Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

My account got shut down after getting the sign-up bonus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My account got shut down after getting the sign-up bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
It troubles me tremendously.

If, and it's a big if, these stories are to be believed, then then someone engaged in perfectly allowed behavior under the terms of the contract. Possibly greedy behavior, but not prohibited. If AS wanted to limit to 1 CC sign up bonus in a year, then they could easily add such a restriction. Quite to the contrary, I've recently had several FAs tell me things along the lines of "You can open one for you and one for your business" -- I've heard a uniformed member of AS staff advocate opening at least two at the same time.

And yet we're okay when AS arbitrarily and capriciously closes an account for 4?
Fairly sure BoA has a personal AS card and a business AS card?

A bit different from getting 4 AS personal cards. Heck I was reading a thread on Dan's Deals where people were getting shut down because they signed up for 5+ AS cards with the $100 statement credit each manufacturing spending, then cancelling the card to get the $75 Annual Fee refunded on top.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by crimsona
Fairly sure BoA has a personal AS card and a business AS card?

A bit different from getting 4 AS personal cards. Heck I was reading a thread on Dan's Deals where people were getting shut down because they signed up for 5+ AS cards with the $100 statement credit each manufacturing spending, then cancelling the card to get the $75 Annual Fee refunded on top.
I Just found the DD thread, I guess the AS rep is reading this thread but that is not a shock. Churning and Mistake fares have gone way too mainstream. What AS says makes sense. Especially those that aren't paying the annual fee shouldn't get to keep the miles

AS rep - "It is because you are churning a lot credit cards, and i'm well aware of how that works, as i follow FlyerTalk myself, especially the last 3 weeks when everyone is talking about AS shut downs, and in our point of view - churning credit cards and not paying the annual fees is fraud."

Last edited by CDKing; Jul 2, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
It troubles me tremendously.

If, and it's a big if, these stories are to be believed, then then someone engaged in perfectly allowed behavior under the terms of the contract. Possibly greedy behavior, but not prohibited. If AS wanted to limit to 1 CC sign up bonus in a year, then they could easily add such a restriction. Quite to the contrary, I've recently had several FAs tell me things along the lines of "You can open one for you and one for your business" -- I've heard a uniformed member of AS staff advocate opening at least two at the same time.

And yet we're okay when AS arbitrarily and capriciously closes an account for 4?

As others have said, AS may impose (nearly) any restriction it likes on it's FF program, but it must then abide by it. And a "or anything else we want to do clause" is *not* an unlimited license to break the contract.
You're getting one side of the story on a mostly anonymous message board.
If you're on the up and up (like I am) there is nothing to sweat.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apodo77
You're getting one side of the story on a mostly anonymous message board.
If you're on the up and up (like I am) there is nothing to sweat.
Sounds like pocketing the miles and cancelling without paying the annual fee may be the issue here.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Quote:

AS rep - "It is because you are churning a lot credit cards, and i'm well aware of how that works, as i follow FlyerTalk myself, especially the last 3 weeks when everyone is talking about AS shut downs, and in our point of view - churning credit cards and not paying the annual fees is fraud."

Is that an official statement from an official AS representative authorized to speak for AS?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Quote:

Is that an official statement from an official AS representative authorized to speak for AS?
Its just what someone posted on DD allegedly quoting how their conversation went with whoever was reviewing their case. Its hearsay since its posted on an anonymous message board. It could be completely fabricated
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Why parse the truth? Signing up for a credit card and collecting its benefits, with the intent to not pay its fee is fraud.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its just what someone posted on DD allegedly quoting how their conversation went with whoever was reviewing their case. Its hearsay since its posted on an anonymous message board. It could be completely fabricated
But it does correspond with another anecdote in this thread, where they said they would reopen his account, but if they learned that he didn't pay the annual fee(s) on the card(s), it would be closed again.

$75 for 25k miles is still a huge bargain at 0.3 cpm. It's a little scary when people are so greedy that they think they should get the miles for free... "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dayone
Why parse the truth? Signing up for a credit card and collecting its benefits, with the intent to not pay its fee is fraud.
I am not parsing anything.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I am not parsing anything.
Of course you're not.

official [...] official [...] authorized

Last edited by dayone; Jul 2, 2015 at 6:09 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: MVPG,AA Lifetime Gold
when people do stupid greedy stuff like this it ruins it for every one. I'm sure its just a matter of time before it becomes a once in a lifetime bonus.
It's my understanding that BOA buys the miles from Alaska as an inducement to apply for the card. If a person applies for, and is granted the card(s) it should be no skin off Alaska Airlines. They get all the skin they need from their Alaska in-state (Alaska) airfares. So, I think there must be more to the story.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by javelina
It's my understanding that BOA buys the miles from Alaska as an inducement to apply for the card. If a person applies for, and is granted the card(s) it should be no skin off Alaska Airlines. They get all the skin they need from their Alaska in-state (Alaska) airfares. So, I think there must be more to the story.
Considering AS leaves -- or used to leave -- those little notes on our meal trays with a semi-religious aphorism, it doesn't strike me as unusual that it has taken the position it has in these matters of questionable ethics by those who wish to participate in its FF program. The OP has attempted a scam and was caught by AS. Yes, it does show a lax approval process by BoA which should have recognized the duplication. Still, AS owns the FF program and has the right to set standards on who it allows to be a member.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by javelina
Given the comments on not paying the annual fee and no first year waiver (statement credit instead), BoA must have a clawback clause where they do not reimburse AS for the miles if the AF is not paid (but in the consumer's case, they already got the miles)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Of course you're not.
Look, believe it or not, I just would like to know if AS made an official statement.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for clarifying. I had read it originally as an AS rep (or, I suppose, someone posing as one) posting that message on another forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.