Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

My account got shut down after getting the sign-up bonus?

Old Jun 15, 15, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I recently jumped in the BOA alaska offer which grants you 25K miles after the first use. I applied for 4 cards at a time, as the bloggers suggested. All got approved. I got the 25K*4=100K miles in 1 week after the approval.

I wanted to redeem the miles for myself. So I called the reservation center, and was told there is a lock on my account. Strange. So I called the customer care to figure out why my account got locked. The representative I talked to said I need to send in the US-ID for verification of the address. I did, thinking that it may be just a regular verification process.

And today I received an email saying that my account has been closed. No reason given except saying that they have the right to terminate the service. Anyone have the same experience recently? Can I fight for that? I didn't realize which part went wrong. Maybe they just don't like MSer......
Old Jun 15, 15, 10:00 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
A warning to those who are applying for multiple AS CCs on the same day...

Others have had their accounts closed/frozen for transferring large numbers of SPG points and/or redeeming awards for other people:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...brokering.html
Old Jun 15, 15, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre
4 credit cards in one day? Not surprised that didn't pass their fraud alert algorithms.
Old Jun 15, 15, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Earendel View Post
4 credit cards in one day? Not surprised that didn't pass their fraud alert algorithms.
"Why are you arresting me, officer? All I'm doing is robbing a bank. A blogger told me I could."
Old Jun 15, 15, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by pmblinn View Post
"Why are you arresting me, officer? All I'm doing is robbing a bank. A blogger told me I could."
"Pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered".
Old Jun 15, 15, 10:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BruceLeeWSN View Post
as the bloggers suggested
What could possibly go wrong?
Old Jun 15, 15, 10:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
What could possibly go wrong?
At least it's guaranteed to never, never, never, never ruin it for the ones not trying to abuse it...
Old Jun 15, 15, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Brrrr.... Pretty chilly in here....
Old Jun 15, 15, 11:44 pm

CFPB complaint! Next time don't over do this
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:31 am

I dont get the hostility - AS sold the miles to BoA and from that point on it's irrelevant whether 10 ppl get one card or one person gets 10 - its BoA business...

Selling the miles to boa then suspending the account of boa customer seem borderline fraudulent to me unless there is more to that story.

This has nothing to do with "pigs get slaughtered" which would be relevant if boa were to do blacklisting...
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
I dont get the hostility - AS sold the miles to BoA and from that point on it's irrelevant whether 10 ppl get one card or one person gets 10 - its BoA business...
Indeed. While I am not a fan of credit card bloggers and their schemes, I see no justification for AS here. What's next - credit too many flights on a partner in a short period to AS and get your account killed?
Old Jun 16, 15, 9:05 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
unless there is more to that story
Rule #1 for an account lock is there is always more to the story than what is shared.

A fraud trigger could have been for an "overly" active new account, similar account name, questionable address, re-enrollment, multiple awards claimed for unrelated parties, large/frequent transfers, etc.

It's also important to remember that BofA and AS share some fraud detections with each other.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 16, 15 at 9:37 am Reason: Typo.
Old Jun 16, 15, 9:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Indeed. While I am not a fan of credit card bloggers and their schemes, I see no justification for AS here. What's next - credit too many flights on a partner in a short period to AS and get your account killed?
Fraud by applying for credit cards that give bonuses without any spending is a legitimate thing they should be concerned about, and I'm glad Alaska is keeping an eye on it.

Your slippery slope argument is valid only if you can explain how someone could commit real fraud by crediting partner flights. You know, where the name has to match and someone has to take the time to actually fly on an airplane.
Old Jun 16, 15, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
when people do stupid greedy stuff like this it ruins it for every one. I'm sure its just a matter of time before it becomes a once in a lifetime bonus.
Old Jun 16, 15, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jchilders View Post
Fraud by applying for credit cards that give bonuses without any spending is a legitimate thing they should be concerned about, and I'm glad Alaska is keeping an eye on it.
Can you explain how applying for four credit cards is fraud?

Did BofA close the OP's credit card accounts?

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jun 16, 15 at 9:29 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: