Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Did you bother to search?
Yes, searched, but did not find anything except maybe there connection of >4 hours will require additional GGU.

Care to help?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
For a start, have a look here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...tificates.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-strategy.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-segments.html
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by pchen0
1. Can GGU be applied to any economy fare? Instead of hoping at -72hr for my upgrade to clear (if I purchased non-qualifying fare) I can apply one GGU for one-way upgrade right after ticket purchase? K fare or above.
2. How do I know when booking that my flight can be upgraded using GGU? K fare or above.
3. Can GGUs be used anywhere AS flies? Including Caribbean and Hawaii? Yes, on AS metal.
4. If I choose a flight with connection, will I need one GGU for each segment? No, as long as the connection does not exceed four hours.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:55 pm

Thank you!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-upgrades.aspx

I found this by searching for "alaska airlines gold guest upgrade" on Bing.

Neil
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:59 pm

Thank you!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:18 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pchen0
Hi,
New to MVP Gold and have questions on how to use my 4 GGU certificates as AS website is not too clear.

1. Can GGU be applied to any economy fare? Instead of hoping at -72hr for my upgrade to clear (if I purchased non-qualifying fare) I can apply one GGU for one-way upgrade right after ticket purchase?
2. How do I know when booking that my flight can be upgraded using GGU?
3. Can GGUs be used anywhere AS flies? Including Caribbean and Hawaii?
4. If I choose a flight with connection, will I need one GGU for each segment?

Thank you so much!
dayone already provided some good answers, but I'll clarify item 1 and 2.

K fares and above can be upgraded using a Gold Guest Upgrade, however an upgrade may not be available at the time of purchase. (There must be upgrade inventory, similar to award inventory.) You can still purchase an eligible fare and upgrade later if inventory becomes available.

To purchase an eligible fare AND check for upgrade inventory, go to the home page, click the link for "All search options" and then select "MVP Gold Guest" from the "Upgrade type" menu.

A white "F" means there is no upgrade available at that time. A blue "F" means there is an upgrade available.

Prices for an upgrade eligible fare are shown in the middle column for "First Class Upgrade." The column to the left, "Main Cabin" shows the cheapest economy class fare. Sometimes it's the same price (the cheapest fare is also an eligible fare) and sometimes it is different (you have to pay a little extra to buy an eligible fare).
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
GGU Question

I'm booked on a flight to Hawaii with my wife tomorrow and used my GGU's. When I booked the flight, F was almost full. Now there are three seats open and no one on the wait list (can't remember the last time I saw that). Should I change my ticket back to economy, get my upgrade certs back and then go on the upgrade list? Is this even allowed?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Deleted.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ffman999
I'm booked on a flight to Hawaii with my wife tomorrow and used my GGU's. When I booked the flight, F was almost full. Now there are three seats open and no one on the wait list (can't remember the last time I saw that). Should I change my ticket back to economy, get my upgrade certs back and then go on the upgrade list? Is this even allowed?
No, it is not allowed.
Under Guest Upgrade rules:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-upgrades.aspx

Guest upgrades may not be used as a placeholder for a complimentary upgrade by an elite level member. Once a guest upgrade has been processed, you may not remove it in order to be placed on the upgrade waitlist, or receive a complimentary upgrade based on elite level.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Keep in mind pax are not on the WL until they check in.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
with as poorly as complimentary upgrades are working right now, that would be a dubious strategy even if it was permissible.

GGU's are free and worth essentially nothing except a bigger seat, so you might as well just enjoy the flight and know that you didn't have to spend any time worrying about whether your upgrade would come through or not. also, you should be fortunate you found advanced U space as that is also fairly rare these days it seems.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
GGU question

When will I receive GGU's if I hit MVPG this September? Will I get them this year as well as 2018?

Thanks
Old May 7, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
You receive them when you earn them (Qualify) and I don't believe you get a second round when the calendar rolls over .
Old May 7, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
You receive them when you earn them (Qualify) and I don't believe you get a second round when the calendar rolls over .
Correct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.