Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

strategies to change flight on day of flight?

Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I'm scheduled to fly PDX-SFO tonight, AS384. I would love to switch to a PDX-SJC flight also tonight, AS404. Doing so would net me probably two hours of sleep and save me a $75 taxi fare.

I don't remember why I didn't book AS404 in the first place - it may have been massively oversold - I don't remember. Is there any way to switch to that flight without spending an offensive amount of money?

Thank you!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
no, the same day change rules do not permit switching between SFO and SJC. you might consider trying to get on an earlier flight to SFO if your schedule permits that. i believe this would cost you $25 and you can call to implement the change up to 6 hours in advance. if you are MVPG or 75K, it's free and you can do it right now (or as of 10pm last night)

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...t-changes.aspx

to get on the SJC flight you'd be looking at paying the fare difference, which at this point would be astronomical, unless you can sweet talk an airport agent into bending the SDC rules which prohibit co-terminal changes.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
no, the same day change rules do not permit switching between SFO and SJC. you might consider trying to get on an earlier flight to SFO if your schedule permits that. i believe this would cost you $25 and you can call to implement the change up to 6 hours in advance. if you are MVPG or 75K, it's free and you can do it right now (or as of 10pm last night)

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...t-changes.aspx

to get on the SJC flight you'd be looking at paying the fare difference, which at this point would be astronomical, unless you can sweet talk an airport agent into bending the SDC rules which prohibit co-terminal changes.
The next earlier SFO flight is 3 hours earlier than my current flight - I don't think I can make that.

So you think my only chance would be talking to a gate agent at PDX?

Thanks for the help!!

edit: forgot to mention, I no longer have status with anybody.

Last edited by uoficowboy; Aug 30, 2015 at 9:39 am
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
The next earlier SFO flight is 3 hours earlier than my current flight - I don't think I can make that.

So you think my only chance would be talking to a gate agent at PDX?

Thanks for the help!!

edit: forgot to mention, I no longer have status with anybody.
Finding a way to make the earlier PDX-SFO flight is your only likely option.

Your realistic chance of success in switching to SJC without a change fee plus the fare difference is close to zero (although not zero literally). But there's no harm in asking at the airport - worst they can do is say no.

But they're probably going to say no. Sorry.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
SDC question

If I am on a 3-stop milkrun flight from Juneau to Seattle, can you same day change to a nonstop or 1-stop flight from Juneau to Seattle. I will pay $25 to avoid doing a milk run if that is allowed.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

As an update - I got delayed and only made it to the airport half an hour before the PDX-SJC flight that I wanted to transfer to. I spoke with a ticketing agent and she at first said she would but the flight was full, then realized there were two seats left and was about to call the gate to verify that she could move me to it, and then noticed I had a checked bag (for once) and told me it was too late.

So it seems, if you get a nice ticketing agent - they can do it for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.