Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'decent' coach seats now blocked?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
is it me or is Alaska blocking the middle in these seats -- just looked up AS69 tonight SEA-JNU

if so.... ^_^ <3 <3 <3 ^_^
Don't get too excited yet. At T-45 min. I had all of row 16 to myself. At boarding time every seat was full. On any flight where there is a waitlist (which is amost every flight into/out of SEA) they are going to fill the seats with passengers on the waitlist.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA
As far as I can tell based on recent travel and upcoming seat availability for my reservations, AA Gold members do not have access to these seats in advance, but do have the ability to select remaining seats for free at T-24–so the benefit is sort of in between what's available to non-status pax and Alaska elites.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS
We just flew 6Dand 6F , LAX/ SEA tonight and were not offered a free drink.
Any rumors that MVP's are making out like bandits with Preferred Plus can be put to rest.
6 A and 6 C also were offered only comp drinks.
FA had printed manifest with names of Golds etc. 6E was filled at last minute, then he moved to 7C before takeoff. They were looking for him at service for his free drink.
No worries, we already our evening drinks in The Boardroom before flight.

Observation- is it just me or has the Fruit and Cheese Platter's fruit quality gone downhill and with only 2 slices of Apple? Just a thought.....BBQ sandwich pretty OK. Hot and not dry, coleslaw best when added to sandwich. Husband gives it ^
Old May 20, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by avmba
Here is the FAQ
If I’m an Alaska MVP or American Airlines elite-level AAdvantage member in this seat, do I get a free drink?

Complimentary upgrades do not come with a free beverage.
The free drink is only available to customers who have purchased paid upgrades. However, MVP Golds and
Gold 75Ks are always entitled to a complimentary premium beverage when traveling in the main cabin.
This seems like a stupid policy -- especially for MVPs. Why slight their own frequent flyers? I don't drink, so not having the free drink doesn't really affect me but if I'm sitting in a seat that has this perk, I should be entitled to it.

Although, on the other hand, at least they didn't take away my row 6 from me!
Old May 20, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by berliner5000
This seems like a stupid policy -- especially for MVPs. Why slight their own frequent flyers? I don't drink, so not having the free drink doesn't really affect me but if I'm sitting in a seat that has this perk, I should be entitled to it.
That was my point. If preferred plus includes a free drink, then why doesn't an MVP get a free drink. Now is it really that big a deal, no....but still. It just seems to me if you get the "upgrade" by being an elite then you should get the perk that comes with the upgrade. That being said, at least they didnt downgrade MVP and block them out of the upgrade.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:02 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Tiering benefits is a sound business policy.

I'm struck by whining. If an MVP wants a free drink, pay for Preferred Plus or fly more.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by dayone

I'm struck by whining. If an MVP wants a free drink, pay for Preferred Plus or fly more.
No kidding. It seems very generous that MVPs are allowed the same access to the preferred plus seats as 75Ks and MVPG.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by dayone

But we don't have to pay for Preferred Plus and nor do I think there is an option for MVPs to do so -- although, paying the drink is obviously cheaper.

P.S. I'm not whining, I'm just sharing my confusion about "tier-ing benefits" in this way. I don't really care about the free drink or the paid drink. I know that Delta offers free drinks (note: plural as in more than one) for all passengers in their comfort + seating whether or not they paid for the seat -- I'm not sure about the other airlines matching this.

I just think it's foolish to make a point of only giving drinks to individuals who paid for the seat vs. all their elites in that section. Why reward the infrequent traveler who paid as little as 15$ extra for that seat vs. the frequent traveler who flies on your airline at least 20k miles per year?
Old May 20, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by pcoll

Observation- is it just me or has the Fruit and Cheese Platter's fruit quality gone downhill and with only 2 slices of Apple? Just a thought.....BBQ sandwich pretty OK. Hot and not dry, coleslaw best when added to sandwich. Husband gives it ^
I just flew PHX-SEA yesterday and was surprised mine had 4 slices in it. and lots of grapes.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Are there any limits on what AA elites can get the seats? My wife is AA Gold but I couldn't select those seats for her. I assume she can't move me as well, regardless?
You need to be Platinum or EXP to select the preferred seats more than 24 hours in advance.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by critterchick
You need to be Platinum or EXP to select the preferred seats more than 24 hours in advance.

Thanks. Managed 2 seats in row 6.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: lots of little things
The way I see it (no comment on right or wrong), Preferred Plus is just the marketing term for a paid bundle by of; seat with extra leg room, drink, and pre-boarding.

MVPGs get open access to all seating, their free drink because they are MVPG, plus their established pre boarding group.

MVPs/AA EXP and PLT get open access to seating, their established pre boarding group. The drink just continues to be unbundled.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
First time on AS in months and first time since these were introduced. Both of my flights in row 6 had empty middles. Much better than First class. I'm certian this was the reason why

Glad i didnt chose 6ABC because it was full with a non-rev and a couple playing the "But I'm Handicapped" game.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
First time on AS in months and first time since these were introduced. Both of my flights in row 6 had empty middles. Much better than First class. I'm certian this was the reason why

Glad i didnt chose 6ABC because it was full with a non-rev and a couple playing the "But I'm Handicapped" game.
I noticed some empty seats back in row 6 on a fairly full JNU-SEA flight yesterday...nice change if I don't get F but so far this year, I've only had to sit in Y twice...once on SEA-PHL and once on SEA-PDX (other than award tickets) so this MVPG is happy
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:35 pm

My experience is that if the flight isn't full, the rows that have open seats are typically row 6 and the exit rows. Bonus for MVP/MVPG/75K's. Not sure if that was anticipated when this program rolled out but it's a nice bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.