Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Point of sale terminal battery on AS 17 catches fire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold

Flight attendants and pilot handled it well and put it out with an extinguisher.

But now we've been diverted to Buffalo and the plane will need to be inspected for overweight landing, etc.

So much for getting a solid nap in before landing in Seattle!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by autumnmist
Flight attendants and pilot handled it well and put it out with an extinguisher.

But now we've been diverted to Buffalo and the plane will need to be inspected for overweight landing, etc.

So much for getting a solid nap in before landing in Seattle!
The little hand held POS caught fire? Can not imagine it being a big deal. Thing would burn itself out in short order. Surprised about a diversion. I have seen worse fumes from the bathroom before.... lol!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:00 am
Original Poster

The important question is what is the probability we reboard and continue flight vs everyone getting put on new flights. I have 1 hr to either use my BarclayCard US Air lounge pass or hold onto it in case I have to connect through ORD. Hmmm... Living in Seattle means I never have a chance to use it.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
The little hand held POS caught fire? Can not imagine it being a big deal. Thing would burn itself out in short order. Surprised about a diversion. I have seen worse fumes from the bathroom before.... lol!
I think lithium ion battery fires can get fairly explosive, no? Granted it is small...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I think lithium ion battery fires can get fairly explosive, no? Granted it is small...

indeed.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

The important question is what is the probability we reboard and continue flight vs everyone getting put on new flights. I have 1 hr to either use my BarclayCard US Air lounge pass or hold onto it in case I have to connect through ORD. Hmmm... Living in Seattle means I never have a chance to use it.
Holla! My best use of that pass ever. Stuck in Buffalo for 5 hours until the replacement flight arrives from Seattle. All alternate routes would require layovers in DTW on DL or ORD on UA and only arrive 2 hrs before our scheduled 7-8pmish arrival.

I feel bad for the people who were planning to connect in Seattle to Shanghai and Hawaii though.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Holla! My best use of that pass ever. Stuck in Buffalo for 5 hours until the replacement flight arrives from Seattle. All alternate routes would require layovers in DTW on DL or ORD on UA and only arrive 2 hrs before our scheduled 7-8pmish arrival.

I feel bad for the people who were planning to connect in Seattle to Shanghai and Hawaii though.
surprised to hear they are flying in a whole new plane. will be interesting to hear/see what they have to do w/the original bird and how soon they get it back to Seattle.

who is handling ops in this situation for AS at BUF? AA, UA, DL?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
surprised to hear they are flying in a whole new plane. will be interesting to hear/see what they have to do w/the original bird and how soon they get it back to Seattle.

who is handling ops in this situation for AS at BUF? AA, UA, DL?
Looks like combo of DL, AS flight crew, and on-site airport manager. The DL person said they can't rebook anyone since they're just "handling the situation on contract" so pax are being told to call reservations.

They also mentioned this plane won't be flying passengers "for a while", but emphasis could've been for benefit for the unhappy pax who wanted to know why we couldn't just refuel and continue to Seattle.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Those were the only options?

No options to connect on DL via ATL/JFK or AA via JFK/DFW? (says the MRer in me figure if one was going to be that late anyway, might as well squeeze out the miles and maybe double-dip).

But so many other hubs and airlines, I wonder why the stuck with just those two as options.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan

No options to connect on DL via ATL/JFK or AA via JFK/DFW? (says the MRer in me figure if one was going to be that late anyway, might as well squeeze out the miles and maybe double-dip).

But so many other hubs and airlines, I wonder why the stuck with just those two as options.
I need this flight to qualify for MVP before thanksgiving travel and considering that I woke up at 5am (2am PST) to catch the original flight time I'm not in the mood to be in the air longer than necessary, all other hub options are going to get me there later I the evening and require traveling during work hours. Now I can squeeze out most of a work day off wifi.

Edit: pizza is here!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan

AA does not fly to JFK or DFW from BUF.

sAA operates to ORD
sUS operates to PHL, DCA, and CLT, IIRC and sUS would not yet earn miles in AS (?)
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I thought these POS systems were essentially apple ipod touches now?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...515Z/KBUF/KGEG

It now looks like the flight is diverting again to Spokane. Strange.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
AA does not fly to JFK or DFW from BUF.

sAA operates to ORD
sUS operates to PHL, DCA, and CLT, IIRC and sUS would not yet earn miles in AS (?)
Wow, BUF gets no love!

And confirming, sUS flights won't earn AS miles.

Tough break for OP... but hey, there's pizza!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I thought these POS systems were essentially apple ipod touches now?
iPhone 6+ with an external battery pack/card reader.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.