FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS 76 - Emergency landing at YVR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1677148-76-emergency-landing-yvr.html)

WikiHNL May 3, 2015 7:33 pm

AS 76 - Emergency landing at YVR

http://globalnews.ca/news/1977030/u-...-in-vancouver/

missamo80 May 3, 2015 8:49 pm

I like how the photo in the story is a file photo of an Air Canada Airbus.

Neil

beckoa May 3, 2015 9:52 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Always concerned about this happening, but usually don't have my passport with me. Having flown over Canada over hundreds of times I've never stepped foot in Canada...yet. ;)

Chugach May 3, 2015 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 24760737)
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Always concerned about this happening, but usually don't have my passport with me. Having flown over Canada over hundreds of times I've never stepped foot in Canada...yet. ;)

They are a just and friendly people who love good beer and good hockey.

UAPremierExec May 3, 2015 10:29 pm

and this is *exactly* why I always fly with my passport - domestic flight or not. Who knows when we have to divert to Whitehorse (instead of getting to Juneau).

beckoa May 3, 2015 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 24760820)
and this is *exactly* why I always fly with my passport - domestic flight or not. Who knows when we have to divert to Whitehorse (instead of getting to Juneau).

Anyone know AS' contingency for something like this? Would they let you off the a/c and allow you to continue the journey? Just curious.

lax.sea.jnu May 3, 2015 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 24760852)
Anyone know AS' contingency for something like this? Would they let you off the a/c and allow you to continue the journey? Just curious.

I'm guessing in this case, the passengers were just offloaded into the transborder terminal, which for CBP purposes, is part of the United States.

worldtraveller73 May 3, 2015 11:08 pm

I think this depends if the passengers are admissible into Canada.

I recently dealt with an AC station manager in Incheon Seoul Korea that was dealing with 22 mis connects as a result of a delayed flight. She had mentioned that AC had to accommodate an inadmissible passenger into Korea in the transit hotel on the secure side since they couldn't enter Korea. Everyone else got hotels.

It probably also depends how long it would take to get the replacement aircraft there. SEA->YVR isn't too long. . .

kyden May 4, 2015 12:19 am

After a 4hr delay, it looks like the flight eventually reached Seattle.

beckoa May 4, 2015 12:28 am

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 24760904)
I'm guessing in this case, the passengers were just offloaded into the transborder terminal, which for CBP purposes, is part of the United States.

...as for YXY or other smaller airports?

Interesting to think about.

Finkface May 4, 2015 2:03 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 24760737)

I am shocked and disappointed in you, becoa. :eek: If you are ever stuck in YVR (and they allow you in :D), I'll put you up.

As Chugach says,

Originally Posted by Chugach (Post 24760756)
We are a just and friendly people who love good beer and good hockey.

Fixed that for you. :D

CZBB May 4, 2015 9:46 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 24761068)
...as for YXY or other smaller airports?
Interesting to think about.

I suspect Canada would be very accommodating; to enter Canada you need proof of citizenship and govt issued photo ID. However, they generally also want to see the required paperwork required to go home (which is a passport for a US citizen entering the US).

I suspect the USA wouldn't know what the heck to do with the people.

DG206 May 4, 2015 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB (Post 24762849)
I suspect the USA wouldn't know what the heck to do with the people.

They don't....I am not sure I would be to happy in this spot

http://globalnews.ca/news/1211447/ca...ng-in-montana/