Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cancelling an award ticket for non-MVP booked using MVPG's miles, any fees?

Old Sep 8, 15, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P

I'm MVPG and Mrs is non-MVP, I booked 2 award travels for us (both using my miles) later this year.

We might not be able to make it due to visa issues. I know cancelling my ticket won't cause any fees, but how about my wife's? If there's indeed some fee to cancel her ticket, is that only in a timeframe (like, within 90 days prior to travel)?

I tried to check Conditions of Membership (http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...aspx#redeeming) but what it said looks quite vague to me:

Service fees will apply to replace, extend, or exchange award tickets, and to redeposit Miles into the member's account. Such fees are waived for MVP Gold and Gold 75K members.
Old Sep 8, 15, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Award ticket fee is based on that of the redeeming account. If you paid with your miles there should be no fee for either person.
missamo80, milypan and missydarlin like this.
Old Sep 8, 15, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
Award ticket fee is based on that of the redeeming account. If you paid with your miles there should be no fee for either person.
I've never incurred a fee canceling or changing an award ticket as a Gold/75K booking from a non-Gold/75K account.
Old Sep 8, 15, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 15, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United757 View Post
I've never incurred a fee canceling or changing an award ticket as a Gold/75K booking from a non-Gold/75K account.
Even better.
Old Aug 1, 18, 12:56 am

sorry to revive this old thread. Does anyone know if no fee cancellation of reward ticket using miles from MVPG+ account is still true after the June 2018 fee change?
Old Aug 1, 18, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTheShed View Post
sorry to revive this old thread. Does anyone know if no fee cancellation of reward ticket using miles from MVPG+ account is still true after the June 2018 fee change?
Yes, its been that way for many years. Long before the temporary 60+ day out free change for everyone
InTheShed likes this.
Old Aug 1, 18, 12:15 pm

Thanks @CDKing @rustykettel for the clarification.
Old Dec 14, 18, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott PLAT
So how about this scenario...if I book award travel as a MVPG for others (but Iím not traveling with them), and ultimately need to cancel, will Alaska redeposit the award miles upon cancellation without the $125 cancellation fee?
Old Dec 14, 18, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
And backing it up from AS:

Not so fast. There seems to have been a wording change. Discussed in this thread Policy Question - Change Fee. There is now some ambiguity about whether the Gold must also be travelling on the same award reservation to have the fees waived for non-Gold passengers.

The wording changed recently. It now says:

“As an MVP™ Gold, my change fees are waived. What about for my family?
While anyone traveling with you in the same reservation will have their luggage fees waived, the change fee will apply to all passengers other than the MVP Gold. The exception is if your fellow passengers are booked on an award ticket using your miles; in that case, change fees are waived.”

It used to just say that “passengers” booked using miles from a Gold account were exempt from change fees. Now, it says “fellow passengers”. If you look at the part I bolded above, it now makes it seem like only passengers are who booked on the same reservation as the Gold (“your fellow passengers”) using Gold miles are exempt from change fees.

It isn’t entirely clear but methinks this will be the new rule going forward. No change fees only for pax booked on the same reservation as the Gold.
Old Dec 14, 18, 5:22 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by jb2001 View Post
So how about this scenario...if I book award travel as a MVPG for others (but Iím not traveling with them), and ultimately need to cancel, will Alaska redeposit the award miles upon cancellation without the $125 cancellation fee?
Based on my understanding of the rules... yes, you get the miles back & there is no fee. That is how it has always worked in the past and I've done it multiple times when booking speculative airfare for friends to conditional events.

However Finkface has pointed out some odd wording which might reflect a change in the rule... It might also just be phrased that way because of the scenario they're describing.
Would be nice to get official confirmation if there has been a change because this is a great feature for elites.
Old Dec 14, 18, 8:10 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS G75K, DL GM, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond
I just cancelled my son's award ticket using my miles two weeks ago, and he was to fly alone. No change fees. He has no status. So I suppose the long standing policy still holds at the moment.
Old Dec 14, 18, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by BW Flyer View Post
I just cancelled my son's award ticket using my miles two weeks ago, and he was to fly alone. No change fees. He has no status. So I suppose the long standing policy still holds at the moment.
At the moment it does. I wouldn’t bet too much on it staying that way. Just a guess on my part but it does seem that they may soon close this nice little loophole.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30284630-post5.html
Old Dec 14, 18, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
At the moment it does. I wouldnít bet too much on it staying that way. Just a guess on my part but it does seem that they may soon close this nice little loophole.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30284630-post5.html
why a loophole - this is a standard practice at least on aa and ua

Search this Thread