 pax on one with the status holder and the other on their own PNR. You can then select PC for the 2 and have the upgrade fee waived and pay the upgrade for the other. This still allows the 2 to be eligible for F upgrades.

James
beckoa and ChillyDawg like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:20 am

Thanks, appreciate it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.