FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   New Routes From LAX: Costa Rica (SJO, LIR), BWI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1676433-new-routes-lax-costa-rica-sjo-lir-bwi.html)

dave1013 Apr 30, 2015 7:23 am

New Routes From LAX: Costa Rica (SJO, LIR), BWI

Carrier adds new flights from Los Angeles to Costa Rica and Baltimore starting Sept. 9

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines will chart new territory this fall when it adds new service between Los Angeles and Costa Rica's two major international airports, further strengthening its southern California focus city. The eight weekly flights from Los Angeles to San Jose (SJO) and Liberia/Guanacaste (LIR), Costa Rica, are scheduled to begin Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 respectively, and are in addition to new daily service the carrier will add on Sept. 9 between Los Angeles and Baltimore.

Liberia is the gateway to the Guanacaste region in the western part of the country, renowned for surfing and sport fishing. While the capital city of San Jose, located about 130 miles from Liberia, boasts museums and historic Spanish colonial architecture. On the blog: Read an Insider's Guide to Costa Rica.

"As the most popular Central American tourist destination for U.S. travelers, Costa Rica is a mecca for eco-tourism, surfing and sport fishing and has been a top request from our customers who enjoy outdoor adventure," said John Kirby, Alaska Airlines' vice president of capacity planning. "Our new Costa Rica flights are well timed for Los Angeles travelers and offer convenient roundtrip connections for our Anchorage and Seattle customers, while our new Baltimore service provides passengers greater access to the nation's capital, complementing our daily nonstop service to Reagan National Airport."

Summary of new Los Angeles-Costa Rica flying:

Oct. 31 Los Angeles-San Jose Depart 8:40 a.m. Arrive 4:35 p.m. MWFS
Oct. 31 San Jose-Los Angeles Depart 5:35 p.m. Arrive 10:05 p.m. MWFS

Nov. 1 Los Angeles-Liberia Depart 8:50 a.m. Arrive 4:25 p.m. TTHSaSu
Nov. 1. Liberia-Los Angeles Depart 5:25 p.m. Arrive 9:35 p.m. TTHSaSu

Flight times based on local time zones

Summary of new Los Angeles-Baltimore flying:

Sept. 9 Los Angeles-Baltimore Depart 10:10 p.m. Arrive 6:15 a.m. Daily
Sept. 10 Baltimore-Los Angeles Depart 7:30 a.m. Arrive 10:40 a.m. Daily

Flight times based on local time zones

To inaugurate the new service, Alaska Airlines is offering introductory one-way fares of $149 between Baltimore and Los Angeles.* Customers must purchase their tickets by May 6 and travel by Nov.18. Visit www.alaskaair.com to find great savings and purchase tickets, or call 1-800-ALASKAAIR (800-252-7522 or Hearing & Speech Impaired (TTY): Dial 711 for Relay Services). Flights will be available for purchase for the new Costa Rica routes starting May 21, pending approval by Costa Rican civil aviation authorities.

The airline is also offering members of its Mileage Plan double miles on flights between Los Angeles and Baltimore between Sept. 9 and Oct. 9, 2015. To qualify, travelers must be members of Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan and register at www.alaskaair.com. Customers who have not yet joined Mileage Plan can enroll at no cost online.**

The new flights will be operated with fuel-efficient, next generation Boeing 737 aircraft that feature Alaska's new inflight experience. Alaska Beyond Entertainment offers customers free entertainment on their own devices including video shorts from partners such as National Geographic and Vevo, as well as the option to purchase blockbuster movies and hit TV shows. With Alaska Beyond Delicious, customers can enjoy food and beverages sourced with items from iconic Pacific Northwest brands and experience Alaska's award-winning service. It's all part of Alaska BeyondTM — a new way to travel, designed to go above and beyond your expectations.

This fall customers traveling from Los Angeles can connect to 21 destinations on Alaska Airlines' 600 weekly flights and earn and use award miles to travel to 84 nonstop destinations worldwide on partners American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Air France, Aeromexico, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Fiji Airways, KLM, Korean Air, LAN and Qantas.

Chugach Apr 30, 2015 7:29 am

Sweet!

