Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
…Gold Guest upgrade certificates cannot be applied to award tickets.
*PSA*
AS considers “Miles and Money” to be an award ticket, so you can’t “double-dip” with a GGU on a reservation where you use miles as partial payment

that said, this afternoon I was able to secure GGU space on a mid-Nov SEA-IAD redeye for $184
sea_jeff and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 6, 2023 at 11:02 pm
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
additionally, AS considers Miles and Money to be an award ticket, so you cant double-dip with a GGU on a reservation where you use miles as partial payment
That is a great point. Thanks for pointing that out. It is a scenario that I hadn't considered, nor crossed. Personally, for me, redeeming miles at a value that is, at most, 1 cpm is a non starter. You can get a lower than 1 cpm redemption value since the discount only covers the base fare. Fees & Taxes are still payable. Redeeming 10,000 miles on a $100 fare doesn't result in a $0.00 ticket.

James

I was able to upgrade 2 N class tickets SJO-LAX next February, about a month after I purchased. Subsequently, space opened up on the next leg LAX-SEA. I called in and got those upgraded, too, on the strength of the prior GGUs applied since it was a 4 hour or less connection.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 6, 2023 at 11:16 pm
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
If I SDC from a flight previously GGU'd, in order to preserve the upgrade is U space required on the new flight, or would they give me any open spot in the cabin? And if there is no availability one way or the other, will they return the GGU to me?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
If I SDC from a flight previously GGU'd, in order to preserve the upgrade is U space required on the new flight, or would they give me any open spot in the cabin? And if there is no availability one way or the other, will they return the GGU to me?
Im not 100% sure but last year when I tried this U space was required OR they just put me on the regular upgrade list which if you are doing SDC it is likely F is already full (unless they are waiting for very last minute gate upgrading). If you change a flight like SDC or any other change you can contact customer care and get replacement GGU.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Odd GGU experience: I have a friend on a red-eye from SFO-JKF that is four days. I offered to see if there was U space for a GGU and to my surprise there were 5 this close in. So I applied it, and then went to check the route in ExpertFlyer and it went down to U0. Seat map shows same open seats, so I don't think I kicked the Professor in the pants to upgrade others. (It was T-80 hours when I applied it.) Still a fair bit of U space on the next flight too for Tuesday night.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Just used one on SEA-HNL later this month. Not a cheap ticket given approaching the holidays, but nice at least to be able to use a GGU.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
Odd GGU experience: I have a friend on a red-eye from SFO-JKF that is four days. I offered to see if there was U space for a GGU and to my surprise there were 5 this close in. So I applied it, and then went to check the route in ExpertFlyer and it went down to U0. Seat map shows same open seats, so I don't think I kicked the Professor in the pants to upgrade others. (It was T-80 hours when I applied it.) Still a fair bit of U space on the next flight too for Tuesday night.
This is normal...I mentioned it in a thread awhile back and it's pretty annoying because if you try to use a GGU to upgrade two passengers on separate reservations when U=2 or higher, all the U space will disappear as soon as the first passenger gets upgraded....not sure if its a technical glitch or intentional, but its been working like this for a long time now.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This is normal...I mentioned it in a thread awhile back and it's pretty annoying because if you try to use a GGU to upgrade two passengers on separate reservations when U=2 or higher, all the U space will disappear as soon as the first passenger gets upgraded....not sure if its a technical glitch or intentional, but its been working like this for a long time now.
Is it official policy that if U space is open at 80 hours that 75k/100ks should be upgraded? I know effectively it doesn't work that way which is why you should always be monitoring it.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Is it official policy that if U space is open at 80 hours that 75k/100ks should be upgraded? I know effectively it doesn't work that way which is why you should always be monitoring it.
If upgrade space is available within an upgrade window, AS should be processing the upgrade waitlist; however, in practice this may not always happen because the system is infamously broken. This failure point leads to pax bypassing the waitlist (eg applying a GGU; purchasing a new ticket thats a qualifying fare usually results in an immediate upgrade; or, if within T-24 simply checking in may work) or leaving J open for pax to perform legitimate functions such as to change flights, upfare etc.

AS loves to quote the website as policy when it it is in their favor; however, youll notice that for this particular topic AS falls short because it is clear what the policy is and that AS doesnt follow it.

Originally Posted by Alaska Airlines
Once within the upgrade window above, if an upgrade is available for your flight, you will be upgraded immediately.
pcoll and TalkingPoint like this.

Last edited by anteater; Dec 11, 2023 at 10:17 am
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: Alaska
Was able to use 4 certs for round trip flight for two from TPA to LAX for Xmas travel.. feel almost too lucky
Bellerina likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Today's SEA-BOS concludes my fifth (incl. one gifted) GGU usage in 2023, all on transcons (SFO/BOS and SEA-BOS).
sea_jeff, samosa and Bellerina like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, AC, BA, UA
Expected to find the answer in this thread or somewhere in flyertalk but couldn't find it. I qualified for MVPG for the first time in 2023 and got 4 MVPG Guest Upgrade codes when I qualified. I expected to see 4 more on Jan. 1 (or thereabouts) for 2024 but I haven't yet. Do I just have to be more patient and is my expectation correct that I'll receive 4 more very soon and then get 4 more at the beginning of every calendar year I remain MVPG? Or do they do it based on first qualifying date and I won't see any more until I hit the date I originally qualified?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by newbie_flyer
Expected to find the answer in this thread or somewhere in flyertalk but couldn't find it. I qualified for MVPG for the first time in 2023 and got 4 MVPG Guest Upgrade codes when I qualified. I expected to see 4 more on Jan. 1 (or thereabouts) for 2024 but I haven't yet. Do I just have to be more patient and is my expectation correct that I'll receive 4 more very soon and then get 4 more at the beginning of every calendar year I remain MVPG? Or do they do it based on first qualifying date and I won't see any more until I hit the date I originally qualified?
Each time you qualify you get 4 and thats it until the next qualifying year and you hit it again and you get again.
newbie_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by newbie_flyer
You'll get 4 more when you RE-qualify MVPG.
Kathy_marie likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Despite the current MAX9 debacle, AS released GGUs today for KOA-SAN nonstop in late April - which is now a redeye.

Optimistic the current challenges will be resolved between now and then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.