Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible systemic PQM crediting error

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Possible systemic PQM crediting error

First off let me give a kudos to AS customer service for fixing this. This is just a heads up to others to watch for the issue. I had booked a revenue F ticket KOA-SEA-PDX. The SEA-PDX leg was on Horizon so in economy. When the trip credited to my account the KOA-SEA leg got the 1.75 multiplier applied as expected. However, the SEA-PDX leg got 1.0. Depending upon how one reads the rules the leg should have either gotten 1.75 (part of a F ticket) or 1.5 (actually had to book to Y given the Q400. When I wrote AS they reacted sort of with a "hmm" since they agreed that 1.0 was wrong but didn't see why that happened. They referred it to their IT folks (who took a while staring at it apparently). Ultimately, they fixed it to 1.75. It's not a lot of miles but it could impact my elite level for next year as it turns out. In any case, I just wanted to alert others who have similar tickets to check what they get posted since it would appear to be a systemic error of some sort. Since the AS website doesn't make it easy to actually see PQMs versus RDMs (which were also wrong in this case) you need to look carefully at what gets credited.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by pdx1M
First off let me give a kudos to AS customer service for fixing this. This is just a heads up to others to watch for the issue. I had booked a revenue F ticket KOA-SEA-PDX. The SEA-PDX leg was on Horizon so in economy. When the trip credited to my account the KOA-SEA leg got the 1.75 multiplier applied as expected. However, the SEA-PDX leg got 1.0. Depending upon how one reads the rules the leg should have either gotten 1.75 (part of a F ticket) or 1.5 (actually had to book to Y given the Q400. When I wrote AS they reacted sort of with a "hmm" since they agreed that 1.0 was wrong but didn't see why that happened. They referred it to their IT folks (who took a while staring at it apparently). Ultimately, they fixed it to 1.75. It's not a lot of miles but it could impact my elite level for next year as it turns out. In any case, I just wanted to alert others who have similar tickets to check what they get posted since it would appear to be a systemic error of some sort. Since the AS website doesn't make it easy to actually see PQMs versus RDMs (which were also wrong in this case) you need to look carefully at what gets credited.
I've had to call in for proper credit (150% eqm) on the Horizon leg for every F ticket I've purchased with connecting travel.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flytoeat
I've had to call in for proper credit (150% eqm) on the Horizon leg for every F ticket I've purchased with connecting travel.
Well it does sound systemic then. They actually credited me at 1.75. The bonus rules are weird in the case of PDX-SEA. There are both Horizon and mainline flights on that and when you buy an F ticket it costs the same no matter which you happen to fly. Strict reading of the rules suggest that even though you pay the same you actually could get fewer miles for flying the poorer plane and it isn't even in your control since AS can change the schedule as they need.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
How do you earn PQMs on Alaska Airlines? Do you mean EQM (elite qualifying miles)? Or are you talking about earning elite status on other airlines?

Pretty sure there are no elite statuses with the word "Premier" in them on AS...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 22, 2015 at 9:32 am
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
How do you earn PQMs on Alaska Airlines? Do you mean EQM (elite qualifying miles)? Or are you talking about earning elite status on other airlines?

Pretty sure there are no elite statuses with the word "Premier" in them on AS...
Sorry - old habit. EQM is the right term. On the other hand I doubt anyone had difficulty understanding the substance of the post despite the form error.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Sorry - old habit. EQM is the right term. On the other hand I doubt anyone had difficulty understanding the substance of the post despite the form error.
I was a bit confused as to if it's partner credit or AS credit, actually, sorry.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
This has been an issue for as long as Alaska has given a bonus for full Y tickets. I've been told multiple times by the Gold desk and the Customer Care folks that the EQM bonus doesn't count on QX flights that are part of a full F itinerary because the bonus "only counts on flights with F."

Then again, Customer Care is the same group that told me I couldn't earn miles flying an AA marketed flight with an Alaska codeshare, operated by Republic, because "Alaska isn't a partner with Republic Airways."
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: asMVPG
Am I correct in reading this thread that the 75% bonus miles for paid F would count towards MVP/G/75 qualification? I'm about 7k miles short of MVPG for this year and contemplating a mileage run, so paid F might be a decent option. (sorry for the tangent)
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by chefraekwon
Am I correct in reading this thread that the 75% bonus miles for paid F would count towards MVP/G/75 qualification? I'm about 7k miles short of MVPG for this year and contemplating a mileage run, so paid F might be a decent option. (sorry for the tangent)
Yes, the bonus miles for paid F are Elite Qualifying Miles. Note this doesn't apply if you upgrade into F, either complimentary, with miles or GGU's as these book into 'U'.

"Class of Service Bonus Miles apply toward Mileage Plan™ Elite Status"
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:05 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
First off let me give a kudos to AS customer service for fixing this. This is just a heads up to others to watch for the issue. I had booked a revenue F ticket KOA-SEA-PDX. The SEA-PDX leg was on Horizon so in economy. When the trip credited to my account the KOA-SEA leg got the 1.75 multiplier applied as expected. However, the SEA-PDX leg got 1.0. Depending upon how one reads the rules the leg should have either gotten 1.75 (part of a F ticket) or 1.5 (actually had to book to Y given the Q400. .
So Im confused. Your QX flight wasnt booked into fare code F so why would you get 175% miles for that segment? If that segment was in code Y then yes you should've gotten 150% and as previously mentioned thats been a glitch from the get go. Happens every time you get upgraded on a Y, S, M, or B fare
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC
So Im confused. Your QX flight wasnt booked into fare code F so why would you get 175% miles for that segment? If that segment was in code Y then yes you should've gotten 150% and as previously mentioned thats been a glitch from the get go. Happens every time you get upgraded on a Y, S, M, or B fare
What I got originally was 100% not 150% so there was an error that seems to be systemic not 1 off. There was no upgrade involved here - this was a revenue F ticket. My comment about the 175% was that it is a pretty odd quirk of the rules that you don't get 175% since you are booking F on a trip where if AS happens to have a 737 on the leg you get the 175% for sure but if they happen to put you on a Q400 you don't. Note that the trip price is the same whether you get AS or QX and as schedules change they can move you from one to the other. So you pay the same and may fly either but the bonus is different. In any case I was expecting 150%. As it turns out they fixed it and gave me 175% which while I think is actually fairer in this case is probably not exactly per the rules. By the way, PDX-SEA may be unique in this regard as I am not sure whether AS has other route where only a subset of the flights have an F cabin. I'm sure someone here can tell me.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:57 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I am not sure whether AS has other route where only a subset of the flights have an F cabin. I'm sure someone here can tell me.
FAI(basically the only jet service to FAI 1 flight late in the evening and is essentially a reposition of the a/c for the N/s FAI to SEA redeye) and GEG oh and a lot of Alaska bush destinations ADQ OME BET etc jets with F cabins will randomly show up on the schedules

Last edited by ANC; Oct 22, 2015 at 9:05 pm
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Heck even ADK gets F sometimes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.