British Airways POUG miles

Old Jun 28, 15, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k
British Airways POUG miles

Does anyone have any experience with miles posting from BA after a online upgrade offer is taken?

I am booked into WT (LAX-LHR) and received an offer for WT+. The website says BAEC avios will be earned for the higher class of service, but I am not sure what this translates to for AS (Will I receive 100% instead of 25%?).

The website doesn't list which fare code it will be booked into. Threads on the BAEC forum seem to report a mix of W,E,T, and U.

AAdvantage members report receiving full credit after calling, but I realize this is different for AS.

Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 17, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Did you end up taking the POUG/did it credit or does anyone else have experience with this?

I have an upcoming flight (crediting to AS) originally booked in T. After a POUG from WT+ to CW, BA lists it as U. Is there a chance this will credit as I class without a hassle or did I just get unlucky with the reissued ticket's class?
Old Feb 16, 17, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
I can't corroborate on online upgrade offers.
But each time I've inquired about a paid upgrade at the airport and successfully booked, I've received the RDM and EQM of the upgraded cabin. (Crediting to AS, not Avios.)
Most recently earlier this month on J to F.
Old Feb 17, 17, 1:23 am

Programs: AC25K, AS MVP, WS Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, DL,BA,KE
You can leave your FFP# blank and send your BP to AS when you finish your flight. They will credit you the miles base on your fare class on your BP.
Old Jul 31, 21, 8:23 pm

Sorry for the bump, has anyone tried this from Y to WTP and successfully credit it to Alaska? I posted a similar question in the BA forum and they said the ticket would be booked in to P class which is a reward booking class.
Old Jul 31, 21, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta View Post
Sorry for the bump, has anyone tried this from Y to WTP and successfully credit it to Alaska? I posted a similar question in the BA forum and they said the ticket would be booked in to P class which is a reward booking class.
At least one person has reported receiving miles from AS that reflected the upgraded class after a paid airport upgrade (AUP):
BA U Class Miles on AS?
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Jul 31, 21, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

POUG = Proactive Online Upgrade.
HangryDad likes this.
Old Aug 1, 21, 10:31 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
It's not BA, but I just received their highest class for AS mileage credit (150% EQM & 250% RDM), after bidding on a POUG from Y to J from IcelandAir's 'Class Up' preflight email.

I am happy with the outcome, but when I asked AS for clarification, I received this reply yesterday from the AS agent who processed my mileage request:

"July 30, 2021
Dear Mark,
Mileage Plan miles are credited per our partnership with the airline partner using the class of service on the itinerary receipt. Although boarding passes are used to confirm travel, we cannot use the class of service information from the boarding pass directly. If there was a change in the class of service for your itinerary, please send our team a copy of your updated itinerary receipt so we can make changes..."

In contrast to AS' statement above, I still received the highest fare class miles, even though I only submitted my original Y-class itinerary receipt with my boarding pass for mileage credit.
FI never sent me any email confirmation after bidding or receiving an upgrade. So AS either went by my boarding pass (which showed the upgraded J class) or was able to see the upgrade reflected in my booking reference/ticket#.

Based on this, I would add your AS MP# into the BA reservation and hope it processes automatically (as BA did for the other upgraded FTers in the linked thread above). If that doesn't work, then you can submit for AS for mileage credit. But I would screenshot your upgrade's payment confirmation page, just in case you need a receipt for show the class of service change.

Either way, hope you're able to get WTP-level miles for your BA Y ticket!
NoLaGent likes this.

Last edited by mixmastermark; Aug 1, 21 at 10:47 am
Old Aug 1, 21, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mixmastermark View Post
It's not BA, but I just received their highest class for AS mileage credit (150% EQM & 250% RDM), after bidding on a POUG from Y to J from IcelandAir's 'Class Up' preflight email.

I am happy with the outcome, but when I asked AS for clarification, I received this reply yesterday from the AS agent who processed my mileage request:

"July 30, 2021
Dear Mark,
Mileage Plan miles are credited per our partnership with the airline partner using the class of service on the itinerary receipt. Although boarding passes are used to confirm travel, we cannot use the class of service information from the boarding pass directly. If there was a change in the class of service for your itinerary, please send our team a copy of your updated itinerary receipt so we can make changes..."

In contrast to AS' statement above, I still received the highest fare class miles, even though I only submitted my original Y-class itinerary receipt with my boarding pass for mileage credit.
FI never sent me any email confirmation after bidding or receiving an upgrade. So AS either went by my boarding pass (which showed the upgraded J class) or was able to see the upgrade reflected in my booking reference/ticket#.

Hope you're able to get WTP-level miles for your BA Y ticket!
This is correct. BA regards some upgrades as a kind of revenue fare, even though you may appear to be upgraded to a non-earning fare class. This is evidenced by looking at the higher tier points that BA will give you if you were crediting to their own program.

Didnt realize that Iceland did something similar.
Old Sep 18, 21, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
At least one person has reported receiving miles from AS that reflected the upgraded class after a paid airport upgrade (AUP):
BA U Class Miles on AS?
Based on this thread as well as the quoted linked thread, it appears one could expect to get eqms as if one purchased the upgraded class.

What I'm not seeing good (anecdotal) evidence of: which bracket of the upgraded fare (for business class Alaska credits BA R/I at 150%, and J/C/D at 250% eqms, respectively). Likewise, first gets 250% or 300% depending on the fare. Can anybody shed light on this?

Last edited by jnagar; Sep 18, 21 at 1:14 am
Old Sep 18, 21, 9:44 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jnagar View Post
Based on this thread as well as the quoted linked thread, it appears one could expect to get eqms as if one purchased the upgraded class.

What I'm not seeing good (anecdotal) evidence of: which bracket of the upgraded fare (for business class Alaska credits BA R/I at 150%, and J/C/D at 250% eqms, respectively). Likewise, first gets 250% or 300% depending on the fare. Can anybody shed light on this?
My only experience is with upgrading from CW to First, and it has always been mileage based on A class (250% EQM). Best to assume the lower bracket when upgrading to business class, as well.
Old Sep 18, 21, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
My only experience is with upgrading from CW to First, and it has always been mileage based on A class (250% EQM). Best to assume the lower bracket when upgrading to business class, as well.
That makes sense, thanks. I'll see if I come up with any data points to add to this conversation, as soon as my friend's miles post...

Search this Thread