Although the return flight really limits connections without an overnight in LA.

djp98374 Apr 30, 2015 7:31 am

Originally Posted by jchilders (Post 24742823)
Exactly this. Going east, 8-9 hours are going to pass on the clock no matter what. Which 1/3 of your day do you want to spend on an airplane? Opinions will vary widely. Personally, I prefer the daytime flight, where I just work from my laptop. I try to put together a set of tasks that I can do without needing Internet access. That's not something everyone can do, though. I suppose if every route had three flights - morning, 3-4pm, and red-eye, people could pick the option they hate the least. Then everyone would be... happy?

My preference has always been to do redeyes. Then I feel like I haven't lost a day to flying. I am one who is capable to sleep on airplanes.

If this was work related travel, Id never do a redeye then straight to work. Id travel the day before.

CMK10 Apr 30, 2015 7:36 am

So LAX-SJC didn't work so now they're going to try the other San Jose? :D:p

CDKing Apr 30, 2015 7:56 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 24744265)
So LAX-SJC didn't work so now they're going to try the other San Jose? :D:p

Hmmm I wonder if AS will file a good Costa Rica fare from BOS and allow the AS codeshare on AA metal BOS-LAX. Although BOS-PDX-SEA-LAX-LIR on a companion cert sounds nice

PV_Premier Apr 30, 2015 8:14 am

Another direct slap in the face to Delta. Happy to see though.

PWMTrav Apr 30, 2015 8:36 am

Wait you can use the companion pass on the codeshare?

yaychemistry Apr 30, 2015 8:58 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav (Post 24744558)
Wait you can use the companion pass on the codeshare?

I think he meant BOS-PDX-SEA-LAX-LIR on pure AS metal with the companion pass.

It might be the same price per person as BOS-LAX-LIR, with the AA code share and without the companion pass - but with AS metal you could use Gold Upgrade Certs.

Single_Flyer Apr 30, 2015 8:59 am

New Routes From LAX: Costa Rica, BWI

For the second time this week, Alaska announced new destinations. This time it is Costa Rica (SJO and LIR) from LAX.

http://singleflyer.com/2015/04/30/co...aska-airlines/

Or direct to the announcement:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/cit...odID:Awareness

Looks like the Delta v Alaska war is heating up :)

CDKing Apr 30, 2015 9:02 am

Originally Posted by yaychemistry (Post 24744706)
I think he meant BOS-PDX-SEA-LAX-LIR on pure AS metal with the companion pass.

It might be the same price per person as BOS-LAX-LIR, with the AA code share and without the companion pass - but with AS metal you could use Gold Upgrade Certs.

Correct but thinking about it MCE is just fine as well compared to F on AS

jsguyrus Apr 30, 2015 9:07 am

The timing of these flights in not great for anyone not in LA. Looks like it will require and overnight in LA if you are headed there from SEA or PDX.

Los Angeles - San Jose 8:40am-4:35pm
San Jose - Los Angeles 5:35pm-10:10pm

Los Angeles - Liberia 8:50am-4:25pm
Liberia - Los Angeles 5:25pm-9:35pm

yaychemistry Apr 30, 2015 9:09 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 24744736)
Correct but thinking about it MCE is just fine as well compared to F on AS

Not worth the extra 2760 EQM (rt)?

BOS-PDX-SEA-LAX-LIR is 6618 ow (including 500 mile min SEA-PDX).

3 weekends will nearly net you MVPG, and you don't even need DEQM!

98103 Apr 30, 2015 9:13 am

I'd rather overnight at LAX than fly DL. Maybe they'll extend hours at the BR to save us the hotel expense. :P

PV_Premier Apr 30, 2015 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 24744757)
The timing of these flights in not great for anyone not in LA. Looks like it will require and overnight in LA if you are headed there from SEA or PDX.

Los Angeles - San Jose 8:40am-4:35pm
San Jose - Los Angeles 5:35pm-10:10pm

Los Angeles - Liberia 8:50am-4:25pm
Liberia - Los Angeles 5:25pm-9:35pm

Originally Posted by 98103 (Post 24744791)
I'd rather overnight at LAX than fly DL. Maybe they'll extend hours at the BR to save us the hotel expense. :P

The timing works fine for the latest bank of flights on AA to other CA cities, I believe (SJC, SMF, RNO, etc).

The DL flights are better timed for broad connections, but they are redeyes from LAX to LIR/SJO.

Eastbay1K Apr 30, 2015 9:22 am

Great news.

But I wonder how many people will now end up accidentally booking SJC v SJD v SJO! ;)