Wiki Posts
Search

Seatjumpers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Seatjumpers

Kudos to the crew on Alaska 455 this morning - LAX to SEA. Had quite a few seats open in the overwings (exit row) and 2 people (at different times) tried to occupy those seats before pushback. Both FAs were very FIRM but polite in explaining they had to pay or be MVP or higher to sit there, and that they needed to return to their seats.

They did it with much better finesse than I've seen on AA or DL.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite
That's good to hear. I was wondering if people might try to poach premium seats after door closure to get the legroom and free drink.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Don't forget to send the kudos in via www.alaskalistens.com. This is exactly the kind of good stuff they need to hear!

Neil
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
the FAs appear to have the same devices American has where it shows the seat map, list of uber top tier FFs, etc. I noticed one had that instead of the normal paperwork while slinging liquor this morning.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I wonder if the handheld devices will be programmed to allow them to sell the open seats onboard like on UA? Usually when I have row of 3 open, first thing I do when I see that its light, I don't fully settle in and I sit in the middle seat.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, Marriott Gold, SPG
Not completely the same topic, but flew in the exit row, 17, as it is my first choice but last Friday was my first time doing so since they have become preferred plus. I did get comped a drink and I'm just MVP. It made me wonder whether they will be able to designate between those who paid for preferred and those just MVPs.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:19 pm

I was on an AS flight recently where they moved someone from the back of the plane to row 17 right next to me because it was empty and he was tall.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I was on an AS flight recently where they moved someone from the back of the plane to row 17 right next to me because it was empty and he was tall.
After they started to charge for Exit Row seats or before? I wish more FAs were like the ones that were on the OP's flight. I've had flights with AA and AS, where people would move from the back to the front, even to the middle seats. Really annoying when I would've had an empty middle...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:15 pm

Just to be clear, so that other FA's in the same position aren't assumed to be bad FA's, the FA's are not supposed to "police" who sits in those seats. If someone moves to one of those seats after boarding is finished or during flight the FA is not supposed to ask them to move. That said, if someone sits in the exit row seats that did not pay, they won't be reflected on the seating chart and will not get the free drink or will not have gotten priority boarding. Probably not a perfect system but the FA's mentioned in this post actually went against the policy.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Just to be clear, so that other FA's in the same position aren't assumed to be bad FA's, the FA's are not supposed to "police" who sits in those seats. If someone moves to one of those seats after boarding is finished or during flight the FA is not supposed to ask them to move. That said, if someone sits in the exit row seats that did not pay, they won't be reflected on the seating chart and will not get the free drink or will not have gotten priority boarding. Probably not a perfect system but the FA's mentioned in this post actually went against the policy.
And just to be clear, I can still trade my free drink for the hash browns (aka potatoes O'Brian)....assuming you're working the flight, correct??
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I think most of the FA's are just going to assume everyone in those rows are supposed to be there.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:34 am

I hope that is incorrect.

Given that the exit row comes with special responsibilities which must be agreed to during check in as well as before take off, I don't want anybody grabing and exit row seat who may not speak english (and thus cannot take instructions from flight personnel in an emergency), is unable to assist the flight crew during an emergency, or is otherwise unprepared to help.

Exit row is special and should remain such.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Good on them! Hopefully AS is small enough that the training sticks and all FA's protect premium seats.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
And just to be clear, I can still trade my free drink for the hash browns (aka potatoes O'Brian)....assuming you're working the flight, correct??
You're on!!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Loungeact
I hope that is incorrect.

Given that the exit row comes with special responsibilities which must be agreed to during check in as well as before take off, I don't want anybody grabing and exit row seat who may not speak english (and thus cannot take instructions from flight personnel in an emergency), is unable to assist the flight crew during an emergency, or is otherwise unprepared to help.

Exit row is special and should remain such.
I guess I should have been more clear. The Flight Attendants are not supposed to police the exit rows in regards to the preferred seating. That the occupants meet exit row safety criteria, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.