Wiki Posts
Search

Assignment of Preferred Seating On Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Emerald; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum
Assignment of Preferred Seating On Delta

Still learning my way around using my Alaska FF# on partner airlines. And so looking for advice/help.
I have successfully used AA website to book fares and when I put in my AS FF# I then have the ability to select preferred seating at no charge, during the booking process.
Now when I use Delta, I dont seem to have that ability, unless I pay for the ability to access the preferred seating, am I missing something here?
I am MVP Gold 75K
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
how long ago did you earn your gold or 75K status?

economy comfort/comfort plus (C+) seats on DL are not free any longer. however, you should still be able to select exit rows and other "preferred" but non-C+ seats for free.

if you earned your status very recently, it might be that the system that talks to DL has not updated yet.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:07 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
You're missing the part where Alaska and Delta don't like each other

"Preferred seating" only includes the standard economy seats that Delta blocks for elites - we still have to pay if we want Comfort+ seating, unlike on AA where Main Cabin Extra is complementary for MVPGs (and MVPs at check in)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Emerald; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the advice - that's what I was suspecting - I have been MVP Gold 75 for a year (after being a multiple year 1K on UA, before defecting!) so still have my training wheels on.
So I guess it AA for me then, as they play nicer with AS, if I am going somewhere (overseas) that AS does not fly!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I do believe AA provides better benefits for AS Elites than what DL might. While upgrades are not yet available for on AA, access to AA's Main Cabin Extra is much more reliable than a near zero chance of a DL's F upgrade. Then the deal breaker of DL's charging AS elites for baggage, no brainer. AA wins.

Jiburi
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:54 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
I booked a DL flight recently (as an AS MVP), and right after buying it the DL website didn't let me choose a preferred seat and didn't seem to recognize my MVP status right away. When I checked back a few days later, I could and did select an exit row seat.
If you bought your ticket today just check back in a day or two and it should work, although another possibility is that all the preferred seats are taken already (there aren't many on most aircraft - just bulkhead and exit row seats that aren't C+ afaik)

Also +1 on choosing AA over DL when possible, but in this case AA was ~$140 more, which would pay for C+ and a checked bag on DL if I needed them.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Is the preferred seat benefit still available until the breakup? I'm considering buying a PDX-NRT flight in early April where the exit row is available as preferred seat (not E+). Will I be able to select that for free based on my AS 75k status?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jpdx
Is the preferred seat benefit still available until the breakup? I'm considering buying a PDX-NRT flight in early April where the exit row is available as preferred seat (not E+). Will I be able to select that for free based on my AS 75k status?
Yes.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by lhiltz
Still learning my way around using my Alaska FF# on partner airlines. And so looking for advice/help.
I have successfully used AA website to book fares and when I put in my AS FF# I then have the ability to select preferred seating at no charge, during the booking process.
Now when I use Delta, I dont seem to have that ability, unless I pay for the ability to access the preferred seating, am I missing something here?
I am MVP Gold 75K
Per your comment about using the AA website, don't forget to book your AA flights on the AS website when you can, you get credit in real actual flown miles same as if you were flying AS. I just flew to PHX with AS down and AA back (because there is only one AS flight a day from PDX now). Was nice to get the same mIles, albeit counting in different buckets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.