Is basic MVP worth a status run?

Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by jinglish
There are SDC benefits for MVPs? I thought that was only for Golds and 75Ks.
MVPs can SDC at 10p the night before. The fee isn't waived though. Everyone else has to wait 6 hrs (?) before departure.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by buzglyd
I appreciate all the replies.

I have until tomorrow to make my decision.

I'm leaning toward giving it a try.

I'll fly SAN-BOS once or twice in 2016 and SAN-MCO as well. Both non-stop.

Plus we also have non-stops too all the islands from here and I love the LAX-DCA non-stop.
just being able to get a premium window seat LAX<-->DCA would make the status MR worthwhile; from what I understand, that's a near-impossible UG

I hit MVP in Jul, Gold last week; most of my travel is WAS<-->SEA, with an occasional SEA<-->LAX/SNA ... thus far I'm 3/3 on SEA-LAX-BWI, 2/2 on LAX<-->SEA, 0/2 on SEA<-->BWI, 1/1 on SEA-SNA, 1/1 on IAD-SEA; even better, all the UGs have cleared at the window rather than going to the gate
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
I would absolutely do the run. This is my first year as MVP and did a run to JFK to re-qualify. Traveled SEA to KOA with family, all on award tickets, and all 4 of us got upgraded for the return. Flying to SJC on Friday and got upgraded. As others have said, the best perk is the seat selection, which does apply to all your companions also.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Well, I'm going for it. Red Eye flight with a same day turn.

If I lived in Seattle I probably wouldn't because I'd be too low on the totem pole. But, I can't imagine there are a lot of business travelers flying out of San Diego on Alaska.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Now that's the Flyertalk spirit! Have a good flight

Neil
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I have MVP status.....

about 50% of my AS metal flights I have gotten FC upgrades.

Since you are in SAN I think you will have a far better shot of a FC upgrade flying SAN-Hawaii or flying up to SJC/OAK and flying out of there than you would going from SEA/PDX.

other benefits...
baggage 2 check free on AS and 1 bag on AA.

Another reason I use Alaska as of now is because you can pool your flights on AS, AA, and DL into one account and get credit. I fly close to 25K/30 seg every year on my own (not business related). pooling them is beneficial.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN AList
Originally Posted by djp98374
I have MVP status.....

about 50% of my AS metal flights I have gotten FC upgrades.

Since you are in SAN I think you will have a far better shot of a FC upgrade flying SAN-Hawaii or flying up to SJC/OAK and flying out of there than you would going from SEA/PDX.
I've gotten really lucky as an MVP getting upgraded between SAN and SEA. This year I've been 75G, but for next year will only qualify for plain MVP. Hoping to pool across DL/AA/AS next year to get MVPG.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:17 pm

Can regular MVP book row 6 and exit rows? Or are those only Gold and above?

(This is the main thing motivating me to mileage run from MVP to Gold)
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by josh_sea
Can regular MVP book row 6 and exit rows? Or are those only Gold and above?

(This is the main thing motivating me to mileage run from MVP to Gold)
All elites have access to those.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
All elites have access to those.
oooh. thanks!

I'd miss other Gold benefits (have been Gold on Delta of AS for many years now, but might come up short this year), but that was my greatest concern.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Finished it yesterday!

The funny part was flying to Boston and deplaning, going to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and getting right back on the same plane at the same gate back to Seattle.

7200 miles total. My body hurts from all the sitting but everything went as scheduled.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Congrats!

Neil
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:48 am
Suspended

Finished it yesterday!

The funny part was flying to Boston and deplaning, going to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and getting right back on the same plane at the same gate back to Seattle.

7200 miles total. My body hurts from all the sitting but everything went as scheduled.
Did you get upgraded or you don't have status yet?
BOS-SAN is my business trip flight and every time I got upgraded as a MVP.
Last time I was sitting next to a AA Plat who told me she used Upgrade Certs to get into F. But even then, she would be below MVPs on the upgrade list (I think).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
Finished it yesterday!

Congrats! I'm going on my most stupid MR (Status-Run?) yet to requality for MVP Sunday.

AA: PDX-PHX, PHX-BOS, Shower in AA lounge, duplicate return. 6600 miles in ~20 hours.

Not the best use of time, but couldn't find a AS flight that would get me there for less than $500.

Monday is going to suck!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VWTim
Congrats! I'm going on my most stupid MR (Status-Run?) yet to requality for MVP Sunday.

AA: PDX-PHX, PHX-BOS, Shower in AA lounge, duplicate return. 6600 miles in ~20 hours.

Not the best use of time, but couldn't find a AS flight that would get me there for less than $500.

Monday is going to suck!
My problem with including AA flights in my mileage runs is that I don't want to feel like I must cough up an extra 5000 miles for the same status I would get on AS metal. Also, since judicious use of my companion certs is a key part of my mileage running strategy, partner flights are a no-go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.