Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't understand. Can you elaborate?
In the case of the Max, the FAA pulled the Airworthiness Certificate - which is the document that allows each airplane to fly, and in this case, the FAA pulled the entire type.

The only way a Max can get off the ground is with special FAA permission - so Alaska can't accept their planes and fly them to wherever to get wifi installed, winglets, etc. You'll see "Experimental" somewhere on the fuselage of test aircraft that have a special "Airworthiness Certificate" during all their tests.

his is why Boeing Field is a massive parking lot right now, Boeing is running out of space - and it requires a TREMENDOUS amount of paperwork just to fly a plane to another airport (even for storage). But I have a feeling that Boeing will have to start moving these planes to Paine or Moses Lake (anyone know of a nearby airport with room for 60+ planes?)

Once the AC's are restored, it may be a while before we get to see the planes upgraded to Alaska standards.

Friends that work for American and Copa have said the recent software fix is "good", but the pilots aren't satisfied. Airlines are pressuring Boeing and the FAA to roll it out, but the pilot groups are wanting more documentation and training on it (I think that's where the simulator comments are coming from, except the SIM manufacturer has to 'build' the scenario of an MCAS/runway trim situation).
Old May 20, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
his is why Boeing Field is a massive parking lot right now, Boeing is running out of space - and it requires a TREMENDOUS amount of paperwork just to fly a plane to another airport (even for storage). But I have a feeling that Boeing will have to start moving these planes to Paine or Moses Lake (anyone know of a nearby airport with room for 60+ planes?)
Oh, we're way past Paine and Moses Lake! https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...nding-lingers/

I don't know about MWH, but the last time I flew into PAE, there was pretty big line of MAXs keeping the KC-46s company.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Is this our first glimpse?

Source: https://tinyurl.com/y5o39ad9
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
I dunno. I was at Boeing Field two days ago, and while there were still some 737s parked there, it looked like a lot of what was there a few weeks ago was gone. Either they've been ferried somewhere, or maybe they're adding stealth technology to them.
I'll be back there again in a few days and will take a closer look to see if I just missed them or if they're just stacking them up like cordwood and hiding them in the hangars...

notquiteaff and mixmastermark like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:44 pm

The fact that the other plane has the new UA livery makes me think that these just rolled off the line. I'm not sure how long they'll stick around or if they're still there.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
The fact that the other plane has the new UA livery makes me think that these just rolled off the line. I'm not sure how long they'll stick around or if they're still there.
How in the "world" did you know it was UA?

James
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

On November 18, 2020, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certified the Boeing 737 MAX, giving the approval to all airlines, including Alaska, to begin the process of bringing the aircraft back into service. Our first aircraft, a MAX 9 model, is currently scheduled for delivery in early 2021 and will begin passenger service in March 2021.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...raft/737-max-9
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:30 pm

Now can anyone figure you what is the first flight? I had booked the first flight before they were withdrawn and would like to try again.

My vote for a new non-stop route is SEA-AUA (Aruba), bye-bye American.
HangryDad likes this.

Last edited by jsguyrus; Nov 18, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Alaska Airlines says it’s stressing safety as it prepares to acquire Boeing 737 Max planes

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...37-max-planes/
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Now can anyone figure you what is the first flight? I had booked the first flight before they were withdrawn and would like to try again.

That would be quite the haul

I'm guessing the inaugural fight will start in SEA

Is there a way to request to be on a delivery flight? That would be a bucket list item.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
delivery flight from BFI to SEA? maybe 12 minutes in the air
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
delivery flight from BFI to SEA? maybe 12 minutes in the air
6 miles could be covered a lot faster than that!
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: 75K, HH Diamond

lol literally JUST got back from Aruba a few weeks ago. It'd great to see AS get flights in there.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:15 pm

The range is more than the -800 and -900 now but just marginally more. It's not going to open a lot more - and probably not the Caribbean. The 321Neo has better range.
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by flytoeat
6 miles could be covered a lot faster than that!
taking off to the southeast at BFI and circling back to land to the south at SEA actually covers ~45 miles and takes ~12 min

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.