Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Which Seattle Chocolates bar served on Alaska Airlines is your favorite?
Edamame Sea Salt
32.58%
Agave Quinoa Sesame
4.49%
Cayenne Veracruz Orange
16.85%
Noble Dark
46.07%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

AS Chocolate Bar Preference (With Poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
AS Chocolate Bar Preference (With Poll)

A poster on Twitter claims to be a Gold flyer on Alaska Air, and recently reported that AS has been giving out this - in addition to free wine - as a complimentary gift to Gold members who are flying in coach:

I've never seen that brand anywhere on Alaska Air, and definitely not in coach. But then again, the past few years I haven't spent as much time in back of the curtain ...

In a tweet, I asked her about the snack. She claimed it was a complimentary gift, but my suspicions were raised further when 2 members of the AS social care team told me (via private message) that they haven't seen this - and weren't aware of any policy change.

Have you been served this brand as a complimentary Gold traveler snack while flying in coach? Or is that particular Twitter poster simply self-promoting, grandiose, full of hot air, or all of the above?

AMENDED: Apparently the poster was bragging about receiving *both* wine and chocolate. The bar reportedly is a new offering on select routes, to be offered if the complimentary beverage is declined in coach. FlyerTalkers are the *best* source of information!

Last edited by AKCuisine; Jun 19, 2015 at 12:54 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
I've received chocolates like that on three flights in coach in the last two weeks. All SEA↔SFO, if it's route specific.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
I saw it happen on SEA-PDX on Tuesday and I was super bummed that I got no chocolate.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Never knew about the chocolates until mid-April when I flew SEA-BWI in the back and declined the free alcoholic beverage. According to the FA, they offer the chocolates to MVPGs and 75Ks if they decline the free alcoholic beverage.

Have to say that the chocolate was rather tasty.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post24934616

See post #25 in above link. AS Flyer (an AS FA) mentions the chocolate bars.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

I give up the sauce occasionally and ahve always been offered a little chocolate instead. They're now offering a chocolate bar. I don't think they're supposed to do both. They probably had complaints from the non-drinkers that they didn't get anything of value. Both options are really nice gestures by the airline and pretty unique. Part of the booze laden culture out west

I usually save the candy since I don't always have a tooth brush and paste with me on a flight.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post24934616

See post #25 in above link. AS Flyer (an AS FA) mentions the chocolate bars.

Beautiful! Thank you, Wescoaster and all.

I missed that entire thread - all of the posts were made while I was away galvanting around the world to Paris on Emirates. FlyerTalk simply wasn't at the top of my mind while I was sipping Dom and nibbling caviar.

Other posters, thank you as well. I'm going to forward the relevant portions of the SeatJumpers thread to the AS Social Care Team so that they're also in the loop about the new chocolate offering!

Last edited by AKCuisine; Jun 19, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Here I am leaving Vatican City reading FT

No I haven't been offered one of those bars yet...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Golds & 75Ks: Have you seen this on any of your flights?

I concur- chocolate if declining alcohol, but not both.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My wife and I are both MVPG and we always turn down the alcoholic beverage, but have never been offered anything else...not even an extra bag of snack mix....lol.

Awhile back I emailed AS about the fact that a non-alcoholic option like a small snack item would be a nice gesture to offer Golds and 75Ks who for whatever reason, don't drink and therefore get nothing from this "benefit".
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I received the chocolate on TUS-PDX on 5/30. The flight was operated by Skywest. I did not get the chocolate on SEA-TUS on 6/6. I did get an extra one or two rum and cokes...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by catmndu
I received the chocolate on TUS-PDX on 5/30. The flight was operated by Skywest. I did not get the chocolate on SEA-TUS on 6/6. I did get an extra one or two rum and cokes...
It sounds like, in all honesty, especially since the AS Social Care team knew nothing about it, that this is not a policy change or something that Golds and 75Ks can expect when they decline the beverage. AS probably purchased a set number of these chocolate bars to give out at the FA's discretion in order to thank AS elites (in Y) for their business. It does represent extra work for the FA and if it's optional (not a policy), then I suspect many will either not feel they don't have the extra time or forget about it. I do agree that it's a nice gesture ^
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, United MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I got it a couple of weeks ago on Horizon BOI-PDX.
Nice touch!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I was on a flight KOA-SEA and a UM had a stack of about 5 of those chocolate bars (although a variety of flavors). At the time, I thought it was a weird candy choice to send with an 8-year-old, but now I'm guessing the crew gave it to her.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:54 pm

It seems inconsistent in my experience. I've gotten them twice (and, as a result, have tried both flavors), both times with a complimentary drink. So, as near as I can tell, the chocolate is not a substitute for the drink. It is good chocolate, by the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.