Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1720535-loose-ek-routing-

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1720535-loose-ek-routing-

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Exactly, bloggers and other posters here don't care about future bookings and just feel the need to spread the info further for whatever reason.
Yes because of the dozen people that visit this thread per day really spreads the info vs a Business Insider article that claims to have been loaded/viewed 10 million times in 48 hours.

This article states that he just found out about card churning around a year ago and that is how he acquired the miles needed.

"So I just started typing different city combinations. I nested a lot of 24-hour layovers — but [in the computer] it looks like Singapore to New York."

"I don't fly usually for the sake of flying first class," Huang said. "This was just a cool loophole. If they're going to let me do this why not see how far I can take it."

Even though he was able to book the ticket, he was still nervous about being able to actually get on the plane. But he needn't have been.

"No one ever really questioned me at the check-in counter. I was surprised: I thought for sure someone would flag it eventually. But no, no one really questioned it, they just said 'Welcome, Mr. Huang.'"

At one point, Alaska reached out to him on the phone, and an agent asked if he really wanted all of the layovers scheduled for the ticket. "She said, 'well it looks weird, but as long as the computer says it's OK,'" said Huang.

None of this information explains this routing:

I have doubts that someone this new to the game just stumbled upon a method on their own to get something like that to work. Can explain how he did this via a PM?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I created a thread for this topic in external miles:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter......-300-a.html
People will do anything today to get themselves published !Many of these blogs are "all about the blogger" and not for the average person

Just saying
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
People will do anything today to get themselves published !Many of these blogs are "all about the blogger" and not for the average person

Just saying
He is using this as a publicity stunt to drive traffic to his website that is for the average person so that he can get credit card sign ups. The website is actually well designed. You can tell that there was a lot of preparation before he published this trip to all forms of social media. He may have also hired someone to get the word out as I noticed that many of the stories hit the same day... This was highly planned. He even has a email address for media inquiries. This is not some amateur blog that is "all about the blogger". This is from TPG playbook of setting up a business plan that then turns into a blog.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This is not some amateur blog that is "all about the blogger". This is from TPG playbook of setting up a business plan that then turns into a blog.
How many bloggers can actually live off a website touting award trips and credit card bonuses? Eventually, the game is up and all these bloggers are out of business. How long can it last when you hear these "I flew F for only 60,000" every other day??
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG HHonors
He is using this as a publicity stunt to drive traffic to his website that is for the average person so that he can get credit card sign ups. The website is actually well designed. You can tell that there was a lot of preparation before he published this trip to all forms of social media. He may have also hired someone to get the word out as I noticed that many of the stories hit the same day... This was highly planned. He even has a email address for media inquiries. This is not some amateur blog that is "all about the blogger". This is from TPG playbook of setting up a business plan that then turns into a blog.
Definitely seems well-executed. And cc conversions are likely his end game, yes, but he doesn't have any affiliate links yet. So, he will need to sustain some content to build an audience that he can sell to. So far, all he has is a lot of eyeballs that will go away if there's not something more.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ScottTexas
Definitely seems well-executed. And cc conversions are likely his end game, yes, but he doesn't have any affiliate links yet. So, he will need to sustain some content to build an audience that he can sell to. So far, all he has is a lot of eyeballs that will go away if there's not something more.
Yes, well executed. He benefits in terms of SEO (search engine rankings) from all the inbound links to his site. Interesting that he didn't build out all the content on his site first, though.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
The easiest solution AS could implement is the number of legs per award. For example, by setting an upper limit at 4 legs you could fly SAN-SEA-DXB-BOM, but you would not be able to fly NYC-MIL-DXB-SYD-AKL-MEL-SIN.
That screwed up many people in the US who done have single connect options to gateways. many countries were not impossible to get to in 4 segments.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
That screwed up many people in the US who done have single connect options to gateways. many countries were not impossible to get to in 4 segments.
Too bad. That's what you get when bloggers brag about their zillion-leg F itineraries.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dieuwer
perhaps as should just close the account of sam and ban him from alaska mileageplan for the rest of his life. @:-)
^

Originally Posted by dieuwer
then close every as account of every blogger. Problem solved.
^ ^ ^

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
exactly, bloggers and other posters here don't care about future bookings and just feel the need to spread the info further for whatever reason.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
^

^ ^ ^

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
^^^^^^^^
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Too bad. That's what you get when bloggers brag about their zillion-leg F itineraries.
Yep, I never mentioned the borderline epic AA Explorer award I booked in first class in detail until well after I had completed it and after the award died. But it was a doozy .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.