Change fee question...

Old Jun 30, 15, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Change fee question...

I don't have any status with AS. I'm trying to book a vacation with a friend for late October. Totally out of the blue this week some decent fare sales from PSC-LAX came up. (PSC rarely sees deals) I think I have about 50 more minutes to book but my friend and I haven't been able to nail dates down for sure yet.

As long as I change my booking before 60 days of my travel date (we should firm up dates within a week) do I have to pay any change fee? Or just the difference in what this fare was and the current fare offered? The big question is that if we DO change dates I'll probably change from LAX to BUR since I like flying into BUR more but LAX has the fare sales right now... Can you change to a different day and airport without fees?
Old Jun 30, 15, 1:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
I don't have any status with AS. I'm trying to book a vacation with a friend for late October. Totally out of the blue this week some decent fare sales from PSC-LAX came up. (PSC rarely sees deals) I think I have about 50 more minutes to book but my friend and I haven't been able to nail dates down for sure yet.

As long as I change my booking before 60 days of my travel date (we should firm up dates within a week) do I have to pay any change fee? Or just the difference in what this fare was and the current fare offered? The big question is that if we DO change dates I'll probably change from LAX to BUR since I like flying into BUR more but LAX has the fare sales right now... Can you change to a different day and airport without fees?
You will have 24 hours from booking to cancel with no penalty. After that, you'll be subject to a $125 change fee per person on the reservation.
Old Jun 30, 15, 2:16 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Within 24 hours you can cancel for a full refund.

60+ days from departure there are no change fees, and you can use the money already paid towards another ticket. Does not have to be the same origin/destination. You do pay the fare difference, which could be a refund in the form of AS credit if the fare is lower. Within 60 days there is $125 change fee.

Book now, think later
Old Jun 30, 15, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaeagle View Post

60+ days from departure there are no change fees, and you can use the money already paid towards another ticket. Does not have to be the same origin/destination. You do pay the fare difference, which could be a refund in the form of AS credit if the fare is lower. Within 60 days there is $125 change fee.

Book now, think later
AWESOME. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if it was only same city pairs but different flights. That works for me and I already booked it banking on knowing your advice before the 24 hr full refund was up
Old Jun 30, 15, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by alphaeagle View Post

Book now, think later
Well I'll be, I learned something new today. I had no idea about this, I thought the 60 day rule was only for award fares. Good stuff!
Old Jun 30, 15, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Sounder View Post
Well I'll be, I learned something new today. I had no idea about this, I thought the 60 day rule was only for award fares. Good stuff!
Nope, both revenue and award. It was given as a consolation prize when the change fee went from $75 to $125
Old Dec 17, 16, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just used the 60+ day feature (had to cancel due to college schedule change). Got the full value of my flight airfare deposited in "My Wallet".
Old Dec 17, 16, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
and for MVPG and 75K, there are no change or cancel fees at all. this is a huge reason for me to remain faithful to AS even though i don't like some of the recent changes. a very generous benefit relative to the other airlines.
Old May 31, 17, 7:27 pm

Cancel ticket 60 days before departure for free?

Just read this policy:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ices-fees.aspx

It seems cancelling before 60 days is actually free? Never heard of that. In that case, the 24 hours cancellation policy is only useful for tickets within 60 days, right? It is indeed a good policy. Next time I can book tickets without hesitations!
Old May 31, 17, 7:43 pm

Programs: United, Alaska
It is a great policy, but keep in mind that if your ticket is nonrefundable you get Alaska credit back, not cash.

And inside of 60 days there is Alaska's Low Price Guarantee so if the fare you bought goes down you can get an Alaska credit for the difference.

These are both policies to stay competitive with Southwest. It's actually sort of remarkable that people willingly book tickets with anyone other than Alaska and Southwest.

Last edited by PDXpress; May 31, 17 at 7:55 pm
Old May 31, 17, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See this thread for some discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...30-2013-a.html

[Mod note: New discussion merged into existing thread. dayone AS/VX Moderator]

Last edited by dayone; May 31, 17 at 11:43 pm Reason: Remove circular link.
Old May 31, 17, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by PDXpress View Post
It is a great policy, but keep in mind that if your ticket is nonrefundable you get Alaska credit back, not cash
Just to clarify, cancellations within 24 hours of books go back to the original form of payment.
Old May 31, 17, 8:08 pm

Wallet money is fine. I can use them up without any problem. I know the baggage policy and LFG policy but this one is new to me. Really awesome. If I knew this one week earlier, I could save 5K miles and $11...

Originally Posted by PDXpress View Post
It is a great policy, but keep in mind that if your ticket is nonrefundable you get Alaska credit back, not cash.

And inside of 60 days there is Alaska's Low Price Guarantee so if the fare you bought goes down you can get an Alaska credit for the difference.

These are both policies to stay competitive with Southwest. It's actually sort of remarkable that people willingly book tickets with anyone other than Alaska and Southwest.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: