Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I was trying to find out when Alaska is taking first delivery of the Max in this thread but it wasn't clear except in the title. I see from browsing news reports that it is now planned for mid-2019? (Maybe another title update to the thread warranted).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I was trying to find out when Alaska is taking first delivery of the Max in this thread but it wasn't clear except in the title. I see from browsing news reports that it is now planned for mid-2019? (Maybe another title update to the thread warranted).
AS MAX9 inaugurals are currently scheduled for July 15th - AS312 (lv SEA 1100 arr 1400 LAX) and AS461 (lv LAX 1505 arr 1755 SEA)
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
AS MAX9 inaugurals are currently scheduled for July 15th - AS312 (lv SEA 1100 arr 1400 LAX) and AS461 (lv LAX 1505 arr 1755 SEA)
How/when does a passenger find out if a LAX-SEA flight taking place later during the month of July will switch equipment to MAX?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
How/when does a passenger find out if a LAX-SEA flight taking place later during the month of July will switch equipment to MAX?
When the schedule is updated to indicate the new equipment type. With only a few MAX 9s in the fleet as of this summer, aircraft will shift around quite a bit.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
That seems doubtful now, given comments from BofA that it could take 3 to 6 months for Boeing to have a fix.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by transportbiz
That seems doubtful now, given comments from BofA that it could take 3 to 6 months for Boeing to have a fix.
Or the end of April.

Boeing Jets May Be Grounded Through April Pending Software Fix
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
Assuming that this will fix the problems from both crashes. Since that process is only starting on the 2nd crash, it could be awhile.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I'm sure the fix will apply to the 2nd crash as well (assuming it was MCAS related as everyone seems to be doing now). I read some in AvWeek about what the fix entails. Once they have the data from the FDR, they should be able to have a good idea of what the computer logic was doing and if the fix would have prevented it. Proving it to the FAA is the long lead time.

Maybe Alaska can take some early deliveries then? I wonder if Boeing can get authorization to fly them out of Renton? News reports are wondering how much parking space they have there...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I wonder if Boeing can get authorization to fly them out of Renton? News reports are wondering how much parking space they have there...
Carriers were allowed to fly their planes back from outstations after the grounding was announced, so there's some allowance, though I'm not sure if the ban just doesn't apply to ferry flights or if they'll need FAA approval first.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I believe that Boeing has announced the holding back of all MAX deliveries until the fix is found and implemented.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:05 pm

How many is Alaska planning to get in 2019?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-max-9-448357/

It has cut 2019 deliveries in half to 12 aircraft - one Airbus A321neo, seven 737s and four Embraer 175s - from the 24 that were scheduled at the end of 2017.
Alaska has taken 3 737-900s in 2019. There is one remaining 737-900ER order left unfilled.

Boeing: Commercial

7-3-1=Three 737 Max 9s scheduled to be delivered in July and after for 2019.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Two 737 Max "Safety Options": Did AS Choose Them?

This NY Times article (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/business/boeing-safety-features-charge.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgty pe=Homepage) reports that certain safety features on Boeing's 737 Max aircraft are extra cost options:
  • Angle of attack indicator (which displays the readings of the two vanelike devices called angle of attack sensors that determine how much the plane’s nose is pointing up or down relative to oncoming air), and
  • A disagree light, is activated if those sensors are at odds with one another.
According to the article, AA added both safety features, Southwest has both safety features, and United passed because "the airline does not include the features because its pilots use other data to fly the plane."

"Incorporating the disagree light and the angle of attack indicators on all planes would be a welcome move, safety experts said, and would alert pilots — as well as maintenance staff who service a plane after a problematic flight — to issues with the sensors.

The alert, especially, would bring attention to a sensor malfunction, and warn pilots they should prepare to shut down the MCAS if it activated erroneously, said Peter Lemme, an avionics and satellite-communications consultant and former Boeing flight controls engineer.

“In the heat of the moment, it certainly would help,” he said."

So, Alaska, do your 737 Max 9 aircraft have these two safety options?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:46 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by dgreen12
This NY Times article (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/b...gtype=Homepage) reports that certain safety features on Boeing's 737 Max aircraft are extra cost options:
  • Angle of attack indicator (which displays the readings of the two vanelike devices called angle of attack sensors that determine how much the plane’s nose is pointing up or down relative to oncoming air), and
  • A disagree light, is activated if those sensors are at odds with one another.
According to the article, AA added both safety features, Southwest has both safety features, and United passed because "the airline does not include the features because its pilots use other data to fly the plane."

"Incorporating the disagree light and the angle of attack indicators on all planes would be a welcome move, safety experts said, and would alert pilots — as well as maintenance staff who service a plane after a problematic flight — to issues with the sensors.

The alert, especially, would bring attention to a sensor malfunction, and warn pilots they should prepare to shut down the MCAS if it activated erroneously, said Peter Lemme, an avionics and satellite-communications consultant and former Boeing flight controls engineer.

“In the heat of the moment, it certainly would help,” he said."

Indeed AS are you going pop for the $$$$$$, I suspect given the latest info this will become a huge BA money grab pie in the face and everyone gets a free upgrade with their software download, LOL
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by dgreen12
The current AS NGs don't have the AOA indicator on the PFDs. No clue if it shows on the HUD. I'd guess with the MAX 9s will have it on the PFD and HUD.

I believe American is the only airline that has the AOA indicator on all their Boeing planes. Not sure if Southwest is displaying it now on the PFDs, but it's on the HUDs for sure. Pilots love it from what I hear. Extra situational awareness is always good as they say...

And the "AOA Disagree" warning should be standard once Boeing gets the fix through.
JPat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.