Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Can I change one-way stopover award after flew the first segment?

Old May 20, 15, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Alaska Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

I'm planning to book a one-way US-DXB-Asia EK award ticket using my AS miles. I wonder if I can change my DXB-Asia segment after flew US-DXB? Anyone had similar experience?
Thanks in advance!
Old May 20, 15, 11:00 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
It would help to know what kind of change you are talking about? Date change? City change?
Old May 20, 15, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My guess is that it would work...I changed my PDX-SNA to PDX-FAT after flying the FCA-PDX segment on a 12.5k one way award.
Old May 21, 15, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

EK awards might be different.

More info from the OP may help.
Old May 21, 15, 12:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I was told by multiple people including supervisors changes are not allowed on partner reservations after travel has started. Might not apply if it's only AS flights left on the reservation. I lost the rest of a trip while I was on a stopover and wasn't allowed to make any changes.
Old May 27, 15, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, JetBlue
Originally Posted by alphaeagle View Post
I was told by multiple people including supervisors changes are not allowed on partner reservations after travel has started. Might not apply if it's only AS flights left on the reservation. I lost the rest of a trip while I was on a stopover and wasn't allowed to make any changes.
But only on one-way. For a round trip, you can still change it in the middle of a trip. I used this to slide around a trip to get CX business on the way home.
Old May 29, 15, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
It would help to know what kind of change you are talking about? Date change? City change?
I'd like to know then answer for each.
My experience is that the date can be change. However, the city and airline cannot be changed.

Is this correct?
Old Mar 7, 16, 5:33 pm

Programs: Yes.
I've been actively trying to change a destination city on a one way after completing the first leg. Originally booked: SCL-DFW-SAN//SAN-OGG. Trying to change to SAN-PDX. Supervisors and ticketing are all saying not possible.

On the plus side, they did comp us $125 for the 12 hour schedule change for the OGG flight.
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econjon View Post
I've been actively trying to change a destination city on a one way after completing the first leg. Originally booked: SCL-DFW-SAN//SAN-OGG. Trying to change to SAN-PDX. Supervisors and ticketing are all saying not possible.

On the plus side, they did comp us $125 for the 12 hour schedule change for the OGG flight.
I think things have changed in this regard during the past few years because as noted in my previous post from a long time ago, I was able to change PDX-SNA to PDX-FAT after flying MCI-PDX and stopping over in PDX. Months later I tried to change LAX-PDX (stopver)-MCI to PDX-FCA after flying the LAX-PDX and it was a kind, but firm no go. They allowed me change the date only, but not the destination. Speaking of date, I think I was only allowed to change the date to no more than a year from when I flew my first segment. So yeah, I think they've gotten stricter on this one unfortunately.
Old Aug 7, 16, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, AS MVPG 75K, UA PM, MR Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I just tried to change the second segment of my one way stopover award reservation after flying the first and they wouldn't even let me change the date this time. Seems like it is more restrictive yet. I will HUCA and see what happens.
Old Aug 7, 16, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer View Post
I just tried to change the second segment of my one way stopover award reservation after flying the first and they wouldn't even let me change the date this time. Seems like it is more restrictive yet. I will HUCA and see what happens.
Please update if you are or are not successful with HUCA
Old Aug 11, 16, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, AS MVPG 75K, UA PM, MR Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Not successful. 3 attempts. Didn't push hard because AS folks are always so nice. Just poked around the edges of the rules. Disappointing. Might try again as I have a couple of months.
Old Aug 11, 16, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer View Post
Not successful. 3 attempts. Didn't push hard because AS folks are always so nice. Just poked around the edges of the rules. Disappointing. Might try again as I have a couple of months.
Thanks for the follow up
Old Dec 25, 16, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
Any better results on this for date changes only after flying the initial first segment / stopover?
Old Mar 8, 17, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Looking at moving a HKG-JNB redemption on CX back a few months from April to July.

Doesn't look good from the above but would be great to hear recent experiences on this (either positive or negative).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: