Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thepinenuts
?????
Buying miles and using them to buy tickets for other people in exchange for cash is against the terms and conditions of the program. Doing so may get your account closed, your tickets cancelled, and your miles confiscated.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything; I do not know if that's what happened here or not. But that is what people are referring to.
eponymous_coward and CREN like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by brintmd
I have been screwed by the buy Alaska miles with 40% bonus. I have done this several times over the past few years and have enjoyed a couple of Emirates flights. I now have over 600,000 Alaska miles obtained by this program as well as shopping through the Miles plan shopping. I purchased 2 tickets for friends to return for Paris this upcoming spring obviously a different last name than mine. They have locked my miles costing over several thousands of dollars as well as money spent using their shopping portal
Buy shedloads of miles and use them for people with a different last name than yours who aren’t related to you. Are you TRYING to get ID’ed as a mileage broker? Because that’s how this works. That is exactly what they do.

Call them and beg for mercy if it’s an innocent mistake, and just realize you can’t broker miles, and should be careful not to appear like it.

And if you “traded” something with your “friends”, sucks to be you. You are a mileage broker. You broke the rules.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:30 am

Would this had been as likely to happen had the OP actually obtained the mileage via flying? I only ask , cause at some point I am exactly the type of person to purchase/upgrade people with different last name then me on a whim.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I remember a discussion I had over on the AA forum a dozen or more years ago with a flyer that accrued all her miles with an AA credit card and did not buy any revenue tickets because she had an endless supply of credit card generated miles. She considered herself one of AA's best customers because of all her credit card activity they were profiting from. On the other side, I was buying over 100,000 miles of flights per year, consistently for 17 years before my move to Alaska. We both contributed to the bottom line at AA, though I suspect top tier elite status might help me out in a bind versus no status at all as a credit card customer (or, in today's case, as a purchaser of miles for friends to fly). Airlines profit from all of us, and if you're playing within the rules and have legitimately given out award tickets, you really shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've given away multiple tickets over the years to family and friends, as well as international upgrades, from AA and UA, and never a hint of a problem. As long as you're within the program rules, no need to worry.

Other than accruing miles through purchase from Alaska or shopping, Alaska doesn't appear to have any flight history with the OP here, so maybe he's just getting a little more attention than someone regularly flying with them that may generate more profit. If everything is legitimate and no sales of miles were involved, and the recipients are able to provide info to satisfy Alaska, hopefully he'll be made whole which could include restoring the tickets.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
May I become your friend?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TheotherJames
Would this had been as likely to happen had the OP actually obtained the mileage via flying? I only ask , cause at some point I am exactly the type of person to purchase/upgrade people with different last name then me on a whim.
Probably not. There is a profile for mileage brokers. This fits it. Actually flying a lot in the account does not.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Title for thread should be different. More like "Don't buy miles if you are going to fit a profile of a broker"

I clicked on the thread to find out:

"For whom and when does it make sense to buy Alaska miles?"
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Change the title of the thread. I clicked in for the same reason.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by brintmd
I now have over 600,000 Alaska miles obtained by this program as well as shopping through the Miles plan shopping. I purchased 2 tickets for friends to return for Paris this upcoming spring obviously a different last name than mine. They have locked my miles costing over several thousands of dollars as well as money spent using their shopping portal
It's been two weeks since you posted. Have you made any progress with Alaska unlocking your account?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Title for thread should be different. More like "Don't buy miles if you are going to fit a profile of a broker"

I clicked on the thread to find out:

"For whom and when does it make sense to buy Alaska miles?"

Nothing in terms says I cannot buy tickets for other people, so I should be free to use such miles which I bought with hard earned cash.

Onus is on Alaska to PROVE that there was a cash repayment in exchange for using ones miles to book ticket for other people, and that such flights were not simply gifted. Otherwise, shutting down accounts and blocking usage of miles bought with hard earned cash is high street robbery.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Nothing in terms says I cannot buy tickets for other people, so I should be free to use such miles which I bought with hard earned cash.

Onus is on Alaska to PROVE that there was a cash repayment in exchange for using ones miles to book ticket for other people, and that such flights were not simply gifted. Otherwise, shutting down accounts and blocking usage of miles bought with hard earned cash is high street robbery.
According to the Mleage Plan General Terms and Conditions, AS owns the miles and can suspend access to them at any time for any reason.

Awards or accrued Miles, including purchased Miles, do not constitute the property of the member to whose Mileage Plan account the Miles have been posted. However, awards or accrued Miles do provide the member with an option to exchange such Miles for travel at the redemption level in effect at the time of redemption (not at the time of accrual).

Alaska Airlines reserves the right to audit Mileage Plan accounts at any time and without notice to the member to ensure compliance with these Mileage Plan Conditions of Membership and applicable conditions of carriage and/or tariffs. In the event that an audit reveals discrepancies or violations, the processing of Mileage Plan awards, mileage accrual or redemption of accrued mileage may be suspended until the discrepancies or violations are resolved to Alaska Airlines' satisfaction. Alaska Airlines reserves the right to terminate the membership and/or suspend access to the mileage balance of any member at any time for any reason it deems appropriate.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by dayone
According to the Mleage Plan General Terms and Conditions, AS owns the miles and can suspend access to them at any time for any reason.
They can write whatever in T&Cs, doesn't mean it's enforcable if challenged by a credit card chargeback or in a court of law (depending on state/province/country).

Example: Even though some loyalty programs may say points or miles expire within, say, 2 years of being earned, Quebec and Ontario outlaw expiry of loyalty points based on X months/years since they were earned.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

They can write whatever in T&Cs, doesn't mean it's enforcable if challenged by a credit card chargeback or in a court of law (depending on state/province/country).
Similar provisions in the AA and UA programs have been affirmed by US courts.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

Example: Even though some loyalty programs may say points or miles expire within, say, 2 years of being earned, Quebec and Ontario outlaw expiry of loyalty points based on X months/years since they were earned.
That’s different because the airline is attempting to do something specifically forbidden by law. Of course that won’t fly. But terms stating that the airline retains ownership of the miles aren’t contrary to law.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:47 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Onus is on Alaska to PROVE that there was a cash repayment ...
I don't see any such obligation in the terms of the agreement with Alaska. Where did you find this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.