Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Error message trying to change seats online for return.

Old Nov 2, 15, 8:48 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me

We see a pair of open seats for our return flight from PVR to SEA that we want to change to (1DF to 3DF). We had the bulkhead coming down and the foot space was too tight.

We are in Mexico now.

I have tried a dozen times to make the switch online but I keep getting " error encountered" message when I hit the save button.

Is it because I am in the middle of this trip? Or I'm in Mexico? Or there is something wrong with the system?

I could call but it would be international long distance.
Old Nov 2, 15, 8:59 pm

I don't think it has to do with the fact you're in the middle of the trip, you're in Mexico, etc.

I've encountered this before where the flight is under airport control and you can't make any seating changes until check-in, although it hasn't happened in the last year or so for me. How close are you to departure? If it's within a couple days, this could be it.

I may try changing seats on the mobile website or app if you've got that.
Old Nov 2, 15, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by United757 View Post
I don't think it has to do with the fact you're in the middle of the trip, you're in Mexico, etc.

I've encountered this before where the flight is under airport control and you can't make any seating changes until check-in, although it hasn't happened in the last year or so for me. How close are you to departure? If it's within a couple days, this could be it.

I may try changing seats on the mobile website or app if you've got that.
This, or are you at an upgrade window? I have gotten this error message when trying to change seats at the 5 day, 3 day or 2 day prior to departure mark. Someone told me it was due to seating changes being locked at the various upgrade windows to allow for upgrade processing. Sure enough, a few hours later I was able to make the change.
Old Nov 3, 15, 4:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Agree airport control can be a bugger. Sometimes it might even be an airplane swap.

For international calls this can be a good reference:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/about-us/contact-us/contact-international.aspx
Old Nov 3, 15, 5:00 am

Programs: really nothing anymore
Skype or Google Voice can be your friend too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: