Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt

Alaska Took Delivery of Another 737-900ER Today, Ship #N283AK - She had a crew of AS folks working on her outside the Maintenance Hangar at SEA tonight.
Beautiful. I flew aboard N280AK as AS12/09DEC SEABOS and aboard N277AK operating AS15/10DEC BOSSEA. I was struck by how much more comfortable the experience was aboard those new airplanes than on the older "739" equipment. Particularly the lighting and the HVAC system are much improved. Those flights were my first aboard a "739" where I felt relaxed and not stuffy. I have been way too warm on older 737-990ER aircraft, which seem to have problematic HVAC systems. And the lavatories on the new airplanes are very well designed. They are, indeed, the narrowest lavs I've been in but the layout is smart and the new faucets work very well.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bbinchi
Beautiful. I flew aboard N280AK as AS12/09DEC SEABOS and aboard N277AK operating AS15/10DEC BOSSEA. I was struck by how much more comfortable the experience was aboard those new airplanes than on the older "739" equipment. Particularly the lighting and the HVAC system are much improved. Those flights were my first aboard a "739" where I felt relaxed and not stuffy. I have been way too warm on older 737-990ER aircraft, which seem to have problematic HVAC systems. And the lavatories on the new airplanes are very well designed. They are, indeed, the narrowest lavs I've been in but the layout is smart and the new faucets work very well.
I miss the configuration of the 739 lavs that AS was the launch customer of...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Originally Posted by rustykettel
A bit narrower, but I could go for international PE configured domestic F.
No, it won't be PE on MAX8 or MAX9 aircraft. Only economy class and first class configured.
I think you misunderstood what was was being asked. It was not whether the plane would have PE, it was whether the first class seats on this plane could be more like the seats found in PE cabins on international planes (ie, more like the seats in the link). Ie, it was a question about the nature of the F seats, not about a PE cabin.

As to cabins, the plane will presumably have the same Premium Class subsection that other Alaska planes now have or are soon getting, but that's technically not a separate cabin:

Premium Class Discussion
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Will be interesting to see if AS talks publicly about the pilot training they'll be doing for the MAX, after today's very sad incident involving a second brand new MAX airplane...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Will be interesting to see if AS talks publicly about the pilot training they'll be doing for the MAX, after today's very sad incident involving a second brand new MAX airplane...
I was wondering that as well. This has got to have some impact on the timetable for AS to fully incorporate the Max-8s, I'd think.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by antebellum
Don't know whether is safe to fly on 737 MAX 8 now. Probably FAA is going to order all carriers to suspend the operation of this type until both Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines incident have completed investigation.
Probably one should wait to see facts, such as whether the incidents are correlated, before drawing such dramatic conclusions.

To to keep this discussion on topic, I have full confidence that AS (and other major airline crews) will not operate an unsafe aircraft. I don’t think Boeing will knowingly sell one, nor the FAA permit operation.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LWkitty
I was wondering that as well. This has got to have some impact on the timetable for AS to fully incorporate the Max-8s, I'd think.
Didn't Alaska switch all of those orders to Max-9s?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Didn't Alaska switch all of those orders to Max-9s?
Good catch. You are correct, they did.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
To be fair, that was almost 20 years ago now. A lot has changed for the better since then.
To be clear, I think AS is in a much better place now than they were then (in terms of safety culture). The more disturbing part of the 261 episode, however, was not that AS was cutting corners right and left at all levels (which it was). It's that this should have been obvious to the FAA, and they just turned a blind eye to it. I'm not so convinced that part has fundamentally changed.

As for Boeing, they're going to rate 57 (per month) on the MAX. That's more than double the production of all their other commercial aircraft models combined. They depend on that cash flow, so the only way they will consider a long stoppage or redesign of the aircraft is if they literally think there's a risk that this safety issue could bankrupt the entire company. I doubt it's at that point yet.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by milypan
To be clear, I think AS is in a much better place now than they were then (in terms of safety culture). The more disturbing part of the 261 episode, however, was not that AS was cutting corners right and left at all levels (which it was). It's that this should have been obvious to the FAA, and they just turned a blind eye to it. I'm not so convinced that part has fundamentally changed.

As for Boeing, they're going to rate 57 (per month) on the MAX. That's more than double the production of all their other commercial aircraft models combined. They depend on that cash flow, so the only way they will consider a long stoppage or redesign of the aircraft is if they literally think there's a risk that this safety issue could bankrupt the entire company. I doubt it's at that point yet.
How many new orders are they likely to get for Max 8 between now and the official reporting for these incidents? Could this effect other Max product? Lots of uncertainty on a very big ticket item. This is going to hurt.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Getting back on topic, AS currently has 32 MAX9s on order. Conveniently they also have 30 A320neos that, according to Wikipedia, were "transferred from Virgin America, but may be cancelled." So I suspect they're in a pretty good place regardless of what happens to the MAX, unless they have some big expansion plans that they've been playing close to the vest. Conveniently that would also allow them to maintain the "Proudly All-Boeing/Airbus/Embraer/Bombardier" fleet that AAG currently sports.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 11, 2019 at 4:32 pm Reason: Redact quote of deleted off-topic post.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Getting back on topic, AS currently has 32 MAX9s on order. Conveniently they also have 30 A320neos that, according to Wikipedia, were "transferred from Virgin America, but may be cancelled." So I suspect they're in a pretty good place regardless of what happens to the MAX, unless they have some big expansion plans that they've been playing close to the vest. Conveniently that would also allow them to maintain the "Proudly All-Boeing/Airbus/Embraer/Bombardier" fleet that AAG currently sports.
That's very true. From discussions I've had, I'm not convinced that they're planning to expand big, at least not unless a golden opportunity presents itself. Instead, I'd imagine that we'd see continued organic growth for the next 5-10 years. AS current orders seem to reflect that as well. They have some ability to sell orders to other carriers too, right?

Last edited by dayone; Mar 11, 2019 at 4:34 pm Reason: Redact partial quote of deleted off-topic post.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: This thread is an ongoing discussion of AS' addition of MAX aircraft. General comments about the recent MAX crash and MAX safety have been and will be deleted. Those comments may be posted on other FT threads discussing those topics.

dayone, AS Moderator.
icelandman2 likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 11, 2019 at 4:37 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Conveniently that would also allow them to maintain the "Proudly All-Boeing/Airbus/Embraer/Bombardier" fleet that AAG currently sports.
Since Airbus owns a large share of Bombardier and Boeing is soon to own a large share of Embraer, we can just say "Proudly all Boeing (and Airbus)". As they say, 100% of the time you will fly on a Boeing 50% of the time!
tusphotog likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Conveniently that would also allow them to maintain the "Proudly All-Boeing/Airbus/Embraer/Bombardier" fleet that AAG currently sports.
Hey, that's my signature!
milypan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.