Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Routes From Seattle Starting This Fall: RDU, BNA, CHS

New Routes From Seattle Starting This Fall: RDU, BNA, CHS

Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by 6P&E
Kind of off-topic, but back in the early 70's UA flew at least one, maybe two 727's daily nonstops between Huntsville AL and LAX due to the aeronautical industry based in HSV and the old EA a 727 nonstop from HSV to MCO- back in the days before Disney had changed the whole composition of Orlando-- for the same industry. EA also flew from HSV to SEA with one stop at STL. Odd routings that took CAB approval in those days, but that one or more companies could support.

And some say it's the pharmaceutical presence (among others) in the Triangle that keeps AA flying from RDU to LHR.
BA's LHR-AUS on a 787 is basically a route to serve Dell, IBM, etc. UA flies IAH-LOS for the oil business. It's not really that uncommon.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:10 pm

I wonder where AS would be today if DL had not poked them in the eye.

Do you think they would have embarked upon such an aggressive growth trajectory if DL had not started this war?

It seems to me that for a conservative (and well managed) airline, they have dialed up the risk considerably and sacrificed some yield / profitability for growth, to beat back DL...

As Travel Skills (Boarding Area blogger) quoted:

"By this fall, Alaska will serve 83 destinations from Seattle with 290 peak daily flights, “two-and-a half times that of Alaska’s nearest competitor” boasts Alaska in a jab against Delta in its press release about these new flights. "
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:13 pm

This airline flat out needs more planes. These thin schedules don't provide enough flexibility for most people. And they are adding new routes by shoving Q400s up everyone's XXX on the west coast to free up the limited number of 737s they own. Please buy more planes.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:36 pm

I love Alaska but most of their flights to the east-coast start early morning, taking the whole day which is a complete waste.

Why can't they have their flights start in the afternoon or evening, arriving on the east coast in evening/night, so we can save a work day!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by bofc
This airline flat out needs more planes. These thin schedules don't provide enough flexibility for most people. And they are adding new routes by shoving Q400s up everyone's XXX on the west coast to free up the limited number of 737s they own. Please buy more planes.
Alaska is getting 30 new planes in 2015/2016 with pretty limited retirements. They aren't really hard up for planes to fly the schedule for the most part.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by noamaan
I love Alaska but most of their flights to the east-coast start early morning, taking the whole day which is a complete waste.

Why can't they have their flights start in the afternoon or evening, arriving on the east coast in evening/night, so we can save a work day!
It's really a no-win scenario. If you leave in the afternoon, you don't arrive in the evening, you arrive at midnight. There's a ~3PM SEA-BOS flight that gets in around midnight EST for example. If you leave at night, straight up red-eye, arriving in the morning. SEA-BOS has an ~11PM departure, arriving at ~6:30AM EST.

If pricing is any indicator, most people want to take the morning flight and arrive during daylight hours EST. If anything, I wouldn't mind seeing the eastbound BOS flights from SEA/SAN move up an hour earlier to arrive a bit before dinner time. PDX-BOS is set up that way, arriving just before 4PM EST.

It sucks no matter what. I travel west-east every other month or so, as we have family on the west coast. I end up losing a day of work every time on the return.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
It's really a no-win scenario. If you leave in the afternoon, you don't arrive in the evening, you arrive at midnight. There's a ~3PM SEA-BOS flight that gets in around midnight EST for example. If you leave at night, straight up red-eye, arriving in the morning. SEA-BOS has an ~11PM departure, arriving at ~6:30AM EST.

If pricing is any indicator, most people want to take the morning flight and arrive during daylight hours EST. If anything, I wouldn't mind seeing the eastbound BOS flights from SEA/SAN move up an hour earlier to arrive a bit before dinner time. PDX-BOS is set up that way, arriving just before 4PM EST.

It sucks no matter what. I travel west-east every other month or so, as we have family on the west coast. I end up losing a day of work every time on the return.
Exactly this. Going east, 8-9 hours are going to pass on the clock no matter what. Which 1/3 of your day do you want to spend on an airplane? Opinions will vary widely. Personally, I prefer the daytime flight, where I just work from my laptop. I try to put together a set of tasks that I can do without needing Internet access. That's not something everyone can do, though. I suppose if every route had three flights - morning, 3-4pm, and red-eye, people could pick the option they hate the least. Then everyone would be... happy?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jchilders
Exactly this. Going east, 8-9 hours are going to pass on the clock no matter what. Which 1/3 of your day do you want to spend on an airplane? Opinions will vary widely. Personally, I prefer the daytime flight, where I just work from my laptop. I try to put together a set of tasks that I can do without needing Internet access. That's not something everyone can do, though. I suppose if every route had three flights - morning, 3-4pm, and red-eye, people could pick the option they hate the least. Then everyone would be... happy?
AS is going to offer that for SEA-NYC soon (EWR AM + PM, JFK redeye).
Old May 1, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I already know the answer to this with the risk-averse crowd here (), but thoughts on booking a separate ticket connection at SEA for RDU-SEA (9:00p arrival) to SEA-SMF (9:35pm departure). I guess MCT is 40 minutes, I thought it was 30 or 35, as AS.com isn't showing it as an option

The other, less desirable option is to fly DL for RDU-BWI, then AS BWI-SEA-SMF where I'd have a 2.5hr separate ticket connection in BWI.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by missamo80
I just booked Seattle-Nashville for the inaugural, but man, if they announce Pittsburgh those plans are changing FAST. My wife is a Pens fan, a direct flight would be sweeeeet.

Neil
Oh man, if they announce Pittsburgh I will be so happy. That was home for me and my folks would love it
Old May 2, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I already know the answer to this with the risk-averse crowd here (), but thoughts on booking a separate ticket connection at SEA for RDU-SEA (9:00p arrival) to SEA-SMF (9:35pm departure). I guess MCT is 40 minutes, I thought it was 30 or 35, as AS.com isn't showing it as an option

The other, less desirable option is to fly DL for RDU-BWI, then AS BWI-SEA-SMF where I'd have a 2.5hr separate ticket connection in BWI.
Your flight will already have started boarding if you touch down on time and you have an on-time departure for the second flight. You have five minutes to make it to the gate before AS can legitimately boot you off for standbys for the SEA-SMF flight.

You must be checked in with a valid boarding pass at the gate no later than 30 minutes before your flight. Being late may cause the cancellation of your reserved seats and/or your entire reservation.
This probably won't happen at T-30 if you're checked in, but they will eventually boot you from the flight once they've boarded the flight without you and paged you (assuming that somehow you ended up in N a few minutes late and your flight leaves from D-11- hope you like running).

As long as you don't turn into a whiny DYKWIA if your bet turns bad, sure, go for it! What's the worst that can happen? A night at a nearby hotel?
Old May 3, 2015, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ticketed for the Inaugural (at last) SEA-RDU! Splurged to K class and burned certs as well, flight still has U3 if others want to join.

Old May 3, 2015, 8:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beckoa
Ticketed for the Inaugural (at last) SEA-RDU! Splurged to K class and burned certs as well, flight still has U3 if others want to join.

I'll meet you at the gate!
Old May 3, 2015, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CMK10
Originally Posted by beckoa

I'll meet you at the gate!
Excellent- a welcoming party.

PHL was pretty good- had food and even the mayor made an appearance IIRC
Old May 3, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
No inaugural, but couldn't be feel luckier as a Duck fan to have booked a long weekend to BNA three days before the Titans drafted Marcus Mariota and discovered that the Titans have a home game on the Sunday I'm there. $444 r/t on a K fare upgraded with gold guest codes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.