'decent' coach seats now blocked?

Old May 11, 2015, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
'decent' coach seats now blocked?

am looking at flights for sea-den on sept 4 and back sept 7. looks like all the flights have rows 6, 16, 17 (bulkhead, exit) fully blocked. On relatively empty flights. I highly doubt that the seats that have sold went to elites who have solely reserved those rows.

Any thoughts on what gives? I know they're going to start selling these but again it seems unlikely that the few sold tickets were also people who'd pay the extra seat charge.

.... a grumbling gold....
Old May 11, 2015, 10:01 pm

New 'preferred plus' seating is introduced later this week...rows 6, 17 and 18 on most aircraft. These seats should be available to select when booking if you're a Gold...try calling Customer Care.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Very funny to called these "preferred" seats since some exit row seats have less padding and the window seats can get pretty cold at times. Row 6 often has you staring at a wall as well along with that tray in the armrest. All of this is well noted on seatguru. Seems like nothing more than another money grab but other carriers are already doing it.

Too bad Alaska doesn't consider a real "economy plus section" vs. changing the name on something that already exists.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
The bulkhead and exit row seats will only be sold to non-elites within the check-in window, so no one's paid their way into those seats (yet).

Are you sure you're logged in to your MVPG account when trying to select seats?

Originally Posted by brarrr
I know they're going to start selling these but again it seems unlikely that the few sold tickets were also people who'd pay the extra seat charge.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
Very funny to called these "preferred" seats since some exit row seats have less padding and the window seats can get pretty cold at times. Row 6 often has you staring at a wall as well along with that tray in the armrest. All of this is well noted on seatguru. Seems like nothing more than another money grab but other carriers are already doing it.

Too bad Alaska doesn't consider a real "economy plus section" vs. changing the name on something that already exists.
window exit seats on 737-400 and 737-700's have thinner seat cushions. They represent 35 of the over 135 aircraft currently in the fleet. And that 35 number will be reduced to about 10 (or less) in three or four years. As that number dwindles, so to do the aircraft that have a "wall" in front of row 6. All other aircraft offer more substantially more leg room in row 6. Further, the window seats in any rowm(on any airplane, on any airline), even those in the coveted First Class cabin, can be colder at times. Yes, row 6, 16 and 17 are "preferred seats" because of their ample leg room as opposed to any other seat in the Coach cabin. Those seem to be the "go to" seats for those MVP Golds that can't score an upgrade so "preferred seating" seems a fairly appropriate name. What I don't get it why any MVP Gold would be irritated by this at all - you'll still get to sit there for free. In fact, you may have a better chance when booking closer to your travel date as others will have to pay to sit there. The airline is monetizing something that travelers value. It's what happens in most businesses.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
yup, logged into the account - shows this way both when i was booking as well as now that it is booked and i go back through 'my trips'.. i'll call tomorrow and see.

i haven't seen a -400 or -700 in the past year. All the -8/900s i'm on make row 6 a no brainer unless it's full. No complaint that it's /my/ preferred seating.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'd think cold seats are a net positive myself
Old May 12, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Hmm, I did a dummy booking while logged in to my account and 6, 16 and 17 are all blocked. I hope this is something that is going to be fixed and even us lowly MVP's can still select them.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So MVPs have to pay for rows 6 or exit rows, and they're not available at booking?

I can bet I'll be irritated by that... good thing most of my travel can be covered by WN or VX. Looks like a-Kayaking I shall go, since things are South of Expected these days.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:17 am
Original Poster

this has to be a minor IT issue that'll get fixed... all the press around the selling of these seats was that elites still got them for free at booking.

except....
a sea-smf booking via avios had been in row 6. now no seats assigned and all of the 6/16/17 rows blocked

a smf-sea booking via $ remains in row 6 but now all the rest of the 6/16/17 are blocked

so again... i think an IT thing that'll get fixed. but kinda amateur hour that it happened at all.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre
Yeah, this is very interesting. Has anyone called in and asked about this?

I just booked a SEA-IAD flight last week using my wife's companion fare on her account (I am MVP and she is not). I was able to select row 6 last week. Went back and looked today and am not able to select row 6 or 17. Though our 6D,E seats are still on our tickets.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Alaska Beyond: as in "you go sit somewhere beyond row six please"
Old May 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Just to add a data point, I am lowly MVP and my current bookings- 10 segments. I already have the bulkheads and exit rows booked, and I am in there for my AS mainline legs, but it is showing no availability in any of the exit rows or bulkheads if I want to move my seats around. My QX segments seem ok, I am still able to move around 1A,B/2A,B alright
Old May 12, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk

If the Alaska Air Survey that was sent out this week is any indication, then the concept of Premium Economy is definitely being evaluated.

My concern is that if PE appears, it might result in Elites getting upgrades from Y to PE rather than F, based on the wording of some of the questions in the first half of the survey.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS
New 'preferred plus' seating is introduced later this week...rows 6, 17 and 18 on most aircraft. These seats should be available to select when booking if you're a Gold...try calling Customer Care.
So far, this is the same playbook of Northwest Airlines (from 2006), just a decade behind. Same seats, no new seat innovation, new found revenue source. Kaching.

Jiburi

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.