FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Make changes to this trip vs Use the value of this trip to purchase a new trip (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1712634-make-changes-trip-vs-use-value-trip-purchase-new-trip.html)

kayexalate Sep 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Make changes to this trip vs Use the value of this trip to purchase a new trip

Hello:

I have a Y fare on a OW flight from SEA-EAT that I purchased using a combination of a discount code (ECSR50xxxx) + funds from "my wallet".

The trip is not until 3/4/16.

I'm not taking this trip at all and want to use the funds ($123.35) toward a new trip from SFO-PVR in January.

When I go to my itinerary, I get a few options.

First option: Change vs. Cancel. I was told not to "cancel" the flight because I will lose the discount code value ($50).

So I choose "change"

However, upon that option I get another choice:

Make changes to this trip
OR
Use the value of this trip to purchase a new trip

Either option I choose gives me the choice to change departure city (to SFO) and destination city (to PVR) and change the date. (depart in January)

THe "use the value of this trip" allows me to do a RT option vs. the "make changes" to this trip does not give me the option to change to a RT (OW only) but that doesnt' make a big difference as I can just buy another OW return ticket.

Does it make a difference which option I choose? I'm inclined to choose the "use the value of this trip" just so I have a RT ticket with one PNR instead of two OW tix, but again, not a big deal

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something or that some issue will come up with the original ticket in the ways that those funds (my wallet + discount cert) were applied.

Thanks

jona970318 Sep 26, 2015 9:32 pm

You will not lose the value of what you've paid from mywallet. However, depending on the T&Cs of the discount code, you may not be able to make changes. I'm not sure things are pricing out, but if your discount code is reflecting either way, I don't see any issues

PDXPremier Sep 26, 2015 9:50 pm

I have a trip I don't plan to take next year that was booked with a $50 customer service discount code and when I went to cancel it so I could get the funds deposited into my wallet, it was very clear that the $50 from the discount code would not be part of the my wallet deposit and I would lose the value of the code. So, I'm just waiting until I need to buy another ticket and use the value of the ticket toward that trip.

jona970318 Sep 26, 2015 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 25483409)
I have a trip I don't plan to take next year that was booked with a $50 customer service discount code and when I went to cancel it so I could get the funds deposited into my wallet, it was very clear that the $50 from the discount code would not be part of the my wallet deposit and I would lose the value of the code. So, I'm just waiting until I need to buy another ticket and use the value of the ticket toward that trip.

Your discount code still carried over?

PDXPremier Sep 26, 2015 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by jona970318 (Post 25483470)
Your discount code still carried over?

It was going to carry over if I used the value of the ticket immediately for a new ticket, but not if I wanted to deposit the entire value of the ticket into my wallet.

CDKing Sep 27, 2015 12:51 am

If you used a discount code, the only options are to rebook immediately or have ticket number emailed to you to use later. If that option does not come up, give AS a call.

PS That reminds me i need to find my email when i booked and cancelled a ticket with my AS Visa approval flight credit

jona970318 Sep 27, 2015 9:30 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 25483523)
It was going to carry over if I used the value of the ticket immediately for a new ticket, but not if I wanted to deposit the entire value of the ticket into my wallet.

So I'm assuming as golds we can continue doing that until we change to the flight we actually wanted?

PDXPremier Sep 27, 2015 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jona970318 (Post 25484771)
So I'm assuming as golds we can continue doing that until we change to the flight we actually wanted?

Yes, that's what I think the plan is, although I still wish we could just put it in my wallet to begin with.

jona970318 Sep 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 25485928)
Yes, that's what I think the plan is, although I still wish we could just put it in my wallet to begin with.

+1. Would certainly make life so much easier

PDXPremier Sep 27, 2015 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jona970318 (Post 25485999)
+1. Would certainly make life so much easier

Another thing I discovered is that when I make an award reservation with a stopover (like LAX-PDX (stopover)-MCI, I can no longer change the PDX-MCI to another date online....you have to call even though it is free and within the rules to change the date.

jona970318 Sep 27, 2015 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 25486011)
Another thing I discovered is that when I make an award reservation with a stopover (like LAX-PDX (stopover)-MCI, I can no longer change the PDX-MCI to another date online....you have to call even though it is free and within the rules to change the date.

I've had that problem as well, although I mostly book partner awards which I couldn't change online anyway

PDXPremier Sep 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by jona970318 (Post 25486043)
I've had that problem as well, although I mostly book partner awards which I couldn't change online anyway

You should be able to change AA and DL awards, correct?

jona970318 Sep 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 25486182)
You should be able to change AA and DL awards, correct?

:DNot CX. Also not sure about the other ones either.

PDXPremier Sep 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by jona970318 (Post 25486259)
:DNot CX. Also not sure about the other ones either.

Gotcha...I figured you might be talking about those "cool" airlines :p

jona970318 Sep 27, 2015 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 25486295)
Gotcha...I figured you might be talking about those "cool" airlines :p

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but on a related note. You know what I found out the other day? You cannot change award types once your travel had commenced. I've always thought awards get repriced each time a change is made.

i.e. I booked a flight from DXB-HKG(J), stopover, and then onward to JFK(F). Flown DXB segment back in December. Realized now that I won't be able to fly the rest in the next 4 months. I was told since I've already flown the first segment, nothing will be repriced. So if I fly everything in J, no refund. Cancelling the last segment, no refund. errrrrrrr:mad: