Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The chances of AS doing anything for OP here are between slim and nil. He was caught out, had a good explanation and was given back limited use of his account. He then ignored that limitation. He doesn't live in an AS market and has no AS spend. So, to AS this is all downside.

The lesson for others is not to play cute with these things. Of course AS had OP's account noted and when he violated the restriction, alarms went off.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Often1
The chances of AS doing anything for OP here are between slim and nil. He was caught out, had a good explanation and was given back limited use of his account. He then ignored that limitation. He doesn't live in an AS market and has no AS spend. So, to AS this is all downside.

The lesson for others is not to play cute with these things. Of course AS had OP's account noted and when he violated the restriction, alarms went off.
He was caught out? For doing what? Trying to book an award with miles?

Unless fraud has been proven, it's a very strong overreaction. The OP said he bought miles LAST year, so it's been at a minimum 4 months. Certainly long enough to know if the payment method was fraudulent.

Trying to enforce a restriction on ticketing after mileage purchase is nonsense. Every FF program allows them to dissolve the program with no compensation. That doesn't mean it's right or fair.

I recall many people buying AS miles for EK J and F redemptions. Australians got some good deals on the flights. It's the FT way to get a good deal, isn't it?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
He was caught out? For doing what? Trying to book an award with miles?

Unless fraud has been proven, it's a very strong overreaction. The OP said he bought miles LAST year, so it's been at a minimum 4 months. Certainly long enough to know if the payment method was fraudulent.

Trying to enforce a restriction on ticketing after mileage purchase is nonsense. Every FF program allows them to dissolve the program with no compensation. That doesn't mean it's right or fair.

I recall many people buying AS miles for EK J and F redemptions. Australians got some good deals on the flights. It's the FT way to get a good deal, isn't it?
yes, I bought AS miles last Apr. Almost one year.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP may have been using the Fly & Buy "trick" to purchase miles -- http://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/how-...rates-tickets/

For awhile, you could buy a refundable fare on AS and then use "Fly & Buy" to purchase miles at < 2 cents/mile, and then cancel your ticket and still keep the miles. They have since tightened up the restrictions on the program and now subject the miles to additional fees (2.75 cents/mile) should you cancel your ticket. Not terribly surprising that AS would flag accounts that only bought refundable tickets to buy Fly & Buy miles and refunded all the tickets.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 26, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LBJ
OP may have been using the Fly & Buy "trick" to purchase miles -- http://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/how-...rates-tickets/
From the first post,
Originally Posted by haha10
Last year, I bought AS miles when they do 40% bonus promotions. From last year to this year, I collect miles once when I took flight. A few times transfer my SPG to AS account. I did not do any dodgy things.
It's possible we're not getting the full picture, but sounds like a different case here.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:28 am

Someone who only buys miles and redeems for others looks like a mileage broker, whether or not they got reimbursed or profited from the third party redemption.

Hence the restriction to only book tickets for yourself
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by crimsona
Someone who only buys miles and redeems for others looks like a mileage broker, whether or not they got reimbursed or profited from the third party redemption.

^

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks likes a duct, then it probably is a duck.

Just my opinion.

When Starwood or Points.com offers any type of discount, there will be a spike in customers opening AS Mileage Plans from outside of AS's typical customer base. I think it hurts AS Mileage Plan members as members will find it harder to locate Partner Award travel. I am glad AS is doing this.

Would I feel differently if the OP lived somewhere AS flew to or maybe had AS Credit Card, or did ANY type of business with AS? Absolutely!!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

I often redeem miles for other people. Family members, friends, etc. nothing strange about it at all.

Are you saying a broker would spend a lot of money on miles, and wait a year to redeem them. Seems unlikely.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRider
Would I feel differently if the OP lived somewhere AS flew to or maybe had AS Credit Card, or did ANY type of business with AS? Absolutely!!
I wish AS would restrict purchasing of miles to those with US address or at least 1 flight on AS metal. The Australians are taking up what little premium cabin space there is between US and Australia.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I often redeem miles for other people. Family members, friends, etc. nothing strange about it at all.

Are you saying a broker would spend a lot of money on miles, and wait a year to redeem them. Seems unlikely.
A broker would probably buy miles on sale, and SPG has a cap on purchased miles I believe.

Alaska gave the OP benefit of the doubt once, and reopened his account with conditions. Flaunting it a second time sealed it.

Are you located out of US/Canada/Mexico (ie out of Alaska's network), credit zero flight miles to the Alaska program while purchasing all your miles to redeem for friends and family and not yourself? If so, then perhaps Alaska was a bit heavy handed in this case relative to you.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A broker would probably buy miles on sale, and SPG has a cap on purchased miles I believe.

Alaska gave the OP benefit of the doubt once, and reopened his account with conditions. Flaunting it a second time sealed it.

Are you located out of US/Canada/Mexico (ie out of Alaska's network), credit zero flight miles to the Alaska program while purchasing all your miles to redeem for friends and family and not yourself? If so, then perhaps Alaska was a bit heavy handed in this case relative to you.
AS sells miles to anyone anywhere without conditions limiting redemption to account owner. Locking account and preventing redemption after op provided all sorts of documentation showing travel with another party seems rather outrageous to me. Unless there is more to that story that op is not telling it looks like AS is clearly in the wrong here.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
But since that restriction didn't make sense to him, he confirmed with another agent that it would be OK to book a ticket for somebody else, before he booked it.

Are you located out of US/Canada/Mexico (ie out of Alaska's network), credit zero flight miles to the Alaska program while purchasing all your miles to redeem for friends and family and not yourself?
But OP stated he had already credited an EK flight to his AS account. So, not all miles were purchased.

While I also don't like people who would never fly on AS buying miles and taking up the meager premium seats available, AS sold the miles to him so he should be able to use them. No different to all of us that bought LifeMiles, very few of us actually flew Avianca.

When AS sold the miles to OP, did they state then that he can only book tickets for himself? If not, then I don't think the restriction is reasonable.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
I'm really confused as to why AS would limit the OPs ability to redeem miles for a friend. I've done it before -- actually, it was the only time I've ever redeemed miles on AS.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by berliner5000
I'm really confused as to why AS would limit the OPs ability to redeem miles for a friend. I've done it before -- actually, it was the only time I've ever redeemed miles on AS.
Because if he's buying miles to sell premium tickets to "friends" then it's a violation of the T&C.

Not saying that's the case, but accounts that only redeem tickets for other people look much more suspicious, especially when they don't have a flight history with AS.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
But since that restriction didn't make sense to him, he confirmed with another agent that it would be OK to book a ticket for somebody else, before he booked it.
Except a Customer Care agent did tell him only to book award tickets for himself. He didn't like that answer and got a different answer (I would not call it a confirmation but a contradiction) from a reservation agent that he liked better and it didn't work out.

Sometimes calling back in to get the answer you want doesn't pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.