Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CalanMan
Avoiding something with a greater-than-2% chance is harder than avoiding something with a less-than-1% chance.
Not necessarily. If that 2% never hit one's origin and destination while the 1% is fixed on flights one needs to take, then the broad percentages mean nothing. It is just the same as an airline that has a 98% on-time performance but the flights I was on were late 100% of the time--the 98% on-time percentage meant nothing to me. It also makes a difference where on many routes AS only has one or two flights a day so if the only options are scheduled with the max there are no other alternatives but to risk your life or fly another airline.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: Several more off-topic posts have been deleted. Please limit the discussion to AS-related developments and comments about the MAX.

Continued off-topic posting may warrant a warning.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old May 18, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Thumbs down INCREDIBLY tasteless

Originally Posted by milypan
I hope AS primarily operates the 7M9s out of SEA for the next couple years. It seems fair that BA employees should be the beta testers for the patched-up aircraft.
as many AS FTers may know, I spent 21 years at Boeing, three in Flight Test Engineering ... there are no doubt well over 100,000 current and former Boeing employees who have (or have had) absolutely nothing to do with any aspect of the 737 program, and imo it is more than tasteless and more than tacky for you to tar everyone with that same opinionated brush

Last edited by dayone; May 18, 2019 at 2:26 pm Reason: Discussed moderation.
Old May 18, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would expect the excellent pilots at AS will not get behind the controls of this aircraft until and unless they are confident that they aren't going to go down with the ship, and based upon same, I would be relatively confident in flying the aircraft when an AS pilot feels it safe to fly one. I also do not expect that the company will put pressure on its pilots to fly the aircraft unnecessarily. (1) I don't think AS would do this in the current climate, and even if it wanted to, (2) eventually it would result in very bad press.
AS Flyer and jinglish like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'll have no issues if I were to fly on the first AS MAX flight. It'll be the safest plane out there, and even before the software modifications the drive to the airport was magnitudes more dangerous, especially with US air crews flying the plane. Everything you do has risks involved, and I have faith in Alaska that they'll do what they can to minimize the risks when travelling with them.

Last edited by dayone; May 18, 2019 at 5:46 pm Reason: Remove quote of and reference to deleted off-topic post.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Alaska and most US/Canadian airlines actually REQUIRE their pilots know how to fly (Ethiopian first officer had barely 200 flight hours- even Hawaii's Mokulele won't hire someone with such few hours to fly a ***9 seat*** plane, let alone a 190 pax one). LionAir also hires first officers with as few as 150 hours. I think Alaska's lowest time pilot is at 4,000 hours.

Ill fly Max again, no problem. At least on a North American/Panamanian carrier.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Steering this thread back on topic, did AS take delivery of its first MAX? Where is it parked? Will it enter service with 2ku?
Old May 19, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Steering this thread back on topic, did AS take delivery of its first MAX? Where is it parked? Will it enter service with 2ku?
There is a post up thread showing the last -900 that was delivered. MAX deliveries were scheduled to start in July. If you want to be the first to see it, I'm guessing it will end up parked at PAE unless they are cleared to resume flying soon.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
they haven’t yet. It will have 2Ku
Old May 19, 2019, 2:50 pm

Will pilots get MCAS simulator training? Boeing is 100% opposed to any additional simulator training for MAX pilots.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by glob99
Will pilots get MCAS simulator training? Boeing is 100% opposed to any additional simulator training for MAX pilots.
Boeing did not propose to the FAA that simulator training he required. That’s quite a bit different of a position than your statement.

For what hat it is worth, simulator training is not required to move between Airbus variants or from the 737 Classic to NG. If the pilot has not previously been trained on the type, sim time is required. Pilots will also train in sims as part of their regular training.
jinglish likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Im told that Alaska won't accept delivery of the planes until the FAA restores the airworthiness certificates, which means no 3rd party installations.

So, Im not sure where the planes get wifi installed as I doubt its done by Boeing.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Im told that Alaska won't accept delivery of the planes until the FAA restores the airworthiness certificates, which means no 3rd party installations.
I don't understand. Can you elaborate?
Old May 20, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
So, Im not sure where the planes get wifi installed as I doubt its done by Boeing.
The 2ku retrofits are happening at MLB, but on the other hand, between N215AK's delivery and entry to service, there was no MLB detour, but it did stop at OKC. So my guess is that new installs are happening there instead of OKC. Or maybe it is line fit and that stop was for something else?

26 Mar 2019 Renton (RNT) - Everett (PAE) BOE329
28 Mar 2019 Seattle (BFI) - Everett (PAE) BOE329
28 Mar 2019 Seattle (BFI) - Everett (PAE) BOE329 Diverted to MWH
28 Mar 2019 Moses Lake (MWH) - Seattle (BFI) BOE329
31 Mar 2019 Seattle (BFI) - Seattle (SEA) AS9820 <-- Delivery
03 Apr 2019 Seattle (SEA) - Oklahoma City (OKC) AS9461
19 Apr 2019 Oklahoma City (OKC) - Seattle (SEA) AS9461
20 Apr 2019 Seattle (SEA) - Boston (BOS) AS12 <-- Entry to service
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:51 pm

It's not up to Alaska. Boeing isn't delivering any MAX's.

Originally Posted by CalanMan
The 2ku retrofits are happening at MLB, but on the other hand, between N215AK's delivery and entry to service, there was no MLB detour, but it did stop at OKC. So my guess is that new installs are happening there instead of OKC. Or maybe it is line fit and that stop was for something else?
2ku installs are being done in GSO, MLB and OKC, the majority in MLB.
CalanMan and jinglish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.