Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MVP on AA Award flight - seating access?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:07 am
Original Poster

MVP on AA Award flight - seating access?

Wife and I are taking an award flight on AA in Y. I'm MVPG she's MVP. For various long winded reasons, we are flying on separate PNR, so she can't select the premium seats, but I can.

AS's site says that MVPs get at 50% discount on premium seats - anyone know if that applies to award tickets?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It should.

Based on previous FT discussions, there won't be a discount shown, (its apparent with a fake AA booking). This is assuming her MP# is entered in the reservation.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:01 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Try reaching out to AA's Twitter team - they might be able to assign her the seats for free if you explain the situation. (One time I was having problems checking in and they put me in Main Cabin Extra on both the outbound and return even though as an MVP I was only eligible on the outbound based on departure time)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Looks like you cannot buy MCE except on an AAnytine award and those are not bookable with AS miles.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Calling and explaining that you are traveling together may be the only real option. The only other option is to chance that there are 2 MCE seats together when the 24 hour complimentary window opens but that could be tough.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
It is possible to have traveling companions on separate PNRs assigned MCE seats, but it is very dependent on the agent. I have had the best luck when calling in about another issue and then asking if they wouldn't mind seating my family with me. Found it easier as an AA plat than as MVP gold, if a refusal is given politely end the call and try again another day...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
Looks like you cannot buy MCE except on an AAnytine award and those are not bookable with AS miles.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Calling and explaining that you are traveling together may be the only real option. The only other option is to chance that there are 2 MCE seats together when the 24 hour complimentary window opens but that could be tough.
More precisely, you can't pay for any premium seats when on an award ticket due to limitations of AA's systems, so premium seats are either available for free (AAnytime award, AA Plat or EXP/oneworld equivalents, or MVP Gold, and any elite or partner elite within 24 hours) or not available at all (no-status or MVP/AA Gold/oneworld Ruby on a partner or sAAver award).

I agree that the OP has a good chance if you call or use Twitter to ask your companion be seated with you based on your MVP Gold status. And the chances may not be so bleak at check in if AA elites are upgraded out of MCE.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Thanks for the education, seems there's a bit more for me to learn about AA.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and suggestions folks. I'll give AA a call shortly and see if begging and groveling works before pinging them via Twitter . .
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by snicko
Thanks for the info and suggestions folks. I'll give AA a call shortly and see if begging and groveling works before pinging them via Twitter . .
I'd try a Twitter direct message first if you're willing and able to use Twitter at all; this sort of simple request can be handled much more efficiently over Twitter. Also note the long thread in the AA forum about very hold wait times when calling AA of late.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

FWIW - Called in to AA desk and there was no hesitation - they moved us both into MCE.

Charged $25 for the seat change tho..
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by snicko
FWIW - Called in to AA desk and there was no hesitation - they moved us both into MCE.

Charged $25 for the seat change tho..
Yeah, that fee is for doing a seat assignment over the phone for a reservation not made through AA channels. Annoying, especially since it's for reservations not made through AA channels for which calling for a seat assignment is necessary. But glad it was no trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.